Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #43
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
I wish it didn't have that dumb temp display in the middle ....
I'm starting to feel the same way. The way the radio and the temperature display are so far inset looks odd. Even though I do occasionally look at the outside temperature, I would of been fine if PAC omitted it.

From the HVAC knobs up, if they did something similar to the Scosche or Android kit, the upper part of the PAC kit wouldn't look so plain around the perimeter. Maybe if they made the radio opening considerably larger then angled the inner and top sides back towards the radio at more of an angle, the area around the radio would look so plain and empty. I think PAC has the right idea, but they're could of gone a little further with their design.

Kind of thinking they should of done something more like this, but obviously without the knobs and buttons at the top:
Old 09-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #44
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Be glad we have another option for crying out loud.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #45
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if it works
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #46
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
if it works
PAC has a stellar manufacturing reputation, what makes you believe it doesn't work exactly?
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #47
JCunningham

the other 3 havent figured it out yet.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #48
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Be glad we have another option for crying out loud.
I'm happy theres a sixth option when it comes to radios now. But why not point out small things that could make a good product great? Out of all of them, I'll still be going with this one.

I've been in contact with one of PACs technicians over the past couple days. They seem to be interested in knowing the various dimensions of different 2 DIN radios as well as seeing examples of different units in question of working with their kit. Don't know if anything will come out of any of the information I've been providing, but at least they seem willing to listen to feedback.

I have no doubt that electronically, this kit will be superior to every other aftermarket option we have. In my experience, PAC has nailed down factory integration better than Metra or Scosche.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #49
Arksine

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I'm starting to feel the same way. The way the radio and the temperature display are so far inset looks odd. Even though I do occasionally look at the outside temperature, I would of been fine if PAC omitted it.

From the HVAC knobs up, if they did something similar to the Scosche or Android kit, the upper part of the PAC kit wouldn't look so plain around the perimeter. Maybe if they made the radio opening considerably larger then angled the inner and top sides back towards the radio at more of an angle, the area around the radio would look so plain and empty. I think PAC has the right idea, but they're could of gone a little further with their design.

Kind of thinking they should of done something more like this, but obviously without the knobs and buttons at the top:
Not possible. If you look at the other pictures of that unit, you will notice that the screen is part of the faceplace, not the head unit itself. This is also how the MyLink faceplace is designed. You can't fit a double din unit at that angle in the camaro dash.

I do think that they could have left off the exterior temp, you can already get that on the HUD. Other than that, I'm impressed with the way it looks.
Arksine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #50
JCunningham

6th option. i know of scosche, metra, and Hices. what other options are there?

Last edited by JCunningham; 09-18-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #51
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I can't wait to get this unit.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #52
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
the other 3 havent figured it out yet.
- Metra and Scosche rushed to market and never performed adequate R&D, their support has been a lack luster joke at best and the ergonomics look cheap.

- The Android model was a complete failure, introduced only to pray on a niche market void.

- The Alpine unit worked fine if I remembered correctly, but discontinued prematurely due to lack luster sales.

- The iPad/tablet design is expensive, requires local installation and support by a qualified professional and pricey.

- The PC-radio is an extreme DIY and not technically relevant to be discussed here as the skill and technical requirements rival most pro installers

- The PAC kit is miles above the others as it has been under slow R&D for years, learning from the mistakes paved from those above. I would expect their techs to work with pro shops, installers and the general public to assist in any 'field problems'.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #53
JCunningham

well i really hope this one works. i would like to put built in nav in the car
Old 09-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #54
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksine View Post
Not possible. If you look at the other pictures of that unit, you will notice that the screen is part of the faceplate, not the head unit itself.
I'm aware of that, not saying it should be the exact same design, but inspired by it. Its really hard sometimes to put into words some of my ideas I have in my head. Basically I think it needs some sort of design element embossed or incorporated into the plastic to break up the large flat expanse of plastic surrounding the left, right and top of the radio opening. The then, I have not sat in a Camaro with this kit installed and seen it with my own eyes. Seeing it in person vs seeing pictures can be a night and day difference.

Or they could of made the radio opening larger, to accommodate the differences in 2 DIN radios, and the gap that would be left over could be filled with the trim rings that usually come with the radio. Kill two birds with one stone.

If anything, that wide plateau of plastic on either side of the radio could be used to mount switches and buttons for other accessories. I'm sure we'll see some interesting uses for that area by members here.

I still think this kit is the best option by far. I'm sure it will be electrically more reliable than anything available, including the factory radios. I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing it.

Quote:
6th option. i know of scosche, metra, and Hices. what other options are there?
The six options for radios in our Camaro's I was referring to are:

1. Factory 2010-2012 radio.
2. Factory MyLink radios.
3. Metra kit with aftermarket radio.
4. Scosche kit with aftermarket radio.
5. Hices Android radio.
6. PAC kit with aftermarket radio.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #55
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I ordered the Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS head unit. Holding it up to the PAC unit it has a perfect fit. It also has a tilting adjustment to tilt the faceplate for easier access. I have not had time to install yet but hope to start tomorrow.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #56
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Dumb question. My 2013 doesn't have the temperature cutout in the frame (not sure I like that), the temp is on the main display. I also don't have the lock/unlock button underneath the hazards (what is that for?)
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote