Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #71
rimhof

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
The 10-13's tail lamps are unique/distinctive imo. Sets the rear of the Camaro apart from almost everything else on the highway.
Sorry but it's a uniquely ugly design. GM made it better in 2014 and only improved it in the sixth gen.
rimhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #72
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimhof View Post
Sorry but it's a uniquely ugly design. GM made it better in 2014 and only improved it in the sixth gen.
I am still going with 2010-2013 have not held up to the test of time like I thought they would. Looking at my 13's ass... I want to trade it in for that younger more athletic ass GM has teased me with in May.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #73
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
The 10-13's tail lamps are unique/distinctive imo. Sets the rear of the Camaro apart from almost everything else on the highway.

I am completely on the same page with Ya here.

I like the 6th Gen much better than the refresh, but the original 5th Gen is so distinctive. Same goes for the new 'vette. I love those as well.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #74
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That's a very long and convoluted way of saying... until you see these LED brake lights applied up ahead of you time after time after time, over and over again, your mind and your eyes won't synch quickly enough to know the difference. So what's the point?
That's not how it works.

If you've used a smartphone (especially iPhone) you may have noticed how they use animations to transition from screen to screen. Some are functional like pinch and zoom, but others seem just gaudy like flipping through a Rolodex of album art.

The reason for these animations is that the human brain finds sudden transitions (called jump cuts or smash cuts in film) to be jarring. In fact, the way we process sudden change is as danger. The startle reflex is activated, muscles tighten, and your systems get ready to dump adrenaline. When the brain finally has a chance to process the situation it decides to either cancel the startle (which is still unpleasant; how unpleasant depends on how startlesd you were) or fully commit to fight or flight.

This is great if you have a predator on your tail. Not so great of you're working with technology.

The warm up time on incandescents is dangerous because it tells your brain that everything is fine. You can perceive the transition for one, and the dimmer nature of the bulbs does a lot less for your perception of change. The sudden and bright snap on behavior of LEDs is a wake up call instead and is inherently safer.

Speaking of which, I love the way the HID headlights come on in my RS. The bright flare when they turn on just adds to the threatening nature of the vehicle. Not the nicest to the vehicles around me perhaps, but makes you feel like a badass.

"Even the exhaust sounds angry!" -- Non-Car Person Colleague
Old 06-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #75
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimhof View Post
I bet your the first one here to ever describe the 10-13 tail lamp design as "uniquely ugly". Also, you may be a bit biased imo.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #76
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
That's a very long and convoluted way of saying... until you see these LED brake lights applied up ahead of you time after time after time, over and over again, your mind and your eyes won't synch quickly enough to know the difference. So what's the point?
You can't admit when you are wrong, can you? I just proved LED taillights are safer! You don't notice regular taillights are "on" until about .2 seconds after a LED tail. That time adds to the amount of time it takes to stop. About a car length at highway speed. The instant on factor is another attribute as well, but still doesn't change this 17.6 foot increase in stopping distance.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #77
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
You can't admit when you are wrong, can you? I just proved LED taillights are safer! You don't notice regular taillights are "on" until about .2 seconds after a LED tail. That time adds to the amount of time it takes to stop. About a car length at highway speed. The instant on factor is another attribute as well, but still doesn't change this 17.6 foot increase in stopping distance.
Follow the 2 second rule for distance to the car ahead of you and that extra blink of an eye time won't be needed.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #78
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Follow the 2 second rule for distance to the car ahead of you and that extra blink of an eye time won't be needed.

I give up on you.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #79
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
When is the last time that was even possible without people changing lanes to get in front of you?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #80
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
Ok LEDs are safer, they save energy, look much better which is perfect for many automotive applications and greater efficiency.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #81
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWALEX View Post
Ok LEDs are safer, they save energy, look much better which is perfect for many automotive applications and greater efficiency.
And they help save the polar bears.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #82
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
And they help save the polar bears.
maybe not, but like maybe you know the new cars have several electronic components which requires a major control of the energy
Old 06-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #83
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post

I give up on you.
I don't blame you 'cause I won't likely change my mind about LEDs. They won't stop me from buying a 6th Gen if I decide to.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #84
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
When is the last time that was even possible without people changing lanes to get in front of you?
It's very difficult, for sure. Although vehicles stop, handle, and maneuver much better than they ever have... I think people believe they don't need to maintain a reasonable safety buffer because of that, which is just plain wrong. Many drivers seem to feel invincible and that they can handle any emergency situation that may occur on the highway. I blame too much NASCAR on television .

Seriously though, I think any increases in safety is often negated by the increase in distracted driving these days. And, yes... I think using a cell phone (even the hands free features in cars these days) should be illegal.