Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #57
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Coilovers.

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis
Old 02-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #58
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Lowering your ride with springs also limits the upward travel available. .
Nope... it shortens the downward, the upward stays the same. Coilovers shorten both. The springs will expand the struts all the way up if they have weight place upon them.

Lowering springs will harden the ride, I am swapping from PFADTs to Hotchkis. PFADTs are too soft for my taste, I am also swapping the OEM struts with Koni. While the ride is harsh, I knew what I was getting into, I bought a "sports car", not a luxury car.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #59
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
Nope... it shortens the downward, the upward stays the same. Coilovers shorten both. The springs will expand the struts all the way up if they have weight place upon them.

Lowering springs will harden the ride, I am swapping from PFADTs to Hotchkis. PFADTs are too soft for my taste, I am also swapping the OEM struts with Koni. While the ride is harsh, I knew what I was getting into, I bought a "sports car", not a luxury car.
OK, stop and think about it, go ahead I've got time. You are incorrect.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #60
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I am at a different shop now and I am sure they timed the bushings. It's not riding "way high", just at normal factory ride height, which of course seems too high.

I am sure the issue with the rear "bounce" was the rate of the Hotchkis springs. That's why I am asking, if I went with JUST BMR springs and everything else factory, what kind of ride quality could I expect?

Which BMR springs are recommended for the '11 V6 convertible (considering it's heavier than the V8 coupe). And what spring rate does BMR offer for this application?
Here are the V6 Springs

Fronts - 160/200

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...051&superpro=0

Rears - 285/430

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...052&superpro=0
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #61
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
OK, stop and think about it, go ahead I've got time. You are incorrect.
I honestly think you guys are saying the same thing to a point here - the miscommunication is travel relative to the car vs. the suspension components.

Anyway, Mr. Stacy, just to insert my experience: I used the Eibach springs on my Synergy V6. I realize your car has a couple hundred pounds extra being a convertible - but if you're looking for a middle ground between lowering the car and keeping the ride quality I can tell you the Eibach springs were a bit stiffer than the OEM springs but put the car at a nice spot height-wise. Maybe try there?

IMO, you want to keep the stiffer sways no matter what. The Camaro will roll like a boat in turns and float around like a caddy without them.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #62
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I am sure the issue with the rear "bounce" was the rate of the Hotchkis springs. That's why I am asking, if I went with JUST BMR springs and everything else factory, what kind of ride quality could I expect?
Leave it stock. The Hotchkis coil spring rates are 210/440 (front and rear, respectively). The overwhelming consensus on this forum is that Hotchkis coil springs offer the best overall ride quality of any manufacture. Therefore, if you were unsatisfied with Hotchkis coil springs, you will verly likely be unsatisfied with BMR coil springs.

JMO.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #63
Jiver11

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Spring rates can have a drastic effect on how stiff the car feels. I know this applies in coilovers and should be similar to just swapping out the springs on the OEM strut assembly.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #64
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
The car handles excellent. I can floor it and the front rise is barely noticeable. Body roll is almost non existant. I think improvement could be gained from solid subframe mounts, but I really don't want to sacrifice any more ride quality. There has to be a happy medium between enhanced handling and road forgiveness. The roads around here suck.

One night I drove an overloaded box truck from downtown San Francisco, to Everett, WA over two nights. Absolutely the worst roads in the West, are from Tacoma to Seattle on I5. Every other (meaning about half) road around here also seems to be in poor condition. Suspension around here needs to have a little forgiveness if you want to actually be able to drive your car.

I just wish I could lower it a bit and still have it be driveable. I'm ok with where it's at, but would be nice a bit lower.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #65
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I had my Hotchkis 1" springs in for 4 yrs. and no bounce & the car also handled great on the road course and I don't have coil overs. Just had the car get a new alignment. I just took my off cause of having put the electric cut outs on. And had a new alignment again.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #66
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
That's because Mr. Stacy along with the crazy roads around there in Seattle they are too busy giving all the money to bums and illegals to fix the road, why if they were just stupider they could inspire the keeping Portland weird crowd who voted themselves higher taxes on gas so they could fix the roads,( they steal the money...people like oh Sam Adams.... for stuff like oh a Stupid Tri-Met rail line at a butt billion dollars a mile that has the same ridership as 1970 so they can Go look at me ! look at me! ), Meanwhile they have like a billion dollars of unfunded liability to pay for life time medical for the bus drivers as they are union and vote for...... yes , and then they in their latest wisdom; why the Portland city council wants to force landlords to pay the moving costs of renters who get their rent increased by more than 10% a year, and then at the same time creates a giant shortage of housing with their policy of urban and city land use, ( unless it high rises for homeless ), and act all self righteous supposedly fixing problems they themselves created while laughing off the anarchists as cuddly....

AH life in the big city....... one of the worst traffic cop staged ticket areas...from Tacoma to Seattle, worst down town city parking and street lay out; Seattle, sorry dudearino...... Served a couple years at fort Lewis back in the day, 3/60 infantry straight leg was going to go to Humvees some day....New school back then, and being forced to go into a regiment and move overseas with the same prejudiced bastards over me while being involuntarily extended for peace keeping duty in the Golan heights after a barracks disaster over there with the Marines and a militant car bomber....well it lead me to leave the service, and believe me hate goes both ways, sits on your NCO academy rights, delays your promotions, keeps you form going before the board.... Yup I am a white guy under duress.......... OH we don't talk about that though we love our last back sniping world wrecker!

SO dudearino, dude of dudes, I am glad to have served but glad to not be in a big where all news is generated from and they are all that matter just like the millennials....I would rather deal with the scum of the earth in the state pen training them than lay my life on the line with a hateful group of idiots over me holding me down. And yes I was not allowed to go to officers candidate school with my excellent test scores.....I guess a infantryman is hard to find with a brain, I did logistics for a year in a mechanized brigade s-4 2nd 13th infantry, both units no longer exist ....... likely with the cuts the down sizing of our supposed great defense that's been slaughtered by the money monster...you know the one in a particular party that always has ways of spending the other guys money...that's their party slogan.... The party of the other guys money....

And what a shame..."First at Vicksburg"... 40 rounds sir....... and then "GO Devils" are no more..... named for charging up hills in enemy fire in Korea... right along with the 3rd brigade of the 8th infantry division ..."pathfinders".

SO many good units with so much history deserve a resurrection by the blood of our ancestors and a scream must be heard in heaven and hell for the units to come back into life and young good men to protect and live to kill our enemies with every fiber of their being. DO not go quietly into the night!!!!! Damn I am getting old, and glad I am not lowered it would scrape the crap out of my Camaro and give me hemorrhoids like damn jeep seat in old Willys.....

Well hey this is a good place to ramble, or for one liners ripping another person when your a D - - K, but hey its also a helpful place..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8th_In...(United_States)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_I...(United_States)

Well I guess one survives, the go devils..now they are east coast..... LOL and a regiment god bless em, to the utmost extent of their power GO Devils!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60th_I...(United_States) And god bless America.....

Last edited by christianchevell; 02-04-2017 at 08:51 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote