Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
the tranny takes close to 4 qts.
uh what? for a manual? I only used barely 2qts.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #30
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Did you fill it till it was up to the fill hole? Did you make sure it was fully drained?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #31
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
actually i just noticed something...the machine at my cousins shop that pumps fluid in can also suck out fluid and we think the valve for the suction side was partly open...so it was sucking out some fluid as we were pumping it in...so it might only take 2 qts...

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #32
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
I just changed mine out for the Royal Purple and tho I didn't measure it, we have it in 5 gallon pump buckets at work it looked like a lot more than 2 quarts in the drain pan.
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #33
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Bump....
Doing this this weekend...
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #34
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I think I slightly overfilled mine by half a quart. However, in doing so, I noticed the notchiness(?) that I once had is completely gone. It shifts a lot smoother. Is it okay to leave it like that or should I drain a little bit out?

Sometimes when I'm at a stop light, I can smell a slight gear oil smell through the vents though. However, I had that before I did the trans oil change so maybe that's not it.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #35
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
I think I slightly overfilled mine by half a quart. However, in doing so, I noticed the notchiness(?) that I once had is completely gone. It shifts a lot smoother. Is it okay to leave it like that or should I drain a little bit out?

Sometimes when I'm at a stop light, I can smell a slight gear oil smell through the vents though. However, I had that before I did the trans oil change so maybe that's not it.
You shouldn't be able to overfill it, you pretty much add fluid until it comes out the fill hole. Overfilling, would be pouring out the fill plug before you can even close it back up

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #36
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
You shouldn't be able to overfill it, you pretty much add fluid until it comes out the fill hole. Overfilling, would be pouring out the fill plug before you can even close it back up
Okay, thanks. When I filled it up, I used the tube method from inside the engine compartment. When the gear oil started backing up into the tube, I quickly pulled the tube out and screwed the bolt plug back in. The tube that I used fit snugly into the hole. Meaning, no oil was able to escape when I was filling it except when I quickly pulled it out to put the bolt plug back in.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #37
cbaer981

Drives: 2013 LS
I am running royal purple in mine as well, switched over and you can tell a night and day difference. I also switched over to a hurst short throw shifter with the upgraded bushings. really made a huge difference in driving the car!
cbaer981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #38
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Collins View Post
I'll be buying 3 quarts of Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 when I get around to changing my differential and transmission fluid.
+1
Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #39
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-AMSOIL View Post
Our GL 5 oils are not only for trucks.. i have been using them and selling them for years to the automotive industry with great success
I agree. The 75-90 Redline oils worked great in all 6 of my Nissan/Datsun transmissions. I also used redline in my NP435. Great stuff.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #40
Thechef1981

Drives: 2018 camaro ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
I just changed mine to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 yesterday.
Shifting SO smooth today!
Changed put the reaf diff with the same stuff..
$15 per quart, great stuff!
Do not put gear oil in your transmission!! The gear oil is not designed for your tremec transmission!! You are going to eat away at the soft metals in your transmission if you don’t remove that. Ive done an excessive amount of research and if you refuse to use the oem fluids, in the diff and tranny, you can use the royal purple max gear 75-90 for the diff, and synchromax manual transmission fluid which is compatible with Dexron lll api rating and both products won’t damage the soft metals that comprise the synchros in the tranny!! Get rid of that amsoil stuff, I read it contains phosphorous and zinc which will react with the metals in your tranny. Use royal purple, it’s the safest to use next to the oem fluids! And it has the best shearing properties of any oil on the market. Which means more protection for moving parts!
Thechef1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #41
Thechef1981

Drives: 2018 camaro ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
Okay, thanks. When I filled it up, I used the tube method from inside the engine compartment. When the gear oil started backing up into the tube, I quickly pulled the tube out and screwed the bolt plug back in. The tube that I used fit snugly into the hole. Meaning, no oil was able to escape when I was filling it except when I quickly pulled it out to put the bolt plug back in.
The tranny takes 3.45qts manual transmission fluid/
The diff takes 1.2qts
Thechef1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #42
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
I have used Redline in my old Camaro, same year and driveline. Amsoil in my current car. Amsoil in the diff, I have used royal purple as well (in my old Camaro 6 speed.)All good stuff, especially is running on the track.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote