Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #57
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post

I'll keep quoting this old thread til the cows come home or someone disproves it. The GM CAI dyno'd a 16HP increase. Look it up.
On a V6?
Iron Lung Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #58
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
On a V6?
No! Sorry if I missed that. It was a V8 as I recall. Though his handle was CreeperRS. Now I guess I’m not sure. It’s still here somewhere.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #59
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
what the hell is with this troll?
I think he probably ran into a S/C'ed or Turbo V6 Camaro on the street and had his butt handed to him.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #60
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I think he probably ran into a S/C'ed or Turbo V6 Camaro on the street and had his butt handed to him.
Stigma, every car enthusiast has one. Some are worse than others. Shouldn't bother you unless true.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #61
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
I tried to scope the intake valves last night, its not possible the intake has to be removed. Personally its hard to believe they are carboned badly because it runs too well. I also run Pennzoil Platinum oil 5-30 which helps to keep intake deposits low. I also use a small amount of Lucas fuel system cleaner at every fill up. Because of reversion some of the cleaner gets washed into the intake valves. If I get a nice day where I feel the need I may pull the intake. I checked with Autozone and the intake gasket set is 36 bucks..........more than I want to spend just to peek at the valves.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #62
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
V6 are for feminists and tree huggers that sit out front of Starbucks and complain about how everyone should be like them .....Just take another puff off your vape and chive on you under powered v6 fan girl. Pathetic excuse for a motor

V8 rule the world , it's our world buddy and your just kinda living in it

SS FOR LIFE
What a great response bro lmaoo. Reply of the week for sure hahaha
dporter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #63
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
Manual is always way more fun and more capable. There are things you can do with a manual that you can't do in an automatic. I don't care how fast an automatic can shift. I'll never own one if I can help it. If a car only comes in auto, that's 100% a dealbreaker for me. But then, most people aren't enthusiasts. :(
I agree! I mean, isn't driving an automatic basically just like driving an electric car? Kind of like a golf cart or a Prius or am I being redundant? Just sayin'.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #64
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
I tried to scope the intake valves last night, its not possible the intake has to be removed. Personally its hard to believe they are carboned badly because it runs too well. I also run Pennzoil Platinum oil 5-30 which helps to keep intake deposits low. I also use a small amount of Lucas fuel system cleaner at every fill up. Because of reversion some of the cleaner gets washed into the intake valves. If I get a nice day where I feel the need I may pull the intake. I checked with Autozone and the intake gasket set is 36 bucks..........more than I want to spend just to peek at the valves.
I wouldn't totally rely on that reversion process to keep the back of the intake valves clean on a direct injected engine. Since the fuel never comes in contact with the back of the valves during combustion, the deposits that build up there are in the form of hard crystaline like carbon deposits that even a slight fuel mist from reversion would not help. That's why a major induction cleaning is usually recommended after accumulating so many miles.

Even though you may think performance is not reduced as the deposits build up, it is because, like anything else, you get used to the ever reducing performance over time.

Even with that oil, I would still invest in a catch can and clean-side separator. And, when you rack up so many miles without a catch can, it's probably a good idea to have a complete induction cleaning performed to ensure everything is cleaned out before you install the catch can.

A fuel cleaner is a wasted effort on a direct imjected engine because fuel never touches the intake tract. The only thing it will do is help to keep the fuel injectors clean. However, using a good top tier name brand fuel when filling up will probably do that anyway.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #65
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Quote:
Manual is always way more fun and more capable. There are things you can do with a manual that you can't do in an automatic. I don't care how fast an automatic can shift. I'll never own one if I can help it. If a car only comes in auto, that's 100% a dealbreaker for me. But then, most people aren't enthusiasts. :(
The 1/4 mile fast list disagrees with you.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #66
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
When I wanted a new car in 2004 the only car GM sold with a manual was the Corvette. I bought a Nissan; 6-speed, 4.13 screw, fat summer tires...
When the 5th gen was made available I was back in a GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
I would like to know this feature that a manual can do that a well tuned auto can't. I'm definitely interested hearing this one. Rev matching? 6A has it..... Direct drive? 6A has that too. Ability to shift faster than your arm can physical throw a gear lever? Yep..... 6A has that covered as well. So what can a stick do that today's modern auto can't? If you're talking about the driving experience, it is different yes, but I bought my auto with the sole intention of low ETs and consistency. Ask the poor schmuck LS3 owner who got his butt kicked raw by me this past weekend...... LOL.
Let's see you control the stall speed with your left foot.
Rev it up and pop the clutch at 40MPH.
Shift as hard or as smoothly as you like every time you shift.
My favorite: Give your daughter and her boyfriend a ride. The friend asks her, "Can you drive this car?" See the huge grin on her face when she replies, "Yes. Yes I can."

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
The 1/4 mile fast list disagrees with you.
My SS has never seen a drag strip. And if I ever do go I don't intend to set a new world's record.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #67
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Let's see you control the stall speed with your left foot.
Rev it up and pop the clutch at 40MPH.
Shift as hard or as smoothly as you like every time you shift.
My favorite: Give your daughter and her boyfriend a ride. The friend asks her, "Can you drive this car?" See the huge grin on her face when she replies, "Yes. Yes I can."

My SS has never seen a drag strip. And if I ever do go I don't intend to set a new world's record.
You can't just rev it to 40mph........if you're at a stand still, you are at 0 mph......... Physics don't lie. And you don't ever just pop the clutch. You definitely don't know how to drive a M6 if this is your technique. If I wanna perform a smile inducing burnout, no clutch pressing needed, just prodigious application of the right foot on throttle pedal will more than suffice.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #68
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
And one wonders why the world is almost at war.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #69
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Uh... Who the hell buys an automatic? The correct transmission doesn't have AFM.
Manuals are alot of fun. Today's cars take zero skill to drive making it easy for you. So guys like you can pump your chicken chest and enjoy your average at best skill set. The only thing you will beat me at in my stalled...geared ..tuned and tired auto is excuses as to wtf just happened.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #70
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I agree! I mean, isn't driving an automatic basically just like driving an electric car? Kind of like a golf cart or a Prius or am I being redundant? Just sayin'.

Look at you trying to be funny. I'm an auto guy that's driven manuals for a long time. Is there any advice you can give me.?
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote