Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #29
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
You CAN buy it here in PA. It always gives me a chuckle when people on here say they can only buy 91 Octane in their state. Their state's government also must tell them what kind of underwear to buy and what time to eat dinner too!
I think CA does this

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
RADREVX

Drives: 2012 SS
great info so far. im leaning towards 91 pure gas makes more power than 91 e10. it idles better, thats for sure.
RADREVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Only if you have an engine tuned specifically to run on 93. An engine optimized to run on 91 will have absolutely no benefit from going from 91 to 93. It might actually be a slight detriment.

Not quite, though that is one of the effects. Ultimately, ethanol was added to gas because refiners were bribed with taxpayer money to force it on their customers even though a large portion of them don't want it. You are right, though...if it wasn't subsidized or mandated, it wouldn't exist.

Today, it is not subsidized anymore, it is simply mandated by law, because apparently, not enough refiners were taking the bribe for those who are pushing it. So basically, we are required by law to use the stuff "for our own good" despite the fact that it isn't just driving up the cost of food and shortening the life of cars, but it is actually adding to the cost of energy itself, as ethanol is more expensive than gasoline.

A very good summary of this situation. FYI - the situation may get worse, they (EPA) are trying to up the percent ethanol to 15%. SEMA is leading the fight against this, supporting SEMA is probably the best way to fight this.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Too bad we can't get ethanol free around here.
Only time my car had ethanol free gas was from delivery.
Canada gas was reading 22 MPG in parking lot driving.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
There are a few places here where you can get ethanol-free 93.

And given how bad corn production is this year thanks to the drought, and how bad things will be next year in terms of shortages, I don't think the 15%-up by the EPA will happen soon. But I'm afraid it will happen. :( If they would stop putting ethanol in gas we wouldn't have this shortage issue that's coming..

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #34
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
You CAN buy it here in PA. It always gives me a chuckle when people on here say they can only buy 91 Octane in their state. Their state's government also must tell them what kind of underwear to buy and what time to eat dinner too!
Interesting. No such thing here in the Corn State.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
RADREVX

Drives: 2012 SS
pure gas stations are coming back around. pure-gas.org lists alot of them by state. check it out, you might be suprised. most boat marinas sell it.

Last edited by RADREVX; 08-21-2012 at 10:50 AM.
RADREVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
TheNewCzar

Drives: 2011 SS Rally Yellow Vert, 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
There are a few places here where you can get ethanol-free 93.

And given how bad corn production is this year thanks to the drought, and how bad things will be next year in terms of shortages, I don't think the 15%-up by the EPA will happen soon. But I'm afraid it will happen. :( If they would stop putting ethanol in gas we wouldn't have this shortage issue that's coming..
I can get E-Free 93 4 miles from my house.
TheNewCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADREVX View Post
pure gas stations are coming back around. pure-gas.org lists alot of them by state. check it out, you might be suprised. most boat marinas sell it.
I have seen the accuracy of pure-gas.org tested in some of the other car forums and it is very poor.

If boat marinas are pumping it into street driven cars, they are breaking the law since no road use taxes are paid/extracted on marina gas. We use to be able to get leaded gas for our old hot rods from marinas or avaiation pumps when unleaded was being phased in. I would think very few marina owners would be willing to risk the fines involved for doing this now.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #38
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewCzar View Post
I can get E-Free 93 4 miles from my house.
Gotta love Arkansas

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #39
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
I have seen the accuracy of pure-gas.org tested in some of the other car forums and it is very poor.

If boat marinas are pumping it into street driven cars, they are breaking the law since no road use taxes are paid/extracted on marina gas. We use to be able to get leaded gas for our old hot rods from marinas or avaiation pumps when unleaded was being phased in. I would think very few marina owners would be willing to risk the fines involved for doing this now.
oops!

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2...00M-fraud-case
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #40
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Idk, war on ethanol has to vary cause here in LA. we have she'll 93 w/10% ethanol and thats the best gas you're going to get. I noticed ConocoPhillips offers ethanol free, but I can tell you it's probably not near as good as shell.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #41
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Idk, war on ethanol has to vary cause here in LA. we have she'll 93 w/10% ethanol and thats the best gas you're going to get. I noticed ConocoPhillips offers ethanol free, but I can tell you it's probably not near as good as shell.
What are you basing that on?

Gas is gas. Phillips and Shell are supposedly both "Top Tier" standard gas, too. Odds are, the Shell and Phillips stations in your town are getting their gas from the same source....only difference being one is being mixed with ethanol after the oil is refined, and the other is not.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #42
Jstephen

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS LT2 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Did you watch the ALMS race over the weekend?
Very competitive!
Amazing race. I toughs the coverage was terrible. It's hard to get a 4 hour endurance race into and 1.25 hour slot.

Hard to believe that send place came back from 4 laps down