Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-10-2024, 08:12 AM   #29
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Let me add a little info here:

- In 2028, to meet government CAFE requirements, 33% of an automaker's sales must be EV.
-In 2032, 67% of sales need to be EV.

This is a binary calculation (ICE and EV) not including hybrids. But hybrids don't count as much as an EV, so just plug in a couple hybrids for an EV and it gets pretty close.

So if you think about this in terms of the market, the OEMs are all going to get rid of everything gas powered that does not rake in truck-like profits. They need to sell everything EV to keep the truck gravy train going - and they still need to sell some EV truck too. So there is no room for a gas powered Taurus or Malibu, when it doesn't support selling what is most profitable - full size truck and SUV.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:43 AM   #30
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
Let me add a little info here:

- In 2028, to meet government CAFE requirements, 33% of an automaker's sales must be EV.
-In 2032, 67% of sales need to be EV.

This is a binary calculation (ICE and EV) not including hybrids. But hybrids don't count as much as an EV, so just plug in a couple hybrids for an EV and it gets pretty close.

So if you think about this in terms of the market, the OEMs are all going to get rid of everything gas powered that does not rake in truck-like profits. They need to sell everything EV to keep the truck gravy train going - and they still need to sell some EV truck too. So there is no room for a gas powered Taurus or Malibu, when it doesn't support selling what is most profitable - full size truck and SUV.

-Geoff
And if things go the way we need them to go in November, those EV regulations will be rolled back significantly or eliminated completely.

Then what?
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:16 AM   #31
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Malibu sales were up 13% last year.

Where did you get those numbers from?

2023: 97,061

2022: 115,468

It's been on a steady decline since around 2016 https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/chevrolet/malibu
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:23 AM   #32
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
No surprise there. It's more expensive than a Trax and about the same as a Trailblazer and I'd rather have either of those over a Malibu.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:32 AM   #33
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
No surprise there. It's more expensive than a Trax and about the same as a Trailblazer and I'd rather have either of those over a Malibu.

Same here. The only reason I'd buy a sedan is if it's a performance model. CUV's/SUV's do everything else better.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:54 AM   #34
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
And if things go the way we need them to go in November, those EV regulations will be rolled back significantly or eliminated completely.

Then what?
It's already too late. The 2028 lineup is pretty much set right now. There is just too much lead time to sit around and wait to see who wins the white house.

The real problem, is what happens when people don't want the EVs? That is a very real possibility. It ends with teh big 3 out of business in 2032 and China dumping EVs on us.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:15 AM   #35
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Just a few fun facts:
  • The Midsized Sedan segment as a whole is declining fast. 10 - 15% drops in sales year-to-year. That’s all brands all models. So far for 2024 the segment is showing total sales of 408k units Jan - April. Last year was 445k for same period.
  • Compare that to Small Utilities (1.2M last year; 1.34M this year) or Midsized Utilities (991k last year;1.02M this year)
  • In the segment, there’s Camry, then everybody else. Camry is double the sales of any other sedan. Camry has delivered over 100k units January to April (all hybrids I might add). That’s up 9%. Number 2 Accord has delivered 54k. Down 13%. #4 Malibu has delivered 46k. Down 11% in a segment that’s down 10%.
Sure, we can all find someone who says “I’d much rather have a sedan” or “I’d much rather have a Malibu”, but the fact of the matter is, when it comes to what customers actually buy, it’s Small Utility, Mid-Sized Utility, and Pickup Truck. Those are the segments that are growing.

Basically, GM has decided not to continue to run the race to the bottom in the sedan market. Even so, GM is extending the Alpha sedans (CT4 and CT5) longer than originally planned. That’s good news. The bad news is we shouldn’t expect to see any significant improvements. The recently updated CT5 is probably as good as it will get. Kind of interesting because the Premium Midsized car (CT5, BMW 5-Series, M-B E-Class) is declining faster than mainstream Midsized Sedan. The Premium Small Sedan (CT4, 3-Series, C-Class) is falling even harder. When you add up the numbers, customers simply aren’t buying sedans at anywhere near the numbers they used to and it ain’t getting better.

As Number 3 has pointed out, when you get to the point where staying in the game requires hundreds of millions / a billion in investment just to keep up, you cut bait rather than invest more in a fast declining market segment and invest that money in places where there is more growth.

Add to that the fact that profit margin per vehicle for utilities (and pickups) tends to be higher than profit margin per vehicle for similarly sized or priced sedans and the decisions to make more utilities than sedans just is what it is.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 05-10-2024 at 02:18 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:50 AM   #36
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
If I already owned the tooling... just keep in making until no longer profitable. Silly to abandon platform where all tooling is paid for and still selling 400K units a year.

I'm sure they did upside of increased profit for "potential" sales from a more flexible factory as well... and we know what won.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:10 AM   #37
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Add to that the fact that profit margin per vehicle for utilities (and pickups) tends to be higher than profit margin per vehicle for similarly sized or priced utilities and the decisions to make more utilities than sedans just is what it is.
What can you share about the ICE Equinox?

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but I just had one as a rental, a 2023 with the 1.5 and 6-speed auto. I was amazed it took me that long to actually drive and experience an Equinox.

I like it. It's a good size, it drives like car, interior layout is good. No, it's not an "enthusiast" car, but it does "car things" very well, with added utility. The 1.5 was adequate (with turbo).

I didn't enjoy the automatic. Gears are shockingly far apart for such a relatively small engine. I'm spoiled by an 850RE (8HP50) behind a 2.0 in my daily driver, and ZF's design is superb. Manual gear selection is lightning quick, no lag. The Equinox's 6-speed reminded me of a 4T65 with two gears squeezed in. And that's not a compliment! lol.

Anyway, bottom line, the Equinox feels like a modern suitor to the Malibu's stewardship of size and power. I never thought I'd consider an Equinox, but I actually like them now.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:10 AM   #38
NovaSS4spdFan

Drives: 2024 2SS vert w/M6 & Dual Mode. Red
Factoids :
-The sales numbers for the Malibu are actually quite good. In the segment, doing very respectable with over 30K units this quarter.

- I've never seen a photo of one fully enfulfed in flames (along with the garage and driveway attached to the house). Remember the pic of the Bolt from just a few years back ?

- GM is running over seniors ( MANY who are VETERANS) who have been brand loyal to Chevy all of their lives. It's like :"you're dying, so we don't need ya anymore" Thanks a lot.
NovaSS4spdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:31 AM   #39
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSS4spdFan View Post
Factoids :
-The sales numbers for the Malibu are actually quite good. In the segment, doing very respectable with over 30K units this quarter.

- I've never seen a photo of one fully enfulfed in flames (along with the garage and driveway attached to the house). Remember the pic of the Bolt from just a few years back ?

- GM is running over seniors ( MANY who are VETERANS) who have been brand loyal to Chevy all of their lives. It's like :"you're dying, so we don't need ya anymore" Thanks a lot.
Most of our Malibu buyers aren't seniors. Most of our senior customers are buying Equinox, Traverse or Tahoe.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:48 AM   #40
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
It's already too late. The 2028 lineup is pretty much set right now. There is just too much lead time to sit around and wait to see who wins the white house.

The real problem, is what happens when people don't want the EVs? That is a very real possibility. It ends with teh big 3 out of business in 2032 and China dumping EVs on us.

-Geoff
IMO the top of EV demand is in the rear view. People have range anxiety, are broke, and choosing Hybrids. Ford is already in full ABS dump with their EV program and scaling back significantly( go see what you can get a Lightning for these days) GM will take longer as usual to pivot. You can't force someone to like Vanilla ice cream when they buy chocolate cuz they prefer it.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:50 AM   #41
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
If I already owned the tooling... just keep in making until no longer profitable. Silly to abandon platform where all tooling is paid for and still selling 400K units a year.

I'm sure they did upside of increased profit for "potential" sales from a more flexible factory as well... and we know what won.
Wait, what? GM only sold ~130k Malibus last year, down almost 10% from the year before...

And of those ~130k, there were months in 2023 when 75% were being sold to fleets...

If most were going to rental and government agencies, I see no reason why they couldn't substitute the Equinox.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:19 PM   #42
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I see no reason why they couldn't substitute the Equinox.
Because the Malibu rides and performs better and is built better. The Equinox is a bucket of Fisher Price plastic
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote