Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #29
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
I just can't see this car being fun going down the rd. it has to be over 3000rpm to hit the torque of what the lt1 has at 1000 rpms. I know there will be many who buy just to have one and never track it. Boy are they going to have fun it traffic.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #30
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
I bet if you lay out the given rpm range that beach car will spend its time in while on the track the ls7 will lose big time on HP and only slightly better in torque. Its all about taking advantage with good gearing.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #31
QTHEGREAT
Account Suspended

Drives: Mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedX2 View Post
still don't know why GM cant build a specific hipo na engine (ala gt350) and put in a camaro for 50K...ford seems to have no problem with this...
Well Ford is offering it on a new generation car . So GM didn't have a need to do this before. But I'm sure GM will be coming with something similar for the new generation. just like Ford is just now offering Magna ride on the Mustang that the 2012 ZL1 has. It's just how it works in the rivalry.
QTHEGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #32
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTHEGREAT View Post
Well Ford is offering it on a new generation car . So GM didn't have a need to do this before. But I'm sure GM will be coming with something similar for the new generation. just like Ford is just now offering Magna ride on the Mustang that the 2012 ZL1 has. It's just how it works in the rivalry.
Remember..Ford upped the ante with a specific GT500 engine that was uprated in response to the ZL1, AND had a specific Boss 302 engine..thats 2 engines specific to mustang..how many specific camaro engines were there??? Zero, Nada--Ls3--corvette...LSA...Cadillac...LS7..Corvette...so they have been and CONTINUE to develop specific mustang focused engine,,,no???
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #33
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
C&D said according to Ford it is lighter than the Coyote...which is lighter than the LS7 or close to it from what I could find.
Only way a Coyote is lighter than a LS7 is if you count the oiling system. The LS7 without the dry sump oiling is less weight than a LS3 and a LS3 is around 15lbs less than a Coyote. Voodoo may very well be lighter than a LS7 without its oiling system but not unless they took 15lbs or so out of it. In the car with all the accessories yes its lighter but long block vs long block IDK. Would need to see weight figures from Ford. Also, a DOHC engine has a lot of weight up high vs a pushrod single cam engine like the GM LS series. You don't want weight up high likes that for handling purposes. That's why Ford tried to lighten up the top of the Voodoo engine. Its also one of the reasons the LT4 has such a small blower and they stuffed it deep into the top of the engine.

From the dyno sheet I saw I don't think the car will make a very fun street car that spends much of its time below 5500RPM. The R version may very well beat the bricks off the soon to be out of production Z28 but I think comparing the Voodoo to the LS7 is a bit silly or just goes to show how great it was considering it will be over a decade old.

I also think power per displacement is one of the most useless stats that means very little. Overall size of a engine, weight, power, torque, power under the curve, power potential with mods and even fuel mileage have way more merit than power per liter. I would much rather have a 8.0 liter engine over a 4.0 engine even if they were only seperated by 5HP/TQ at peak and throughout the rev range while also being physically smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 AM   #34
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Agree that Ford will gear it right but you'd need to adjust to being at 5,500 rpm instead of the 4,000 you're at now. It will require energy management to keep the momentum going in the turns
I don't think getting used to being at a higher RPM will be much of an issue. However one thing I really do not like about the Voodoo is how spikey the power is. The LSx (and LTx for that matter) family of engines is very linear, something I want when I'm on the track.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #35
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Only way a Coyote is lighter than a LS7 is if you count the oiling system. The LS7 without the dry sump oiling is less weight than a LS3 and a LS3 is around 15lbs less than a Coyote. Voodoo may very well be lighter than a LS7 without its oiling system but not unless they took 15lbs or so out of it. In the car with all the accessories yes its lighter but long block vs long block IDK. Would need to see weight figures from Ford.
I saw 458lbs with accessories listed for the LS7 and 444lbs with accessories listed for the Coyote. Both were not manufacturer specs, so not sure what the official numbers are. The Ford rep said it would have a definite weight advantage over the Coyote, so who knows how much actually...could be only 10-20lbs like LS7 to Coyote.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #36
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I don't think getting used to being at a higher RPM will be much of an issue. However one thing I really do not like about the Voodoo is how spikey the power is. The LSx (and LTx for that matter) family of engines is very linear, something I want when I'm on the track.
Maybe I'm over simplifying this but with gears and high RPM nature of the 5.2 it seems it will always be at a higher RPM. If the average RPM is 4000 compared to 3000 of an LS7 or LT-1 (just to make up numbers) it would wear 25% faster, would it not? As far as the engine and transmission go, they will see a lot more wear being at such high rpm's.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #37
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Maybe I'm over simplifying this but with gears and high RPM nature of the 5.2 it seems it will always be at a higher RPM. If the average RPM is 4000 compared to 3000 of an LS7 or LT-1 (just to make up numbers) it would wear 25% faster, would it not? As far as the engine and transmission go, they will see a lot more wear being at such high rpm's.
Seeing as Voodoo comes with the standard Ford 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty, it should by all means be as durable as any other currently offered Ford engine. The GT350 specific TR-3160 is likewise covered.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Seeing as Voodoo comes with the standard Ford 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty, it should by all means be as durable as any other currently offered Ford engine. The GT350 specific TR-3160 is likewise covered.
This is a giant assumption. Just saying.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #39
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
This is a giant assumption. Just saying.
Why do you think thats a giant assumption? its the standard industry warranty
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #40
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
As a true track car, does Ford warranty the GT350 similar to Chevy's track cars?
Quote:
Al Oppenheiser: We felt that if we’re going to stand behind this (ZL1) as being a true track capable race car, its gotta perform. So much so that we wanted it to be a race car, that we’re actually warranting the car for track day. You take this car out after a proper burnish, proper break in period and you have a warranty claim, we're covering it.
Motoman: So if I go on a track day and blow the motor, you’re gonna replace it?
Al Oppenheiser: Yep.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZh_MhccwCU

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #41
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
As a true track car, does Ford warranty the GT350 similar to Chevy's track cars?http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZh_MhccwCU
Honestly, I'm not entirely certain. Isn't the track "warranty" offered by GM in relation to ZL1 and Z/28 only for test&tune type use, and actual race/competition use is still not covered?

If it indeed all inclusive I'd love to see a scan of the clause about racing in a comparative setting. That way it can be forwarded to Ford's PR, so they know how to write it into their offered coverages.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #42
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Honestly, I'm not entirely certain. Isn't the track "warranty" offered by GM in relation to ZL1 and Z/28 only for test&tune type use, and actual race/competition use is still not covered?

If it indeed all inclusive I'd love to see a scan of the clause about racing in a comparative setting. That way it can be forwarded to Ford's PR, so they know how to write it into their offered coverages.
You're absolutely right. It's test & tune, HPDE type coverage. Anything boarding a competitive event wouldn't be covered with the Chevys. I'd think the 1LE fits in there too but am not sure.

I hope Ford does offer similar coverage. The GT350 looks to be one hell of a machine but needs to stretch its legs on the track to even begin tapping into its potential.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote