Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #43
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
I picked it up! Some of my shifts were a little rough but I didnt grind gears or stall it on the ride back. I will admit I did stall it in my drive though. I can't stop smiling since I started when I showed up at the dealer this morning. Absolutely love this car!!

Pics coming when I get home from work
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #44
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
I picked it up! Some of my shifts were a little rough but I didnt grind gears or stall it on the ride back. I will admit I did stall it in my drive though. I can't stop smiling since I started when I showed up at the dealer this morning. Absolutely love this car!!

congrats! See I told ya it wouldn't be that bad and I knew you would stall it!! lol we all have or at least in some manual car at one time or another. Before long you will not even realize you are driving a manual, it just becomes instinct to shift.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #45
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
THIS is why the car comes with Hill Assist. They already know folks will come in to buy it and have never driven a stick shift
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #46
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
THIS is why the car comes with Hill Assist. They already know folks will come in to buy it and have never driven a stick shift
I wish mine had hill assist and I know how to drive a stick. Neat feature
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #47
Cully77
FOUR T 5

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th
Quote:
So tomorrow morning I go to pickup my 2013 2SS 6M. The thing is, I've never *owned* a standard transmission car. I've driven my brothers Jeep (somewhat successfully, onroad and off). And I drove my moms Mini Cooper S 6-speed a few times on the highway (quite successfully). But the last time was 5 years ago (in the mini cooper). How screwed am I that I will be having to drive this home from the dealership?

The good thing I guess is the first hour of the drive back is just on the highway.

I was in the same position. Had basically no MT experience. I managed to get it home without a stall, but the next day i stalled it half a dozen times 'practicing'
Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
You'll be fine. Just be patient with yourself and the car and you will make it. It'll take a few miles to get back in the swing of things.
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #49
Micawber

Drives: '92 Chev K1500 + 2011 VR 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Congratulations!

Shortly after I got mine, I found a large empty parking lot one evening with just painted lines, no cement stops. I spent some time practicing coming to a stop in each row and then pulling up to the next. It also helped to practice backing up, if you try to shift one spot to the side from one row to the next a few times. Or you can just drive it around to get used to the clutch too. Have fun!
Micawber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #50
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Here she is! (I need to think of a name for her)

I spent all evening tonight just driving around town and getting used to the hills, intersections, how she handles in the turns with some of the bumpier intersections and such...

Ive gotten pretty decent of holding it on a hill but Im worried that if I do that a lot (my city is nothing BUT hills) it will burn the clutch out pretty quickly. It seems we have a lot of hills not steep enough to trigger hill assist but still steep enough that if some one rides my ass I will quickly roll right into them.

I need to get faster and getting it started I guess so I dont burn out my clutch.

Couple questions:

1.) I'm used to a truck (s10 zr2 with 4.3L vortec) that ran consistently around 180 degrees. This has the needle On/Just-Past 210 constantly.... is that ok?

2.) When idling at a little the RPM needle twitches a bit.. when I first got it from the dealership it didnt do this at all. I guess it was just idling perfectly steady at the same RPM and now seems to be varying by ~100. Is this normal?

NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #51
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Nothing to worry about it , press the left pedal all the way down , shift to 1 gear , right pedal a bit down till 4500 RPM on the dashboard , let the left foot up and holdown for your life , see , piece a cake .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #52
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Sounds like you are pretty screwed. Takes years to learn to drive stick.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #53
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Here she is! (I need to think of a name for her)

I spent all evening tonight just driving around town and getting used to the hills, intersections, how she handles in the turns with some of the bumpier intersections and such...

Ive gotten pretty decent of holding it on a hill but Im worried that if I do that a lot (my city is nothing BUT hills) it will burn the clutch out pretty quickly. It seems we have a lot of hills not steep enough to trigger hill assist but still steep enough that if some one rides my ass I will quickly roll right into them.

I need to get faster and getting it started I guess so I dont burn out my clutch.

Couple questions:

1.) I'm used to a truck (s10 zr2 with 4.3L vortec) that ran consistently around 180 degrees. This has the needle On/Just-Past 210 constantly.... is that ok?

2.) When idling at a little the RPM needle twitches a bit.. when I first got it from the dealership it didnt do this at all. I guess it was just idling perfectly steady at the same RPM and now seems to be varying by ~100. Is this normal?

I like the wheels. Wish they had them in 19". Because I dont want 20" wheels.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #54
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
[QUOTE=NoleLife;5767962]Here she is! (I need to think of a name for her)

Couple questions:

Ya mine runs at about the same and so did my 2010

Ya rpm varies about 100 rpm or so no biggie
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #55
HaulnJ

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 GFX Heritage grill
You can do it. The manual is easy to get used to. the clutch feels a little different because it is a hydraulic activated not manual with linkage. Once you engage it a couple of times you'll do fine. Hold 1st until 3500 or 4000 rpm at least and you should by pass the skip shift.
HaulnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #56
Candy_Camaro
Amanda

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I just drove a manual for the first time in 2 years. I will say this much- the clutch on a Camaro is different from any clutch I have ever used! It doesn't take much to get used to except 1st gear.
Candy_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote