Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #29
shan1997

Drives: 2013 Red Hot Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
A quick question, When your windshield was replaced, did they also install new mouldings? I know for some vehicles this is a must, but I wondered if it is necessary for the Camaro.

thanks
Twoplustwo
Chip in windshield was repaired but still visible. It has yet to be replaced
shan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1997 View Post
Do you think buying one of those repair kits could make it look any better despite safelite already attempting to repair??
Hard to say, you have to get the resin all the way into the crack/chip, which is why pressure and letting the air bubbles release is key. If you can still see it, they did not get it filled all the way.

On the larger crack we did. I had my son on the inside pushing gently in and out on the crack area while I kept filling it. We even used a hair blow dryer to try and get all the bubbles out and let the resin in, turned out ok......we figured what do we have to loose, if we break it we have to get a new windshield anyway.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #31
shan1997

Drives: 2013 Red Hot Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Hard to say, you have to get the resin all the way into the crack/chip, which is why pressure and letting the air bubbles release is key. If you can still see it, they did not get it filled all the way.

On the larger crack we did. I had my son on the inside pushing gently in and out on the crack area while I kept filling it. We even used a hair blow dryer to try and get all the bubbles out and let the resin in, turned out ok......we figured what do we have to loose, if we break it we have to get a new windshield anyway.
Can't hurt to try hopefully. Gonna order from Amazon. It's still quite visable which bothers me.
shan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #32
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
I heard non HUD and a square of 3m for the HUD is a cheap Alternative
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #33
murf24

Drives: 2012 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1997 View Post
I went to safelite this morning and they tried to repair. They stopped the crack from spreading any further I assume by putting resin in the crack but it's still
Noticeable. I did send a message to see what it would be to replace it through safelite. My insurance said I have to pay $500 deductible for repair or replacement and dealership is 690 to replace without labor. Found another local guy who said he could do it for $450 parts and labor.
Do you think buying one of those repair kits could make it look any better despite safelite already attempting to repair??
I don't have any experience with a repair kit. I can neither paint nor spackle and therefore I have no reason to believe that I can repair glass. If you decide to fix it yourself, you have to accept the fact that it may not turn out the way you want and replacement may be the only acceptable option. People who do this for a living have already attempted to fix it so it seems to me it comes down to your personal decision to live with it or replace it.
murf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #34
AzShadow
Ed S.

Drives: 2015 1LS V6 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
My family goes through 3 or 4 windshields a year. All of our cars have 0 deductible glass coverage. Small stuff they fix at car washes in Arizona.
I had my '15 1LS for less than 3 months when my windshield took its first hit--and since it was up in the top corner of the passenger side I didn't worry about it. I knew I was going to get hit again--and then I'd replace the glass (zero cost in AZ with Geico). FYI: Less than 2 months later, I replaced the glass. The actual invoice for that was $606.50 total.

AzShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #35
Foxfire15

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS BVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShadow View Post
I had my '15 1LS for less than 3 months when my windshield took its first hit--and since it was up in the top corner of the passenger side I didn't worry about it. I knew I was going to get hit again--and then I'd replace the glass (zero cost in AZ with Geico). FYI: Less than 2 months later, I replaced the glass. The actual invoice for that was $606.50 total.
Yeah, really can't go without full glass coverage out here. I already have a chunk missing out of mine but it's not cracked, Just a small divot. Last Camaro went through 2 windshields. I'm not sure what it costs you Shan, but if you can swing it going forward, I highly recommend adding 0 deductible glass coverage if you can.
Foxfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #36
kaly

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS. 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Just had mine done last week at Safelite. OEM HUD glass was $894 ($719 for glass), but insurance covered it under comprehensive (I have a 0 deductible). I took a pic of the info in the corner of the windshield before/after and it's identical.
Because of what I learned on here, I made sure that my policy had OEM-replacement included when I bought the car. Was really glad I did!
kaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #37
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I had mine replaced by Safelite about a year ago. I got an OEM windshield, so it says GM. Are there any differences between the "GM" and the "others" besides the name on it? Prolly not. But I wanted mine to at least appear factory. They did a really good job, no new noises, paint blemishes, interior dust/dirt, or flushness issues. Looks like it was never replaced. Thank you Alaska and the vehicle shipment to Florida. But its only a windshield, could always be worse.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #38
DMR2

Drives: 2015 Commemorative Edition 2SS/RS
I had my windshield replaced back in November... only had the car for 2 months (Brand new 2015 2SS with the HUD) when my windshield took its first hit with a rock passing a semi on the interstate. The rock hit right in the lower center of the windshield and left a dime sized star looking crack.

When I got home, was going to get it repaired as soon as I could but before I could even take it to a repair shop, the windshield split clean across from one end to the other.

I was upset... hadn't even had my first oil change and was already changing the windshield.

Here in Maryland they don't do windshield replacements for free - at least not with USAA. I had to pay the deductible of $500. Cost a little over $650 to replace. I also had Safelite change it out. They did an awesome job.

THEN... just this past weekend the NEW windshield took another hit in the same exact dang spot as the last one while on the interstate passing another car.

I swear I think these cars must have a pocket of air that sucks rocks into that area. LoL.

Anyway - I took it immediately to Safelite after I got home before it also split the windshield in half, and they repaired it for $70 with that resin stuff. They also hit it with an ultraviolet light and all. The only thing that was left behind was a divit of the point of impact... looks like a bug hit the windshield basically.

So, I'm hoping this repair holds up - if I gotta keep replacing windshields before each oil change, I'm gonna loose my mind! LoL.
DMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #39
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR2 View Post
I had my windshield replaced back in November... only had the car for 2 months (Brand new 2015 2SS with the HUD) when my windshield took its first hit with a rock passing a semi on the interstate. The rock hit right in the lower center of the windshield and left a dime sized star looking crack.

When I got home, was going to get it repaired as soon as I could but before I could even take it to a repair shop, the windshield split clean across from one end to the other.

I was upset... hadn't even had my first oil change and was already changing the windshield.

Here in Maryland they don't do windshield replacements for free - at least not with USAA. I had to pay the deductible of $500. Cost a little over $650 to replace. I also had Safelite change it out. They did an awesome job.

THEN... just this past weekend the NEW windshield took another hit in the same exact dang spot as the last one while on the interstate passing another car.

I swear I think these cars must have a pocket of air that sucks rocks into that area. LoL.

Anyway - I took it immediately to Safelite after I got home before it also split the windshield in half, and they repaired it for $70 with that resin stuff. They also hit it with an ultraviolet light and all. The only thing that was left behind was a divit of the point of impact... looks like a bug hit the windshield basically.

So, I'm hoping this repair holds up - if I gotta keep replacing windshields before each oil change, I'm gonna loose my mind! LoL.
Stories like this and my past experiences are why I repair my own a few times before replacing the windshield. Nothing like replacing a windshield and a couple days later taking another hit!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #40
murf24

Drives: 2012 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
A quick question, When your windshield was replaced, did they also install new mouldings? I know for some vehicles this is a must, but I wondered if it is necessary for the Camaro.

thanks
Twoplustwo
They did install new moulding.
murf24 is offline   Reply With Quote