Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #43
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Im not saying the Camaro isnt good in the snow. it weighs 3800lb. thats good for the snow. But I get really pissed when I see a accident and it is some kid driving on summer tires. What if some kid killed your kid because they bought a car and couldn't afford winter tires. Im not bad mouthing the op or anyone that drives their car in the snow. just you better have the right equipment to do it safely. Iv only been driving 4x4 trucks for 19 years and iv never gone off the road or been in a accident because conditions. Around here we see a lot of kids in mustangs with $3000 rims in the ditch even when we get just a dusting. The heavier the vehicle the better. A 6000lb truck is much better in the snow then a 4000lb car. hands down. I use 4 studded snow tires on my trucks.
I'm sure an enormous truck with 4 wheel drive and studded tires is really great in the snow, but to imply everyone who lives where it snows should own one is ridiculous. Some people also think they need to have a Suburban or pickup for their 2 trips to home depot a year, or maybe a $6000 riding lawnmower to mow 500 square feet of grass.

If you like your truck more power to you, but personally I am tired of seeing all these sub 10 mpg monsters cruising around with just a driver, no passengers, and an empty bed, but I don't go on truck forums telling them they should go buy reasonable vehicles for commuting.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #44
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
actually my 2000 5.3l ext cab 4x4 gets 18mpg. my 12 6.2l ext cab 4x4 got 15-20mpg. It was just like the camaro. Drive it like a granny and get great mileage. floor it a few times and it goes down. I didnt say everyone should get a 4x4 just there better because some one said they were not. The days of trucks getting crap milage is over with the LS motor. even my brothers 09 Tahoe gets 19mpg. I live in the country so I use my truck.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:09 AM   #45
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
actually my 2000 5.3l ext cab 4x4 gets 18mpg. my 12 6.2l ext cab 4x4 got 15-20mpg. It was just like the camaro. Drive it like a granny and get great mileage. floor it a few times and it goes down. I didnt say everyone should get a 4x4 just there better because some one said they were not. The days of trucks getting crap milage is over with the LS motor. even my brothers 09 Tahoe gets 19mpg. I live in the country so I use my truck.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you don't need or use your trucks. I just see way to many people around here driving huge vehicles they don't need and the last thing I want is to encourage more people to do the same.

I'm more sensitive to it right now because most of my friends are of the age where they are having their first child and our first is due any day now. Almost all of our friends rush out and get a 3 row SUV or minivan for one baby. Now they and our parents are shocked and dismayed that we aren't going to run out and buy a bus to haul around our baby. I think it's really strange our parents insist on this because when we were kids they managed with average cars just fine.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #46
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
My dilemma is what to do in a mild winter. I live in southeast Texas, so perhaps we have 1 day a year on average to worry about ice or snow. So park it on that day, no biggie. But with the Goodyears F1's that come on the 1LE, they say it's a no go if under 40 degrees. This past winter we had I'd estimate 30-40 nights that got to 40F and below. And perhaps 1/2 of them actually got below freezing.
I do have a 2nd car, so I guess I could park the 1LE most of the winter. But man that would suck if our pathetic Texas weather actually made me have to do that. I want to drive my new car, not let it sit in the garage.
I don't need true winter tires since we rarely see the frozen stuff. So an all season tire would do the trick. But again, having to get winter (all season) tires for a car driven in southeast Texas just sucks.
I considered getting Michilen Pilot Supersports too. They would be safer in the abundant rain we get. But even though they appear to not be as dedicated of summer tire as the Goodyear F1's, I get the impression they are still not safe for cold temperatures. But I have not been able to verify that. I'm not in the least worried about them just not being grippy in winter, I just do not want to damage them like the F1's can get in cold temps.
I would avoid driving the 1LE when I know it would be bad, but I don't want to get stuck anywhere if the temps drop more than expected, thus leave the car stranded in fear of cracking my tires.
Anybody have good winter input on the Michilens PSS's?
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #47
bongono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrfronty View Post
My dilemma is what to do in a mild winter. I live in southeast Texas,
They should be fine my buddy had them on his car and they never had amy issues even in our weather but to worm them up he spun the tires a bit before droving

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
bongono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #48
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
I think what we can get from all of this is the following:

1) Don't use the summer only tires. That's extremely dangerous for a few different reasons.

2) If you can afford it (I can't) get a second car that might be a little better suited for the snow in terms of traction and clearance.

3) If you can't afford it, get the winter or all-weather tires for the Camaro and drive carefully. Once late fall is here, the hot rodding needs to stop, for your safety and for everyone else's.

4) It doesn't matter WHAT you're driving, snow and ice are dangerous. Drive on them with respect and consideration that you share the road with others. As long as you do that, the worst that will probably happen is you'll get stuck or you'll get into a little bit of a tank slapper and THEN get stuck.

5) There are plenty of folks in snowy areas who are not dicks and jump out and help if you're stuck. Try to also be one of those people.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #49
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
CHevys simple built in solution called Stabilitrack people , ur all good

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #50
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Drive that bad boy !
Attached Images

LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #51
duck899

Drives: 2017 50th
Drive a winter beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongono93 View Post
So I just got my camaro and im in Indiana. I dont know if anyone knows anything about this place but in the winter it snows alot! Any types on what to do when thw snow is higher then my vary low set car?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I drive an Avalanche here in the frozen north during winter from October to May, lol

Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #52
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Pirelli Scorpions on all four corners and the car runs better in the snow than my Wife's Mazda 6..
The traction control and the Stabilitrak REALLY work..
Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #53
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's not about the snow, but the salt.

In my case, I intend to keep this car looking good for the rest of my life, and to leave it to my kids. That means no driving during salt season. But if you plan to replace it, then get the snow tires and drive it.

Like post #24, I had a RWD Cutlass. This was 1970, and it was terrifying. But that was long before Stabilitrac.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #54
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
Store it man. Screw snow tires and bothering trying to drive in the snow...no fun if you ask me.,
For some of us, that's not an option, lol. We need to get to work.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #55
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
^^^^agreed

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #56
MDcarnut

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
If you have a job that you need to get to, as in you are required to report to duty even in inclement weather, the Camaro is not the vehicle you should be relying on. Having said that, I have found no issue with driving it in snow on the factory tires. I assume that those that call it "useless" or "terrible" with the factory tires are simply not very good at driving in those conditions.
MDcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote