Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #43
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
LOL at the negative comments, if you don't like them, don't buy them simple enough, it looks like ZL1Addons has plenty of interest for their product elsewhere anyway.
LOL! Agreed, just ignore the thread and move on. The guy is testing the waters here on C5. If you're not interested, move along.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #44
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Are there any plans to make some that are less aggressive (i.e. that don't stick out as far), so that they might pair well with the Z/28 spoiler and wickerbill? I guess one could always trim them a bit.
Yea, similar to the C63 black series ones
Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #45
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Looks awesome. Love the color...

-Don
I've toyed with the idea to go along with my ASC front splitter, but the upward angle on the ZL1Addon's product just looks too extreme to me. The angle on the ones on this orange C5 look better (better not meaning more functional, as I have no idea if either are really functional).....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #46
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
LOL! Agreed, just ignore the thread and move on. The guy is testing the waters here on C5. If you're not interested, move along.
It’s a forum where ideas and opinions are exchanged. And that’s done by posting your opinion and comments for all to see. Or not. If you don’t like what I don’t like on a forum where opinions are part of the design model, move along!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #47
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
We just made them for the guys that wanted them. We have had hundreds of requests for them and not drill into the front bumper or fender, and not just tape on. we sold all we had in the first 4 hours. we do have a few more made. A dive plane is for a rear wing, does nothing much if the car does not have a high rear wing.

Still waiting for dive planes for the 10-13 SS. Any time table on making them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #48
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Still waiting...
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #49
xXTRITON1Xx

Drives: 2013 V6 Camaro
Same still waiting
xXTRITON1Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #50
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
so ugly, why does this exist.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #51
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
A dive plane is for a rear wing, does nothing much if the car does not have a high rear wing.
I beg to differ with this statement. Unless the intent is to say these have to be balanced with a high wing spoiler. In that case it would be more proper to state a high wing spoiler should be balanced with a splitter. These side strake/vortex generators are principally designed to clean the air flow down the side of the car while creating minimal down force. The large volume of air spilling off of the front bumper cover creates a large turbulence area that can be cleaned up with these or like devices.

Splitters create down force at the front of the car. They can also be used to reduce the volume of air getting under the car. A high wing rear spoiler takes advantage of the cleaner air above the separation boundary where the rear of the car slopes down or drops off at the roof line / rear window area. Vortex generators can be used to lower the separation boundary to increase the limited effectiveness of the lip spoiler which serves to reduce the lift/drag at the rear of the car caused by the same separation boundary area. You can also increase the effectiveness by extending the spoiler surface rearward placing it back into the airflow. Think ProStock cars. Blade spoilers have slightly better effectiveness but at slower speeds than a high wing spoiler. The faster you go, the higher the separation boundary is. Most 60's / 70's road race Camaro's and Mustangs ran the blade type spoiler mostly due to a lack of a true understanding of the air dynamics on cars. Look at how vertical the spoilers are on the back of NASCAR vehicles now. Look at the design of the rear spoiler on the newest Corvettes. Both of these spoilers raise the "hard" surface of the rear of the car with increased air pressure, reducing the amount of lift and drag created.

These side spoilers are designed to clean up the air flow along the side of the car specifically at the wheel well openings. They create a bit of down force, but create a bunch of drag as well due to air "stalling" the same as a wing on an aircraft will do if the angle of attack is too high.

Air spills over the side of these, creating a new separation boundary out a slight bit from the car, thus avoiding the increased turbulence that is in place at the wheel wells. With the use of these strakes and a low splitter, it is possible to reduce the air volume hitting the front of the front tire. These in no way, other than as a total package, work in any way with the high wing spoiler.

Side skirts work with a splitter to limit air under the vehicle. This in effect creates down force due to reduced air pressure under the car.

The lip spoilers on our cars offer little down force, due to being under the smooth air at the top of the separation boundary. Deck spoilers can also increase drag not only from the obvious air flow obstruction but from the tumbling air behind the "blade spoiler."

Its easy to make claims of effectiveness of various bits and pieces, but, until they are tried on a SPECIFIC vehicle in a wind tunnel, these are nothing more than baseless claims. This is akin to ordering the Vortex generators off of Ebay and sticking them on the car and claiming you can feel the downforce improvement.

Additional information relative to the type of performance desired by the car owner operator also have to be factored in to any equation. I've driven my SS to speeds in excess of 225 mph. These side strakes wouldn't last one pass.... Let me correct my statement, the only possibility these would remain on the car is if the air flow coming off the front bumper/grill area created a big enough separation boundary that the air passed right over these with no effective surface contact.

The idea behind the original design of these is as an overly large vortex generator taking advantage of the air coming off the front bumper. It was to be used to allow for the air flow down the side of the car to stick closer to the car and negate the turbulence at the wheel wells.

Cosmetically, thats a personal choice... Lots of people don't like the splitter application on my car with 6 adjustable prop rods/struts. Its functional in my case and at the speeds I drive. I also have video and imagery of my car with and without the splitter. The air gap at the front tire / fender well opening is surprisingly notable with and without.

Below is the installation of my front splitter with 6 adjustable prop rods. I can raise and lower it as needed for various conditions. Eventually we will incorporate a Motec dash in my car and use ride height sensors to fine tune the down force at the front and rear of the car. I haven't run it yet, but I have a large adjustable high strake rear deck spoiler I built. The 6 rods are for adjustability and to keep the splitter from flexing down and striking the track at speed.
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #52
Ebohan74
Mash the gas and go fast.

Drives: 2011 C18 Callaway Camaro SC572
Any word on 10-13??
Ebohan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 04:46 PM   #53
dogedog

Drives: Black 2SS V8 Manual
I agree and where in the heck did that even come from, oh yeah, haters! You just can't escape them.
dogedog is offline   Reply With Quote