Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #71
Betiwin

Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Ya, I plan on intercooler, CAI, pullies and tune, maybe headers. Should help a lot.
If i was buying a Z these would be my exact mods. Tint the windows plus those mods and put gas in it every 5 days and drive the Sh*t out of it.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #72
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp01 View Post
Most important test for you. I find corners to be exceptionally fun and far more important.

I hear you man.. i respect your opinion ..!

Hey you have more pics of your cae? i am ordering the gm ground effects package and i have black and want to keep them gray too.. It looks sick with the cyber gray stripes..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #73
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Oblig: "Why isn't this in the Camaro VS area where it belongs?" comment
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #74
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
that chart is exaclty what is wrong with the internet. It is all about numbers and not reality....
One could make a pretty good arguement that numbers ARE reality, I think. One could also make a good arguement that there is more to comparing a couple of cars than those numbers, which I'm sure is your take - and a quite valid one indeed.

And finally, one could argue that the chart is being mostly ignored because the numbers aren't what the majority of this audience wishes to see.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #75
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Oblig: "Why isn't this in the Camaro VS area where it belongs?" comment
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #76
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
If these cars could talk this would be the conversation.

ZL1: Anything you can do I can do better
... I can do anything better than you
GT500: No, you can't
ZL1: Yes, I can
ZL1: Yes, I can, yes, I can

GT500: Anything you can be I can be greater
... Sooner or later I'm greater than you
ZL1: No, you're not
GT500: Yes, I am
GT500: Yes, I am, yes I am
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #77
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
If these cars could talk this would be the conversation.

ZL1: Anything you can do I can do better
... I can do anything better than you
ZL1: Yes, I can, yes, I can

GT500: Anything you can be I can be greater
... Sooner or later I'm greater than you
GT500: Yes, I am, yes I am
LMAO!
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #78
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
30% is reasonable

Testing a $200k car against a $210k car is reasonable

The point is that's what's practiced around the world - I'm just telling you how it is. The fact that you don't think it's reasonable is irrelevant because the world doesn't care about your opinion when it makes its comparisons.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #79
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The GT500 excelled in both the straight-line speed test and the road course. Ford was determined to compete in this class, and IMO they have done a remarkable job with the GT500. Preference is one thing, but the actual numbers show the strengths and weaknesses of the competing cars.

I wonder what Chevy is planning for a rebuttal?

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #80
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
And finally, one could argue that the chart is being mostly ignored because the numbers aren't what the majority of this audience wishes to see.
As I stated in another thread I think the chart is mostly being ignored because the chart emphasizes what people already know, as it has 11 effectively repetitive straight line acceleration comparisons.

A chart that displays the results of essentially redundant straight line acceleration comparisons 11 different times is not noteworthy, as people already knew that the GT500 is faster in straight line acceleration, and the fact that the GT500 is faster than the ZL1 in straight line acceleration is simply not news that needs comment.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #81
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I wonder what Chevy is planning for a rebuttal?
There is no need for a rebuttal from Chevrolet as most reviews so far have concluded that the ZL1 is the better overall vehicle.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #82
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberB5.Slow View Post
I'd still prefer a straight line car than a corner carver anyday. I'd rather have the advantage where I can use it anywhere on any road where 99% of driving will take place, rather than making excuses, "Well if we were at the Autocross..." . GT500 in my book, it's faster and more powerful.

If I wanted a corner carver I'd build a kickass 240 for half the money and smoke both cars on the track.
I'd prefer the car that is more comfortable where it will spend more than 99% of it's time for most, the street. And still have a blast at the drag strip or road course.

If I wanted a straight line car I'd build a kickass drag car for less than a 1/3 of the money and smoke both of them at the track. Just sayin..

Didn't buy the car to win trophies, I bought the car to have fun while maintaining comfort where it matters most.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #83
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
One could make a pretty good arguement that numbers ARE reality, I think. One could also make a good arguement that there is more to comparing a couple of cars than those numbers, which I'm sure is your take - and a quite valid one indeed.

so as those numbers decline lap by lap that is reality still? I was hoping the 2013 would not have these issues.

as you oil temps rise, brakes fade, etc that is better on the track?

reality does not car about time in a magazine. when you are coming into a corner you have good brake pedal or you don't.

that is the differnt between the internet and reality. you keyboard never has brake fade, oil temp, water temp, etc.

if I want a car for a track day I like the car that actaully will do better that day. does not have to be the fastest.

of all the amercian cars tested the ZL1 is one of the few that does not seem to exibit bad behaviors during a review on the track. with the exeption of Z06 Z07, Zr1 but they usually get reviewed as being harsh at the limit and they are.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #84
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
As I stated in another thread I think the chart is mostly being ignored because the chart emphasizes what people already know, as it has 11 effectively repetitive straight line acceleration comparisons.

A chart that displays the results of essentially redundant straight line acceleration comparisons 11 different times is not noteworthy, as people already knew that the GT500 is faster in straight line acceleration, and the fact that the GT500 is faster than the ZL1 in straight line acceleration is simply not news that needs comment.
Ok. For the sake of discussion, and because its very slow here today, I combined all the acceleration stuff (and top speed) into "acceleration", and came up with this (just as useless, but fun) little matrix. It shows "wins" for each category based on the 4 magazine's results:

Acceleration:
GT500 = 4
ZL1 = 0
Not reported = 0
Most "wins" = GT500

Braking:
GT500 = 2
ZL1 = 1
Not reported = 1
Most "wins" = GT500

Skidpad:
GT500 = 1
ZL1 = 1
Not reported = 2
Most "wins" = Tie

Slalom:
GT500 = 1
ZL1 = 2
Not reported = 1
Most "wins" = ZL1

Road Course:
GT500 = 2
ZL1 = 1
Tie = 1
Most "wins" = GT500

Broken down that way, in raw numbers, you end up with the following:
GT500 wins 3 (Accel, braking, Road course)
ZL1 wins 1
Cars "tie" on 1 (skidpad)

Final results = 3-1-1

I leave off gas mileage because its not a performance metric in the same sense as those above, and most folks don't buy these cars for mileage (though it is something I always consider...regardless of what kind of vehicle I'm purchasing).

Of course, those things that can't be measured include ride comfort, level of ability needed to obtain x or y numbers, and what is often called the "feel" of the car. Other things that are often ignored include visibility, available options , how well a car is equipped in base trim, cost of ownership, mpg, warranty, etc.

Let us not forget personal preference on looks and brand loyalty (abundant on BOTH sides...in spades)

As always, we draw our own conclusions.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote