Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #29
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I dyno my L99 car for baseline. I was hoping it made the usual power these cars do and it did. However I wanted to see what I ended up at after my mods. My goal is to add 300 rwhp after I'm done. I'll be going to the same tuner and dyno so for me it's what I gained afterwards. My cam and turbo install is almost done. So I'll be dyno tuning it hopefully in September.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i think what it really comes down to is what are trying to accomplish?
imo everyone seem's to be preoccupied with numbers(not just here). maybe because of the megga HP numbers that new cars have.
i guess i'm kinda old school in my day a 11 or 12 second car was not very streetable and 10's on the street no way.so if it runs 12's and is daily driven i consider that quite respectable.maybe that is for another discussion.
What ever the 1/4 times only you know it. No one else on the street does and how often does anyone street race any more? The 1/4 time is a personal satisfaction and one second in anyone's day is not significant in any way. At the strip then all of this logic is moot. So I agree with you that even a 14 second car is quick. Both of my cars run low 13 numbers with the GN feeling to be the faster accelerator to me mostly because the 4.5 0 to 60 feels fast yet the 2013 SS 1LE clocked the same times over the same distance.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #31
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i think what it really comes down to is what are trying to accomplish?
imo everyone seem's to be preoccupied with numbers(not just here). maybe because of the megga HP numbers that new cars have.
i guess i'm kinda old school in my day a 11 or 12 second car was not very streetable and 10's on the street no way.so if it runs 12's and is daily driven i consider that quite respectable.maybe that is for another discussion.
I think your first sentence/question covers everything else. Numbers are just another aspect of the hobby and if that's what's important to the driver, then perhaps that's what they are trying to accomplish (best numbers).
I'm pretty much old school too in that respect though. If the car feels good to me, has the acceleration I like then I'm ok. My days of finding a stretch of lonely country road and doing 1/4 mile drags against my buddies are long gone.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #32
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I agree with others that bolt ons won't do a whole lot. Time for a camshaft and some valve train upgrades. Go aggressive.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #33
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
My stock 2011 L99 with just a CAI, axle back, HFC's dyno'd 331 on a Mustang dyno. Then we installed the LT's, off road mids and re-tuned it and got 365rwhp and 357rwtq. So I would agree, you are where you need to be. Then we did the cam swap, LS3 conversion and a 3200 stall and an LOD X-1 intake and now we are at 485rwtq and 476rwhp on a dynojet.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #34
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
My stock 2011 L99 with just a CAI, axle back, HFC's dyno'd 331 on a Mustang dyno. Then we installed the LT's, off road mids and re-tuned it and got 365rwhp and 357rwtq. So I would agree, you are where you need to be. Then we did the cam swap, LS3 conversion and a 3200 stall and an LOD X-1 intake and now we are at 485rwtq and 476rwhp on a dynojet.
Those are some nice numbers for a NA build. I hope to get around the same when I do cam and heads.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #35
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Those are some nice numbers for a NA build. I hope to get around the same when I do cam and heads.
Thanks Big, yea I'm impressed with quick she is off the line, and how hard she pulls all the way out to 7200rpms shift point! I have a couple Camaro friends and 1 Challenger friend, and they all love to ride in my Camaro. One of those Camaro friends has a 2013 ZL1 with just a CAI on it so far and he says my Camaro pulls harder than his ZL1 !! And he says it even seems much quicker. That makes me feel pretty good for sure. Now I just need to get this 4000-4200 stall in there !! lol
Old 08-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #36
Inferno dogg

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Don get me wrong I am in no way disappointed in the car!! It's definitely the fastest and most fun car I've ever owned. Just thought it would have dynoed a little higher. The converter is by far the best mod hands down.
GPI SS3 cam with top end goodies,Circle D 4c 3800 w/Derale trans cooler kit sold by GPI,3.90 yukon gears,Kooks long tube headers,Roto fab cold air intake, Corsa extreme 3" cat back, Dyno tuned by Andrews Auto Georgetown MI, Heritage Grille, T4 splitter with under tray, Anvil spoiler,MRR 228 reps with Nitto NT555G2 tires 315 rear 275 fronts,BMR poly bushings,HD Diff cover from RDP,Raytech install kit
Inferno dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #37
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno dogg View Post
Don get me wrong I am in no way disappointed in the car!! It's definitely the fastest and most fun car I've ever owned. Just thought it would have dynoed a little higher. The converter is by far the best mod hands down.
I get it man, I felt the same way. I mean the bolt ons made a huge difference but I always felt like it wasn't enough. People will tell you don't get too focused on chasing numbers, but it's hard not to. I had always felt like the L99 owners were unfairly handicapped. It was an even bigger kick in the nuts to hear I would have to pay near double for a cam swap as the LS3 guys.

I remember when I first got my car and tried roll racing a Mustang (legally on a track of course!). It was a 2015 GT and it SPANKED me, like not remotely close. I don't even think I had a tune yet. What an eye opener. That was all I needed to motivate me though, and I ain't done yet! Now I have a cammed LS3 behind my 6L80 and it seems like everyone and their mother is boosted and pushing 600 rw+.

There is always something you can do to make these cars more powerful as long as you have the coin. But once you get there you will discover there is ALWAYS someone faster than you, and it's time for Mo Powah! It is a never ending quest.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #38
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that's with stock heads too. But with the BTR .660 springs, pushrods and bronze trunnion upgrade.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:20 PM   #39
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Numbers look fine to me. The gears also throw off the dyno numbers compared to those running stock gears, it will read a little lower than what it actually is. Your mods are more for acceleration so you increased your 1/4 time over stock by quite a bit even though the HP TQ numbers aren't that much higher than stock. IT's just a tool. 1/4 mile times is where it really matters. Add a cam if you want to see a good HP TQ jump.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #40
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that's with stock heads too. But with the BTR .660 springs, pushrods and bronze trunnion upgrade.
Wow that’s even more amazing
What does a higher stall converter feel like? They are doing mine when I do the can and heads and was just wondering what it feels like.
But like states hp is just one thing. I’ve seen videos of 800hp dumped cars running 8’s
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Old 09-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #41
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Wow that’s even more amazing
What does a higher stall converter feel like? They are doing mine when I do the can and heads and was just wondering what it feels like.
But like states hp is just one thing. I’ve seen videos of 800hp dumped cars running 8’s
Yea the stall I have still in there is the 3200, the 4200 goes in later this week, I hope. But yea it is different than a stock one for sure. With the stock converter the trans is "tight" with the higher stall it is a bit looser, when you take your foot of the brake she just kinda pokes along and when you accelerate easily along you can feel the looseness of it, when you wrap on it the thing will flash up to around 3400, mine is a 3200 and it flashes up to there and locks and pulls like a train, and when you let off it will unlock and the car RPM will drop way down and coast, then you pick it back up and it will flash back up to the 3400 and lock and load !!. It is a really cool feeling. I have mine set to be locked in all of my "manual" mode gears so I can cruise along at whatever speed and cool the trans back down after some "spirited" driving. Hope you are installing a trans cooler too, you'll need it.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #42
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Yea the stall I have still in there is the 3200, the 4200 goes in later this week, I hope. But yea it is different than a stock one for sure. With the stock converter the trans is "tight" with the higher stall it is a bit looser, when you take your foot of the brake she just kinda pokes along and when you accelerate easily along you can feel the looseness of it, when you wrap on it the thing will flash up to around 3400, mine is a 3200 and it flashes up to there and locks and pulls like a train, and when you let off it will unlock and the car RPM will drop way down and coast, then you pick it back up and it will flash back up to the 3400 and lock and load !!. It is a really cool feeling. I have mine set to be locked in all of my "manual" mode gears so I can cruise along at whatever speed and cool the trans back down after some "spirited" driving. Hope you are installing a trans cooler too, you'll need it.
That makes sense thanks, I’ve read tons of technical stuff about them and was just confused lol. Yea I plan on buying it and bringing it to csp to install it too while it’s there and also the dipstick mod.