Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #43
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
im so lost on this. i live in RI not far from you and i survived two winters on stock pirelli's when i had my v6. its not that hard to drive in winter with a camaro just get some freaking winter tires man. now would be a good time as they are cheaper. Also significantly cheaper than a whole new car
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #44
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspindlah11 View Post
I love my 2011 camaro 1Lt. However, Ive had 2 cars, and my winter car is just about dead. Im only 22, and dont have much money to take a chance and gamble on another winter beater to deal with the harsh massachusetts winters. I would also save $900 in insurance a year. Today Ive started driving the awd cars, drove the charger rt awd, disappointed its not a stick and kinda pricy. Then i drove the 2013 wrx. The wrx I gotta say is kind of refreshing. theres no blind spots, its lighter, quicker and more agile and of course is AWD and is an absolute beast in the snow. Think my baby is gonna get traded in, I absolutely love the camaro, no other car can surpass its looks. Just wanted some thoughts. thanks guys.

Hi Corey. I've lived in Massachusetts for 41 years. I just drove my 1SS with the LS3 through the winter. No problems, I got Pirelli Scorpions. Expensive as tires go, but worth it.

I used to drive a RWD car that weighed as much as my 1SS but made 510 lb/ft at 2200 rpm. Drove it 365 days a year, never even bought snow tires, because I was broke. There was no such thing as 'ESC', 'TC', or anti-lock brakes when that car was made. I was stuck once, in that big April Fools day ice storm we had in '96 or '97. Everybody else was too.

The reason I might not be driving my 1SS this winter is the way MA is dealing with snow. I think they are beginning to use small bits of gravel in their snow melt mix. It's called 'anti-skid' and it really beats up cars. I saved some samples from last winter and one of the rocks was 3" long. The others weren't all that much smaller
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #45
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
just buy high performance all season tires.

seriously, it's astonishing that people act like a RWD car is the end of the world in the snow.

Respectfully, all-season tires are no match for actual snow tires in the snow.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #46
MadOven

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
How much is it really saving you though? How far into your loan are you? can you sell your car, pay off your loan and have a down payment for the WRX? You'd be giving up your Camaro to start another loan all over and you still need to outfit the WRX with winter tires. I'm willing to bet I could make it through my winter here in Saskatchewan, which is only about 1200 miles north of you. Provided I spent the money and put proper winter tires on it. I do like the idea of going from RWD to AWD, but I dont know if you will really save anything. Just food for thought. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #47
coreyspindlah11

Drives: 2011 Camaro Lt
I like your comments, its got me thinking.
My Cons (against Camaro): very poor visability. -always going to want a V8 -the paint is kinda cheap, chips so easily - bad in the poor weather - heavy, not very agile.
Pros for wrx: -save $147 a month in insurance. - faster - better in the winter -true drivers car -Fits my friends a lot better!
-Cons against WRX; -doesnt look as nice as Camaro - Premiuim Fuel (but better mpgs when not in boost)
Like I said before, I cant have 2 cars any more. Ill give you a little back ground story, so my all time favorite car is a 1970 Chevelle SS 454. But Love the camaros, and when i heard about the new one coming out I started saving half of my pay check every week to save up for this car. I went to test drive it and then was gonna test drive the mustang, challenger and the wrx. I never got around to test driving the others, I ordered my car the day i test drove it. Ive just gotten so used to my car now, I just wish it had more go. Hence me wanting the SS. But its upkeep is a little steep, and id do my own work, I just dont want to buy tires so often, haha got a bit of a led foot. But the Camaro has such a history and heritage its really hard to part with something your so passionate about. Wish I had more money haha, one day. My goal right now is to save for my future. And yeah I owe 12,800 left on my Camaro and be financing $19k again but i have less on insurance, gas not having 2 cars, upkeep, I can put some money into my savings account again that hasnt grown hardly anything since i bought my 2011 Camaro.
coreyspindlah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Yeah but winters are probably pretty mild in Phoenix.
I don't know about that. We had winter here back in'85. I think it was on a Wednesday. But for the record, I grew up in Michigan and then moved to Illinois, then back to Michigan for college. Then sanity took over and I moved to AZ.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #49
Triple A

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy Green 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Yeah but winters are probably pretty mild in Phoenix.
Yeah it's rough when the temp drops to 50 degrees!
Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace and REar Chassis Brace
SLP 160 Thermostat
Triple A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #50
coreyspindlah11

I guess my problem is its gotta be a used SS or a wrx. I just think its kind of crazy that a regular wrx can just about compete with an SS and has a lot more capabilities. Its the Chevy Brand and the styling of the car that makes me think twice.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #51
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
Yeah it's rough when the temp drops to 50 degrees!
I don't have to shovel the heat like I used to shovel the snow in MI
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #52
Triple A

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy Green 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
I don't have to shovel the heat like I used to shovel the snow in MI
Agreed I grew up in Chicago so I know what you mean.

Keep the Camaro OP and get a set of tires for it, youll be fine!
Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace and REar Chassis Brace
SLP 160 Thermostat
Triple A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #53
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
I guess my problem is its gotta be a used SS or a wrx. I just think its kind of crazy that a regular wrx can just about compete with an SS and has a lot more capabilities. Its the Chevy Brand and the styling of the car that makes me think twice.
lol

You've already made up your mind then. You just want us to tell you it's OK to get rid of your Camaro
Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #54
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I just think its kind of crazy that a regular wrx can just about compete with an SS

A co-worker of mine has a 2013 WRX STi and he said the same thing. So we agreed to take them out and I proved him wrong really quick. It will get the jump because it's AWD but that's it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #55
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Being a Canadian I know what winter driving is. I have a 2012 Silverado I drive for work in 4x4 that also has an AWD mode & works pretty well. But it doesn't stop any better than any other car on ice & snow.....

Oh sure you'll be quick off the light like I am but hang on tight when you got to slow it down.........

Cam

LOL... SO reminds me of my first day out in the Range Sport in the snow. Great to drive, because of the 4x4, M+S tires, and the locking differentials set on "snow"... Until I had to brake quite fast.

OP: I wouldn't bother trading in the car just because you're scared of what it'll do in the winter. As has been said, get a decent set of snow tires and you'll be fine.

My car (602hp/580 lbs ft) was a bit of a handful on the summer Pilot Sport Cups, but after putting on a set of Pirelli SottoZeros it felt planted in the snow.
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #56
coreyspindlah11

I said, it can compete with the SS. SS will win but a modded wrx will give the ss a run for its money