Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
It is not about interpretation insomuch as it is about comprehension.

First bulletin:
The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Goodyear does not recommend using these high performance summer tires when temperatures drop to approximately 40 deg or below, or in snow/ice conditions.

Second bulletin:
Goodyear F1 Supercar Performance tires are a summer season tire and are not intended to be driven on snow, ice, or road surfaces below -7° C (20° F).

To review - first one days they do not recommend driving below 40 deg, right after they warn about surface cracks. Second one says don't mov it below 20 deg because you might get surface cracks.
Again, the first one says you shouldn't drive below 40, this one doesn't mention the 40 deg threshold and only warns about 20 degrees. If you cannot see how they say two completely different things, I will leave this thread alone.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They don't say two completely different things as I read them...hence my use of the word: "Interpretation".
I'm not trying to argue here, I promise!
...what's obvious no matter what's read is that these are not good tires for cold weather.

The first, as I read it:

Under 40º = Driving not recommended, tires lose a lot of traction.
Under 20º = Do not drive, or move, cracks may occur.
If chilled to under 20º, let warm to 40º before driving.

The second, as I read it:

Under 20º = Do not drive, or move, cracks may occur.
If chilled to under 20º, let warm to 40º+ before driving.

So, in my interpretation...they are not different...the first one is just more detailed.

In fact, as I have them up together, here....I'm noticing some of the same language between the two. Someone earlier made the distinction that one is from Goodyear, and one is from GM. I think that person hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
A quote from an earlier post said..."They also made sure a winter tire was available for people who live in colder climates and wish to drive year round".... So, what is this winter tire that GM made available???
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #46
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
I don't think that they picked these because they were the best tire, I think bean counting went into the decision, because these tires are not "supercar tires" in the least. They don't grip, plain and simple, and I am not the only one of this opinion.

I am hoping toyo comes up with tires for this car. If not I will probably get the BF goodrich set as soon as these wear down.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #47
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
I don't like these tires in general, when it was 80 degrees outside I still had a hard time getting these to grip, they always feel like a hard compound, and I suspect that is what makes them crack at these low temps, they are so hard the contraction and stress makes them crack. I used multiple PTM Mode settings as well. When the track opens back up in march I plan on using these up so I can get some Michelin's. These goodyears have been awful tires IMO, and I am usually a fan of Goodyears.
Quote:
I don't think that they picked these because they were the best tire, I think bean counting went into the decision, because these tires are not "supercar tires" in the least. They don't grip, plain and simple, and I am not the only one of this opinion.

I am hoping toyo comes up with tires for this car. If not I will probably get the BF goodrich set as soon as these wear down.
Your crazy, these are some of the best performance tires (less of R compounds) money can buy. Take it to the track where it WAS DESIGNED and you will see what kind of tire they really are. Stick like glue after one lap. They are by no means a hard compound, the soft makeup and fushion is why they crack at low temps. And lets not forget were talkin under 20* for gods sake, thats cold for ANY summer performance tire especially when you throw in 4k lbs and 580hp. These are ZL1's built on the track for performance driving, not plowing snow. you should have stuck with something less.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #48
vincediddy

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I live in Seattle...and I had Discount Tire switch the Supercars out for the Continental Exterme Contact in 315/35/20 and 275/35/20 up front. Great tires.....outstanding grip in the wet. And very reasonably priced..mounted and balanced for close to 1275.00. Wont be disappointed.

Vince
vincediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #49
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: '23 CT5-V BW, '21 Corvette HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincediddy View Post
I live in Seattle...and I had Discount Tire switch the Supercars out for the Continental Exterme Contact in 315/35/20 and 275/35/20 up front. Great tires.....outstanding grip in the wet. And very reasonably priced..mounted and balanced for close to 1275.00. Wont be disappointed.

Vince
Vince, Did you purchase the DW or DWS?

How do the tires look? I assume there is no extreme stretching or bulging with these sizes?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #50
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanti View Post
I'm guessing that you can drive in lower temps but you risk the chance of having splits in your tires. I may just go to summer wheels and tires and winter wheels and tires and be done with it.
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #51
jimmy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Your crazy, these are some of the best performance tires (less of R compounds) money can buy. Take it to the track where it WAS DESIGNED and you will see what kind of tire they really are. Stick like glue after one lap. They are by no means a hard compound, the soft makeup and fushion is why they crack at low temps. And lets not forget were talkin under 20* for gods sake, thats cold for ANY summer performance tire especially when you throw in 4k lbs and 580hp. These are ZL1's built on the track for performance driving, not plowing snow. you should have stuck with something less.

Nope, not crazy at all, these tires don't grip in the least and wear away in 10k miles or less. Not worth having them on at all. There are better, stickier tires out there.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanti View Post
A quote from an earlier post said..."They also made sure a winter tire was available for people who live in colder climates and wish to drive year round".... So, what is this winter tire that GM made available???
Perhaps I spoke out of turn. They were running some of the ZL1 CTF cars in Scorpion Winter tires...a quick search on Tirerack.com shows that there are a couple of options for the OE wheel size:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...35&diameter=20

Personally, I'd recommend buying a smaller set of wheels and tires...maybe SS-size...to save some $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Your crazy, these are some of the best performance tires (less of R compounds) money can buy. Take it to the track where it WAS DESIGNED and you will see what kind of tire they really are. Stick like glue after one lap. They are by no means a hard compound, the soft makeup and fushion is why they crack at low temps. And lets not forget were talkin under 20* for gods sake, thats cold for ANY summer performance tire especially when you throw in 4k lbs and 580hp. These are ZL1's built on the track for performance driving...

Honestly...I am surprised at some of the comments/responses in these threads over the past few months...I can respect differing opinions on the tire versus competitors - but there's just no denying the incredible grip of the OE tire choice in the spring/summer/fall.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #53
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Nope, not crazy at all, these tires don't grip in the least and wear away in 10k miles or less. Not worth having them on at all. There are better, stickier tires out there.

I hope you realize that the "better,stickier tires out there" will also wear just as fast. The stickier they are the softer the compound. Try doing some track days and canyon driving they all wear quickly. The Goodyear tires have tons of edge grip they are sticky. I believe you've already stated that they "wear away in 10K or less".
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #54
jimmy5

I'm well aware of that, the other tires will actually grip however, these don't, sitting there spinning tires doesn't win races
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #55
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
I'm well aware of that, the other tires will actually grip however, these don't, sitting there spinning tires doesn't win races
Are the nannies completely off?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #56
kona

Drives: '12 ZL-1 #106, '10 ZR-1, 07GT-500
Quote:
Have you ever actually tracked a car in your life? "Sitting there spinning tires" is going to happen with this car no matter the tire unless of course you are talking drag radials or slicks.....do us all a favor, take them to a road course and after a lap or two when they have warmed properly, come back and spew your obvious knowledge about what terrible tires these are.....
Scott...
kona is offline   Reply With Quote