Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-10-2023, 09:22 AM   #449
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
I wrote fastbacks and should have included sedans. I was thinking a streamlined roof, real notchbacks are gone.

I have encountered a Telsa driver playing the expressway box in game, slurping on a fountain drink. After finally getting in front and slowing him way down, albeit with a clear left lane - he just would not go.

Psychographics? Please, delve into the wonkish geek stuff. We can handle it.
We have access to aggregated data that tells us basic demographics of vehicles bought and registered down to a zip code level. We can analyze the aggregated data to arrive at summary information on age, gender, ethnicity, household income, education level, other vehicles in the household et cetera. We also conduct surveys to get information from survey participants on what vehicles they discarded to get the new vehicle they acquired, what their second, third, fourth choices were when they made the purchase, what their reasons for purchase were, why they didn't purchase the second choice vehicle, and so on and so on. From drawing these analyses together, people with a whole lot more expertise in this area than me can put together a group of personas that can be used to define the “typical” buyer of a particular type of vehicle and how much they are willing to spend on it. That’s the elevator speech rendition.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:09 AM   #450
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I believe "they" want us to rent these cars and associated features with a recurring revenue model. It's not a one and done purchase anymore. The tech industry is doing this as well which is now tied in via a software defined vehicle concept.
https://www.motor1.com/news/651791/h...rogram-ioniq5/

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:36 AM   #451
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
I was just about to post this.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-10-2023, 05:19 PM   #452
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I encountered four of those Hyundai's on my way back from Alabama today. I'm not sure which model, but they had a 'Manufacturer' tag, which I've never seen before. No tail pipes and the front end screamed EV.

Unfortunately they were driving all in a row at a little under 70, in the passing lane of course. Jerkoffs. Took me a while to get a long enough stretch to get around them in the right lane, but eventually I did.

They didn't look 'bad' but I still wouldn't want one.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:31 PM   #453
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I encountered four of those Hyundai's on my way back from Alabama today. I'm not sure which model, but they had a 'Manufacturer' tag, which I've never seen before. No tail pipes and the front end screamed EV.

Unfortunately they were driving all in a row at a little under 70, in the passing lane of course. Jerkoffs. Took me a while to get a long enough stretch to get around them in the right lane, but eventually I did.

They didn't look 'bad' but I still wouldn't want one.
We’re used to Manufacturer tags here in Michigan. When I was at GM it wasn’t unusual for me to be driving a vehicle with M Plates. Especially if it was a competitor benchmarking vehicle. I occasionally get press vehicles with Mplates now.

Hyundai has an assembly plant in Montgomery. No doubt that’s where they were coming from.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:48 PM   #454
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
We’re used to Manufacturer tags here in Michigan. When I was at GM it wasn’t unusual for me to be driving a vehicle with M Plates. Especially if it was a competitor benchmarking vehicle. I occasionally get press vehicles with Mplates now.

Hyundai has an assembly plant in Montgomery. No doubt that’s where they were coming from.
Probably so since I was on the Montgomery to Atlanta I85 run. Probably delivering them to some suckers, excuse me, customers in Atlanta.

Had a little fun with a Panamera S on the way down there. First time I've ever had a Porsche get froggy with me.

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 02-10-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #455
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
I'm sure that's a topic with which you're intimately familiar.
Amazing. Im not the guy telling everyone EVs are shit when Ive not actually driven one
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:38 AM   #456
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I don't see the issue here.

Their subscription service isn't an addition to the purchase price if you buy the vehicle. What you linked is just a lease program. Instead of the typical 3 year lease contract agreements, they are offering people the ability to lease them on a month to month basis instead.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:06 PM   #457

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Their subscription service isn't an addition to the purchase price if you buy the vehicle. What you linked is just a lease program. Instead of the typical 3 year lease contract agreements, they are offering people the ability to lease them on a month to month basis instead.
Good point. Or it could also be just good old fashioned rent-a-car...lol.

Just to add, I recall there is somewhat a school of thought/plan by the mfrs that they want or would prefer to keep the ownership of EVs to themselves. They want to determine the total use/reuse/recycle of the batteries and save themselves the hassle of dealing with unhappy cusotmers...(just give us back the car and be quiet)...lol...

Not to mention the high price of ownership makes fuzzy math easier for the public to not understand...Ownership by individuals implies and requires responsibility and being materialistic, two rapidly declining ideas...lol

Most futuristic city planners and bureaucrats envision no provisions for automobiles in housing or commercial developments, so full time ownership is made intentionally uncomfortable...etc., etc...

Just rambling...sorry...not sorry...lol....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:09 PM   #458
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
Amazing. Im not the guy telling everyone EVs are shit when Ive not actually driven one
Nope you’re the aviation dude, working in one of the most polluting industries out there lecturing others about climate catastrophe while driving a Z.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #459
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Not to mention bragging about your ‘clean’ energy while people need warm banks to keep from freezing to death.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:58 PM   #460
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

I think the point of this program is to give people the opportunity to live with an EV for a while so that they can make a solid determination as to whether or not an EV fits their lifestyle. If not, turn the vehicle in and keep it moving. If so, buy what you’re driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Good point. Or it could also be just good old fashioned rent-a-car...lol.

Just to add, I recall there is somewhat a school of thought/plan by the mfrs that they want or would prefer to keep the ownership of EVs to themselves. They want to determine the total use/reuse/recycle of the batteries and save themselves the hassle of dealing with unhappy cusotmers...(just give us back the car and be quiet)...lol...
There have been a couple battery leasing schemes, mostly in China and other parts of Asia. Vinfast, a Vietnamese car company, does exclusively battery leasing / battery swapping in their home market. They are looking to also offer the battery leasing here in the US. Not sure how that’s gonna work out. Personally, I would not buy or lease a vehicle where I had to lease the battery.

Ford is also taking a position that if you lease a Ford electric vehicle, you cannot buy the vehicle at end of lease. You have to turn it in. There are a couple reasons I can think of that they might do this…
  1. They want the cars back so that they can recondition them, including possibly changing the battery, for sale through their CPO program. That can help keep the pricing up on the used vehicles. Of course they would have zero control over vehicles that are purchased as opposed to leased.
  2. They want to make certain they can capture the used batteries for use in their remanufacturing process.

Personally, I think it’s a little bit of each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not to mention the high price of ownership makes fuzzy math easier for the public to not understand...Ownership by individuals implies and requires responsibility and being materialistic, two rapidly declining ideas...lol

Most futuristic city planners and bureaucrats envision no provisions for automobiles in housing or commercial developments, so full time ownership is made intentionally uncomfortable...etc., etc...

Just rambling...sorry...not sorry...lol....
So far every comparison of cost of ownership comparison leans heavily in favor of EVs when comparing vehicles of the same type and class. Thing is, most consumers do not know how to do the math based on kWh used.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:18 PM   #461
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I think the point of this program is to give people the opportunity to live with an EV for a while so that they can make a solid determination as to whether or not an EV fits their lifestyle. If not, turn the vehicle in and keep it moving. If so, buy what you’re driving.

There have been a couple battery leasing schemes, mostly in China and other parts of Asia. Vinfast, a Vietnamese car company, does exclusively battery leasing / battery swapping in their home market. They are looking to also offer the battery leasing here in the US. Not sure how that’s gonna work out. Personally, I would not buy or lease a vehicle where I had to lease the battery.

Ford is also taking a position that if you lease a Ford electric vehicle, you cannot buy the vehicle at end of lease. You have to turn it in. There are a couple reasons I can think of that they might do this…
  1. They want the cars back so that they can recondition them, including possibly changing the battery, for sale through their CPO program. That can help keep the pricing up on the used vehicles. Of course they would have zero control over vehicles that are purchased as opposed to leased.
  2. They want to make certain they can capture the used batteries for use in their remanufacturing process.

Personally, I think it’s a little bit of each.

So far every comparison of cost of ownership comparison leans heavily in favor of EVs when comparing vehicles of the same type and class. Thing is, most consumers do not know how to do the math based on kWh used.
How much do those studies value the opportunity cost of time lost to searching for a charging station and then the time lost to charging?
Old 02-11-2023, 09:56 PM   #462
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
How much do those studies value the opportunity cost of time lost to searching for a charging station and then the time lost to charging?
That was one of my problems with the Anderson Group study you posted earlier. They tried to attach an hourly wage to the time spent driving to a charger and the time spent actually charging. What they did not do was subtract the time that EVs don’t spend at the gas station because they do about 90% of their charging while the owner is not using the car. The owner is either sleeping or at work, so those 5-10 minute sessions at the local gas station are eliminated. If the amount of time spent at charging stations away from home / work are added into cost, the only fair approach is to either subtract about 10 minutes once or twice a week or add that into the “cost” of driving an ICE car. I doubt you consider the time you spend at the pump into your cost of operating your car.

So, anecdotally, over the past year our Chevrolet Volt (RIP) spent zero time waiting for charge at charging stations outside of home and spent about 10-15 minutes at gas stations last year (only had to add gas twice). It only charged at home and on two occasions I took it to visit clients whom I knew had charge stations on their property.

As for finding charge stations, every EV worth its salt can automatically locate charging stations on GPS and will suggest which stations you should stop at on any trip that you route with GPS. Some will allow you to reserve a time slot based on when your trip plan has you near a station you should stop at, so there’s no waiting in line when you get there.
Attached Images