Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-12-2024, 08:00 AM   #43
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Not what I’m seeing on my account. It shows I’m not enrolled for Smart Driver on the My Chevrolet app but I was somehow enrolled in the OnStar Insurance driving program (which I never consented to).
That’s how it was for me as well.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:06 AM   #44
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
FWIW I already opted out/off all that stuff. At my Progressive policy renewal my packet did not list "me" but did show my partner by name with a "No Fault Accident", source: LexisNexis.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:07 AM   #45
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Do we know which insurance companies are using this data to affect it's customers?

I have not seen it myself with either USAA, or Progressive.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:33 AM   #46
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Update: after a heated argument with someone at OnStar in a far away country who told me I needed to talk to my insurance company about this and OnStar was and couldn’t be part of the issue I asked to speak to a supervisor. I got a call back early this morning from someone who said they were responding from General Motors. She took all of my information and seemed to be in agreement with me that this was quite an interesting issue. I am waiting for a call from her supervisor. I’ll let you know how that goes.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:49 AM   #47
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Update: after a heated argument with someone at OnStar in a far away country who told me I needed to talk to my insurance company about this and OnStar was and couldn’t be part of the issue I asked to speak to a supervisor. I got a call back early this morning from someone who said they were responding from General Motors. She took all of my information and seemed to be in agreement with me that this was quite an interesting issue. I am waiting for a call from her supervisor. I’ll let you know how that goes.
Further proof that GM is not to be trusted regarding Onstar. You are not the first to complain of getting the run around dealing with this issue. Not even supposed "supervisors" know what the hell GM is doing with customer's private info.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:18 AM   #48
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
The problem with calling OnStar and complaining about this supposed issue is because you're reaching the lowest-paid staff besides the janitor in their office buildings. They're equipped to start, cancel, or answer basic questions about OnStar using scripted language. Of course this is causing madness. They truly don't know what you're talking about nor do they know how your data is shared.

GM, Chevrolet, and OnStar all have their data privacy policies available on their main internet pages, as well as how to request to opt out of certain communications and data sharing. Start there. And, also, read the dang policies.

When buying a vehicle, you signed a lot of forms. Probably way more than you remember, and 99.999999% of you didn't sit there and read every one plus all the fine print. Some of you even signed up for OnStar. You consent to a lot, more than you probably know, by accepting the terms of service. Read them.

But again, start with the main internet url pages for GM, Chevy, OnStar and go from there. Screaming at an OnStar rep on the phone or even your salesman... not gonna get the results you want. And check those settings on your App and account, be sure to un-enroll, opt-out if that's what you want.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 09:22 AM   #49
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Not what I’m seeing on my account. It shows I’m not enrolled for Smart Driver on the My Chevrolet app but I was somehow enrolled in the OnStar Insurance driving program (which I never consented to).
Quote:
Continue to monitor/manage your Data & Privacy settings in the Chevrolet website/app. Your settings should look like the images below in the website.

That would prevent any future driving data collection. Your Camaro will still most likely show "Connected" which is part of the Diagnostics for oil life, tire pressure, etc. Next step is to get your data deleted/removed from LexisNexis data warehouse.
Attached Images

Current mileage: 313

Last edited by Junction65; 01-12-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:55 PM   #50
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Someone else asked, but I'm going to ask again... ...How does this pertain to used car buyers? Is this something that needs to be addressed for "us" used car buyers? I've purchased several used Chevy's and was always told "if you want OnStar, call and activate, which of course I don't do, but now I can't help but wonder....
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:01 PM   #51
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Someone else asked, but I'm going to ask again... ...How does this pertain to used car buyers? Is this something that needs to be addressed for "us" used car buyers? I've purchased several used Chevy's and was always told "if you want OnStar, call and activate, which of course I don't do, but now I can't help but wonder....

If you don't have a profile/account on Chevrolet.com, create one and add your used vehicle. You should be able to manage the settings for that vehicle once it's added.
Attached Images

Current mileage: 313
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #52
MT-SS1LE

This got me to thinking about permanently disabling Onstar since I don't trust GM at all. Before going so far as to pull the module, can anyone confirm if simply pulling the Onstar fuse disables all functions of Onstar? What other vehicle functions are affected? I thought I read some say the compass will no longer work and another mentioned the microphone not working. I can easily live without those.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:10 PM   #53
Camby

Drives: 2023/2SS/1LE/RadiantRed/A10
Quote:
After some hefty increases in my insurance premiums and being turned down by Hagerty for insurance on a classic car I own, I requestd a report from LexisNexis which is used by insurance companies. To my complete shock my 23 Camaro ZL1 has been sending reports to them every time I drive it. I never authorized this and have been on the phone all day with OnStar and tech support at the My Chevrolet app. OnStar repeatedly denied any involvement in sending the data and tech support for the My Chevrolet app confirmed that I have never created an account for this vehicle. The dealer has no idea why this happened. I've been on the phone all day and still no answers. Not sure what to do next, no one wants to claim responsibility or help me find out how this happened and how to stop it.

7 acceleration events? No they didn’t deny you insurance for that lol. My insurance would have dropped my ass by now if that was true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2024, 04:11 PM   #54
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
This got me to thinking about permanently disabling Onstar since I don't trust GM at all. Before going so far as to pull the module, can anyone confirm if simply pulling the Onstar fuse disables all functions of Onstar? What other vehicle functions are affected? I thought I read some say the compass will no longer work and another mentioned the microphone not working. I can easily live without those.
This is the thread that has all that info. I’ll be doing the radio board removal this winter for sure using this thread as a guide.

TLDR; sounds like pulling the fuse makes you lose the Bluetooth microphone whereas doing the radio board removal does not cause that issue.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467634
Old 01-12-2024, 04:47 PM   #55
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
This is the thread that has all that info. I’ll be doing the radio board removal this winter for sure using this thread as a guide.

TLDR; sounds like pulling the fuse makes you lose the Bluetooth microphone whereas doing the radio board removal does not cause that issue.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467634
Thanks, I remember seeing that thread before. I'll have to go through it again. Honestly, I try not to answer or make phone calls while driving. So if that is the biggest trade off, losing the mic, I can deal with it. Has compass functionality been confirmed as another casualty of pulling the fuse?
Old 01-12-2024, 05:56 PM   #56
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
A lot of finance companies do this incase you default on the loan, they can find the car to repo it.