Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #57
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Wow, those times are vastly different! I'm sure the OP has made his decision now. What was I thinking. Cause a quarter of a second is the only thing the OP cares about. It's true, he stated it in his OP.

See how high up it was on his list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
The C6 Corvette (LS2) is heavy on my mind.

Was wondering if getting an SS will relieve the temptation.

I saw many folks own both or mention owning one. I did a search and found some feedback.

Which do you prefer? C6 or the SS? Excluding the back seat thing.

Feel free to put in as much detail as you want. Mpg, torque, visibility, looks from others, preference, etc.

I test drove a 2011 C6 before. Turning the key was like awakening a beast but driving was like riding in a rattle can. Never drove an SS yet.
Oh, wait. it's not there. Torque is. Torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
I'm in Daytona Beach Florida as I'm writing this. I rented a 2012 Vette from Budget. It seems to not be as rough riding as my SS. As far performance goes I can feel more power in the Vette compared to a stock SS. I have about 550 RWHP in my SS so of course my SS would kick its ass. I love the push button start and the push button doors. I can say that next summer I'm really considering getting a Z06. I would like to know how the Z06 handles and feel the power difference between the base Vette and the Z06. All in all I'm inpressed with the Vette.

So you believe your rental C6 wasn't as rough riding as the SS? Hmm, good to know. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #58
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
I'm not into 0.25 time differences as its up to the driver, condition of the car, air temp, track temp and condition, etc.

Corvettes are few here but they're kinda eh. I compliments on my car from strangers all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
I'm in Daytona Beach Florida as I'm writing this. I rented a 2012 Vette from Budget. It seems to not be as rough riding as my SS. As far performance goes I can feel more power in the Vette compared to a stock SS. I have about 550 RWHP in my SS so of course my SS would kick its ass. I love the push button start and the push button doors. I can say that next summer I'm really considering getting a Z06. I would like to know how the Z06 handles and feel the power difference between the base Vette and the Z06. All in all I'm inpressed with the Vette.
I thought about doing that.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #59
Desert Dog

Drives: Red Jewel 2SS RS 6M
I've owned both

I had a 2008 C6 (and a 2000 C5 before that). I currently have a 2011 SS that I special ordered. Both the C6 and SS have the LS3, and both are manual.
They are two different animals, in a sense. The one thing you notice about the SS (which is obvious) is that in the SS you have a LOT more car around you.
The SS is more trouble-free....at least that has been my experience. Neither Corvettes were lemons, but they have their issues. THe C6 is known to have some electrical gremlins. the battery drain is high....if you don't drive it often you can wake up to a dead battery. THe factory recommends a slow charger be hooked up if it sits more than a week. (I actually got an email from a tech at Bowling Green on that).
I like the SS better......but that is after owning two Corvettes and a 911 widebody.
Would I buy another Corvette? Yep... Just be prepared for a few issues from time to time. (IF you get a coupe....watch out for the "roof creeking" problem). I have the soultion to that one.

Desert Dog
Desert Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #60
TastyBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
I had a 2008 C6 (and a 2000 C5 before that). I currently have a 2011 SS that I special ordered. Both the C6 and SS have the LS3, and both are manual.
They are two different animals, in a sense. The one thing you notice about the SS (which is obvious) is that in the SS you have a LOT more car around you.
The SS is more trouble-free....at least that has been my experience. Neither Corvettes were lemons, but they have their issues. THe C6 is known to have some electrical gremlins. the battery drain is high....if you don't drive it often you can wake up to a dead battery. THe factory recommends a slow charger be hooked up if it sits more than a week. (I actually got an email from a tech at Bowling Green on that).
I like the SS better......but that is after owning two Corvettes and a 911 widebody.
Would I buy another Corvette? Yep... Just be prepared for a few issues from time to time. (IF you get a coupe....watch out for the "roof creeking" problem). I have the soultion to that one.

Desert Dog
Sounds like bad grounding.

Ah, so it was the roof that rattled. I thought it was the
A-pillar/roof connection. Anyway to fix that besides duct tape or a
Tig?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #61
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
Sounds like bad grounding.

Ah, so it was the roof that rattled. I thought it was the
A-pillar/roof connection. Anyway to fix that besides duct tape or a
Tig?
1)A rubber O ring on the male post
2)shrink wrap the post
3)lube the crap out of everything including the weatherstripping at least once a month. (this worked for me)
4)pre-2009 models needed a roof latch upgrade
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #62
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Sorry, I couldn't post earlier. I was banned. Anyways anyone who thinks the LS2 and SS are a drivers race have no idea what they're talking about. I currently own an '07 LS2 A6 and I used to own a LS3 SS. I would never ever consider trading back to a 5th gen, even the ZL1. I liked my SS for comfort but that was about it. As hugger said I went 12.4 with a tune and tire in the LS2 and it made 352 rwhp, I also ran a 12.4 in my SS with full bolt-on's and 423 rwhp. My Vette now has 392 rwhp and runs significantly faster than my buddies similarly modded 430 rwhp A6 SS. Comfort the SS wins because it's a bigger car and has bigger seats, etc. As far as driving there is no competition. The Vette wins hands down. Acceleration, handling, stopping, being able to actually see all around the vehicle. I have been very happy with my decision to sell the 5th gen and buy a C6 even if it's an LS2. I would have loved to get the LS3, those motors are monsters, but I wanted a lower payment.

Last edited by Black5thgen; 05-20-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #63
jperaino

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I have had corvettes all my life. I currently have a 2012 C6 Grand Sport LS3 A6 Comvertible and a 2013 2SS L99 Convertible on order. I can say that as a daily driver I prefer the Camaro. It is much easier to get in and out of and even rides a little smoother. They are both automatics with the C6 at 436 hp and the camaro at 400 hp. They are both great cars but let's remrmber, the C6 had a MSRP of $80,050.00 whereas the Camaro will sticker at around $46,000.00. For the money the Camaro is a much better buy. Although I don't have my Camaro yet, I had access to a 2012 for comparison purposes. Also that Camaro back seat might come in handy sometime.
jperaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #64
TastyBake

I'm looking at having the corvette as my 2nd car as back seats are good for storage.
I'm never subjecting adults to the back of the Camaro but its good enough for kids.
Looks like I should keep the V6 camaro for a DD.

Based on you guy's feedback, the SS is a more comfortable and sensible choice which caused me to go back/forth. But I'm still focusing on a black auto '07 LS2. However, I'm now putting '08 LS3. on the radar. I've seen a few in my price range.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #65
Wind29

Drives: 15 2LT RS, 09 C6, 15 Silverado 4x4
Similar situation

Bringing this thread back just a little as I'm in a similar situation. I actually have a 2ss A6 on order.... But I've found a 2009 C6 (A6) with 9k miles on it that will cost about the same (it's a 1LT). It is also at the same dealer so my deposit could be transferred to the vette.

The back seat is optional for me, a nice to have... But judging by most of the responses here a C6 LS3 > L99. New vs. new I agree but what do y'all think about the pre-owned vs. new? The other item that could play into this is that the vette is GM certified and would have a 2 year warranty.

Thanks for your opinions!
Wind29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #66
Mike-D
HTFU

Drives: 2SS/RS
In the words of the great Bill Paxton-"The Vette gets em' wet." End of story.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #67
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
[QUOTE=WheelmanSS;4875037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Even my '96 LT4 Corvette will outrun my '11 2SS.QUOTE]

..... huh?

I'm not sure that's correct. The LT4 C4s were nice down low, but I can't see one running past an LS3 Camaro.
I don't agree with the whole outrun statement, but the lt4 was very fast in its day. Mine would turn consistent 13.20's at 107-108 and I did run a best of a 12.94 with it at 109. That would put it on par with a stock ls3 with the right driver.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #68
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I test drove a 2013 Z06 last night and have to admit I'm in love with it. I have a 2011 SS supercharger and all the other bolt on shit and the Z06 would whip it's ass. My dealer just offer me a 2013 Z06 for sticker minus $2000 rebate and $3000 GM card money and they are giving me $33,000 for mine with 18,000 miles. I'm trying to decide what color to get and what options. I'm going to miss my Camaro but now I get to start all the modding again.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #69
Wind29

Drives: 15 2LT RS, 09 C6, 15 Silverado 4x4
I got the same feeling driving the base vette vs. unmodded L99... The C6 prices are good with the C7s coming out, including the Z06. That is a good machine in any generation. I wish I had a bit more cash to step up to that one.... I can only imagine what that was like. I had a ride in a friends 2002 Z06 when it was new, and it was a bad mofo.
Wind29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #70
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I just sold my 08 c6 last year and have missed the car ever since. The ride is better in my 13 Camaro and I love the my link system in the camaro but is probably the only things I like better then my vette. Oh and I can enjoy my camaro all year round where as I stored the vette for winters. Looks, power, comfort, style and just plan old cruising or some track time, it's no contest, my vette hands down. I just want a new 14 vette as the new style is amazing in person so my camaro is holding me over until I can get the new vette.
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote