Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-02-2022, 11:17 AM   #71
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I'm just bummed. I thought I made a pretty good joke on page 1, but after 4 more page...nothing.

Last edited by AZIROC; 05-02-2022 at 02:06 PM.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #72
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
One of our cars has the standard EE-can, and it does great. I think we get about a tea spoon to table spoon out every oil change (which is probably about every 700-miles). I just pulled the lid off, and it was pretty dang clean, like seen in the video. There was little to no puddling anywhere.

I think any and all these cans are worth at least something. That MM might be better for bigger power cars, but I think I have what suits my build and plans.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:54 AM   #73
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
the MM just seems illegal with a vent to atmos on road or on a track. id be shocked if it passed race inspection. the other looking sealed up just seems better.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:09 PM   #74
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
This is not the way a vented catch can works. The vent is just like a crankcase breather. When excess pressure builds in the crankcase, it has to go somewhere, the crank front main seal can potentially blow out under high boost applications, so the breather helps prevent this. On a stock vehicle, it may not be needed but when you start raising the boost, a breather should be a necessity. The MM catch can doesn't vent all the time, the one way check valve prevents that. It only vents when there's any excess crankcase pressure. The filter stops any oil residue from escaping only allowing the excess air to vent. its a very smart design which incorporates two valuable pieces of equipment in in one.
I understand how it works, but could still be a reason for denial of a warranty claim with a stock car.

Elite filters and vents back to the intake (closed loop) which is how most catch can systems work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Show me one test NOT done by a catch can company that proves this and that proves that a catch can will prevent this.
Extremely well documented problem with DI engines. Savagegeese (and others) have videos on it
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #75
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
I understand how it works, but could still be a reason for denial of a warranty claim with a stock car.

Elite filters and vents back to the intake (closed loop) which is how most catch can systems work

Extremely well documented problem with DI engines. Savagegeese (and others) have videos on it
I’ve seen GM deny claims with a closed loop can too. So toss that argument out. I have a friend now that’s facing this problem. Stock with catch can, I believe it’s a Tracey Lewis can. He’s got very low compression on cyl 5 and they are blaming the catch can.

“ Tampering with emission systems causing a rise in crankcase pressure” Basically blaming it for damaging the ring pack. So now he’s fighting with corporate on it.

He should of took it off yes, but point here is even for dumb stuff like this they can deny a claim. So now his attorney has written in asking to show proof how this damaged his ring seal(s).

Burden is on them.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:32 PM   #76
ZX-10R

Crazy - vents to intake and it's a relatively low air flow
Old 05-02-2022, 01:44 PM   #77
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
The MM also vents back to the intake tract. Its only when pressure exceeds the check valve on the breather that it vents to atmosphere. With the road course top their is no breather on top, just a hose that comes off that position which can be routed to a location of your choosing. Just for clarification
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #78
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
One of our cars has the standard EE-can, and it does great. I think we get about a tea spoon to table spoon out every oil change (which is probably about every 700-miles). I just pulled the lid off, and it was pretty dang clean, like seen in the video. There was little to no puddling anywhere.

I think any and all these cans are worth at least something. That MM might be better for bigger power cars, but I think I have what suits my build and plans.
My mighty mouse wild gets a lot more than a tablespoon, but I drain it at every 3k mile oil change. It's about 2-3 ounces. My blower is dry, no oil pudddling. Again, I'm not proclaiming one to be better than another unlike most Elite owners. I'm sure both do their job, the built in breather is just a bonus.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #79
ZX-10R

+1 I get a close to an oz every 3-4k miles, def more than a tablespoon
Old 05-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #80
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
My mighty mouse wild gets a lot more than a tablespoon, but I drain it at every 3k mile oil change. It's about 2-3 ounces. My blower is dry, no oil pudddling. Again, I'm not proclaiming one to be better than another unlike most Elite owners. I'm sure both do their job, the built in breather is just a bonus.
That's the one thing, in my curiosity, that seems like it could be a very small liability, but probably easily defeat-able, IF it has any merit. I get the venting, and that makes sense, and seems great. But what about the vapor from the venting? I'm, honestly, asking if there's any problem with it dripping or the vapor leading the oily film where it shouldn't be? I could easily see zip-tie'ing a small rag around the filter if I were that concerned, but I'm just wondering for anyone with one that might be willing to add to conversation.

I don't really like the idea of venting to atmosphere, and the emissions-part of that, but I'm less concerned about that (and what little, if any, impact it honestly might have) than the benefit of relieving crankcase pressure. I'm seeing 15-16-lbs of boost (not making power a lot of you are making at that level with H/C/LTs/etc.), but boost is boost, and pressure is pressure, so I'm kinda' wondering if I might want to jump ship and try a MM.

And for clarification - I stated MAYBE 700-miles between oil changes. If I changed at 3K-miles, it would, obviously, be more

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 05-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #81
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
That's the one thing, in my curiosity, that seems like it could be a very small liability, but probably easily defeat-able, IF it has any merit. I get the venting, and that makes sense, and seems great. But what about the vapor from the venting? I'm, honestly, asking if there's any problem with it dripping or the vapor leading the oily film where it shouldn't be? I could easily see zip-tie'ing a small rag around the filter if I were that concerned, but I'm just wondering for anyone with one that might be willing to add to conversation.

I don't really like the idea of venting to atmosphere, and the emissions-part of that, but I'm less concerned about that (and what little, if any, impact it honestly might have) than the benefit of relieving crankcase pressure. I'm seeing 15-16-lbs of boost (not making power a lot of you are making at that level with H/C/LTs/etc.), but boost is boost, and pressure is pressure, so I'm kinda' wondering if I might want to jump ship and try a MM.

And for clarification - I stated MAYBE 700-miles between oil changes. If I changed at 3K-miles, it would, obviously, be more
I thought the same thing. But someone here mentioned the Metco Valve Cover Breather. I kept my installed CC and added the breather. That seems more practical than replacing your CC.

Ps. Just ship it to me and I'll forward it to you
DSX Flex fuel/Low side
NW 103mm TB/Roto-Fab CAI
Monster S Series
Elite E2-X
2" TSP LT's
BMR:BK063, BK060,TCA061, UTCA060, UTCA063
Weld Beadlocks/17" NT5R2

Last edited by MartinLe; 05-03-2022 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add info
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:28 PM   #82
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Quote:

MM sells a sock that goes over the filter.
I never had oil residue around it.

Name:  Screenshot_20220503-212301_Gallery.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  116.0 KB

If you don't like the venting to atmosphere part, you could upgrade to their fitting top conversion. And route that hose to the oem air filter box. I did that before I switched to the wild kit.
https://youtu.be/2hdm8i2Huck
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #83
radz28
Petro-sexual

AH!!! Sweet!!! Thanks for the info!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #84
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I’ve been running my MM Wild for 2 years with many dyno pulls and drag strips runs. I’ve never had any oil residue in my engine bay at all. It’s spotless.

Tags
catch can, elite engineering catch can, mightymouse