Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #71
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
stick, no question. I've grown to be somewhat ok with auto's in a family hauler like our trailblazer, but in anything where performance or control matters like a sports car or truck, I would not own anything but a stick.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:24 AM   #72
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
I drive a manual and live in southern California. So as you coild imagine I sit in alot of bumper to bumper traffic. I hear alot of complaints from people who do not drive manual about how horrible driving in traffic must be, but have never heard a manual driver complain and especially not regreat the decision of buying manual due to the difficulty/annoyance of traffic.
frankly I would hate sitting in traffic in an auto and would probably fall asleep. There are many reasons I drive a manual, and sitting in traffic is near the top of the list.

On my daily route in and out of St louis twice and sometimes 3 times a day, I shift between 5 and 700 times. My wife tried to count one night when she used to ride with me and lost track in the 350's, that was about half way through the night. I've heard people use the excuse of traffic also, and always wondered if they forgot to breath or found it a burden when they were in a group of people or walking. Shifting becomes as natural and reflexive as breathing.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #73
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
I've been driving manuals for 38 years..-and drove the c7 with the cool rev matching option.....which I loved.....that said if I buy a camaro SS it would be with the a8.

Technology has just made the automatics almost impossible to beat.

Gotta go with the faster car...
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #74
nikeair042
VENOM

Drives: Pontiac G8
I don't care if it was a 4 speed manual. No place for an automatic in a performance sports car. I cant stand people who buy automatic's in a Corvette or a CTS-V. You are buying a big horse power machine meant to be driven and enjoyed. That's the one thing I miss sooooo badly with my G8. Even tuned, it doesnt shift when you want, does stupid shifting when racing around a track, and manual mode still has a lag between shifts. If I want to be in traffic and leave it in 2nd gear, let me. If I am on the highway in 6th gear and want to floor it, I've gotta wait a couple seconds for it to kick down to 4th, not even 3rd like I want it to. And if it's in manual mode I've got to flick the shifter 3 times and it goes through each gear on it's way to 3rd.

If you buy an SS, buy a manual. I don't care if you sit in 2 hours of traffic a day, you'll have some killer calf muscles. Man up and buy a manual.
Appearance Mods: Red painted calipers, 20% Rear Tint, 35% Side Tint, front side marker tint, G8 GT Visor decals, V8 Badge, L76 oil cap, Roto-Fab Radiator cover, G8 GT Badge, shorty antenna, CF intake tube, CF plenum cover, GXP rear diffuser, red/black shifter, SLP black spoiler, gloss black roof
Performance Mods: Roto-Fab intake, Borla Cat-Back exhaust, hood-vent mod, VMS Tune, 160*, SLP LT headers, Camaro brembo's and rotors, BMR suspension parts, Eibach springs
nikeair042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #75
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Wow that is huge for me. I wonder if they disabled it at the computer or removed all the valve train components as well.
If its like the current ones, the lifters are all non-afm and there is no VLOM assembly, just a regular valley cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #76
That_old_guy

Drives: 2016 Jetta sport
manual, cant count the number of times i've tried to stomp down on the clutch pedal while driving my wifes corolla only to remember it dont have one
That_old_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #77
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
Manual. I've driven autos only over the past 5 years and miss shifting. Just something about rowing though the gears. I'll probably regret my decision first time I get stuck in traffic though.
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #78
Vizard_87

Drives: 2008 G37
I have a 2008 Infiniti G37 and I was thinking on getting the 2015 mustang gt but now that the 2016 camaro has been revealed I think I will wait for more info. I'm thinking on the 6MT (first time owning a MT)
Vizard_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #79
mvfjet

Drives: hoopty mustake
the only reason I'd get a Camaro over a dodge charger is for the sole purpose to shift my own gears. Even my wife (who I taught how to drive manual transmission) told me no way in hell can I get an automatic!
mvfjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #80
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
My 2012 has a M6 and is lots of fun on spirited drives and on the road course. My daily drive to work on country roads is no problem, but at the drag strip the manual is a real bummer. Hard to get consistently good reaction times, nearly impossible to get good consistent launches and hard on the driveline. Maybe if I lived at the drags I could figure it out, but going only 3 times a year makes it tough. I may go with the A8.
No flame intended, but why would you base your transmission choice for all of that car's use on an activity so rarely participated in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
I've been driving manuals for 38 years..-and drove the c7 with the cool rev matching option.....which I loved.....that said if I buy a camaro SS it would be with the a8.

Technology has just made the automatics almost impossible to beat.

Gotta go with the faster car...
This point always seems to come up, and I still don't see the appeal of having to share the credit with a transmission that does it all for you (or the people who programmed it to be able to).

We've owned manual transmission cars exclusively for over 40 years, and have no intention of changing that no matter what car we buy next. At this point, it's just the way we expect cars to work.

6-speed manual.

Norm
Old 05-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #81
royo

Drives: 1999 Trans Am WS6
A8 for sure. I have a bad left knee.
royo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #82
JayhawkNation

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro 1 SS
I've been driving a manual as a DD for the last 7 years, and for the last 4 years that includes a 45 minute commute in rush hour traffic. For me, I've never given much thought to traffic being an annoyance, as shifting became like breathing within months after learning to drive one. Outside of traffic though, it's really difficult to try and put into words the experience you feel while shifting and working the clutch. Again, not something that I go into deep thought about while I'm driving, but it's certainly a feeling of absence when we take out our 13' Camaro - which is an automatic. I have to rest my hand on the shifter in that car out of habit. Thankfully though, I've convinced my wife to let me teach her how to drive a manual so that we can trade in the 13' for the new SS w/MT.

I saw a few comments about younger drivers really liking paddle shifting. I'm not arguing with that, but being 25 I wonder if anyone else near my age finds paddle shifting to be awkward/awful/boring/overrated? I've given it an honest try for a long time now, and it's still just not something I can get behind. It's worse than trying to substitute a veggie burger for the real deal.
JayhawkNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #83
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
I hear you Norm and respect your opinion for your choice.

I still stand on the premise that since the manuals are no longer the quicker version or as consistent that the next performance car I order will offer me the experience the new technology of today's performance cars.

I'm not running out to sell my manual transmission c6 z51 but when I do....I think I'll try the automatic transmission version...

No wrong choice in my opinion just personal ones...
Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #84
Kdogg

Drives: Hyundai genesis
Auto for sure! This will be a daily driver and traffic has become so bad nowadays,that it takes all the fun out of it! Besides paddle shifters are fun!
Kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote