Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #29
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
The ATS is cramped and I'm only 6 feet 1 and 175 pounds. If it is that small (which I really doubt it will be...) it's going to hurt Camaro sales.

It HAS to be wider than the ATS at least. I drove the ATS for a year but found it too small. My wife is now driving the ATS and I am using our 2013 SRX while the ZL1 is in the garage for the winter.

I just think people are going to be disappointed thinking it's going to come in at ~3600 pounds in V8 trim with any sort of options. It's going to be bigger than the ATS and have larger wheels and tires, heavier drivetrain etc.

It'll still handle like a monster and have awesome performance, it just won't be massively lighter than the fifth gen.
So are you saying you want the interior space of an SRX? The Camaro is meant to be a sporty intimate coupe. I predict that the 6th gen will have more efficient interior packaging that the 5th gen - even with a smaller exterior. Figure an inch here and a couple inches there. That actually all adds up. If you want more than that, maybe a Camaro is not for you.

Last edited by Z/284ever; 12-30-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
I know I'm dreaming but I would really like to see the 2016 SS Camaro weighing in @ sub- 3,600lbs ............ keeping fingers crossed ...........
Quote:
Personally I think a loaded V8 car will be 3800-3900 pounds plus easily. It's most likely going to be on a LARGER alpha platform than the ATS with a burlier drivetrain (Engine, trans, differential will all weigh more)

I own an ATS and I'd be very surprised that they'll mirror the ATS platform size in the Camaro. It's just too small for the segment.

Just my two cents of course
Loaded V8 may be in the 3,800 range (upper 3,700??) , but a base SS should be around 3,700.

It its near 3,900 even completely loaded I say its a disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
The ATS coupe is pretty close to size to the 2015 Mustang.. Check the dimensions online.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
So are you saying you want the interior space of an SRX? The Camaro is meant to be a sporty intimate coupe. I predict that the 6th gen will have more efficient interior packaging that the 5th gen - even with a smaller exterior. Figure an inch here and a couple inches there. That actually all adds up. If you want more than that, maybe a Camaro is not for you.

Agreed! The Camaro has only gotten bigger and bigger over the years. Did anyone complain about the size of the other gens? I don't think so. So if the 6th gen shrinks back down a couple of inches I welcome it. 5th gen is big enough. Challenger is a sweet looking car, but the first thing I think of when I see one up close is how damn big they are.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #31
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
Only a fool buys a solid rear axle car in the 21st century.
Says the guy who PUBLICLY claims ownership of a Subaru...

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #32
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
No that's not what I'm saying. I've owned five F-bodies and currently own a 2015 ZL1. I'm very familiar with the platforms and have been in the game for over 20 years.

All I'm saying is that I bet the interior dimensions will be LARGER than the ATS and that a loaded car will be in the 3800 pound range.

That's it
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Cant wait for the 6th gen! The 2014 Mustangs are the best ones to me solid rears or not. Never have been a fan of the land yachts(challengers). Way too big and heavy. Dont even like they way they look anymore. A 3700# ranged camaro is probably what we are getting.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #34
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
No that's not what I'm saying. I've owned five F-bodies and currently own a 2015 ZL1. I'm very familiar with the platforms and have been in the game for over 20 years.

All I'm saying is that I bet the interior dimensions will be LARGER than the ATS and that a loaded car will be in the 3800 pound range.

That's it
"V8 car will be 3800-3900 pounds plus easily".. That's what you said. Big range, and "easily" and "Plus" makes it sound like you think it will be even more.

I'm going with a 3,700 pound base SS and about 3,800 for the loaded.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #35
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
"V8 car will be 3800-3900 pounds plus easily".. That's what you said. Big range, and "easily" and "Plus" makes it sound like you think it will be even more.

I'm going with a 3,700 pound base SS and about 3,800 for the loaded.
3800-3900 is what I'm guessing. If it's lighter great!

We should know more within a few weeks if all goes well...
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #36
RobC
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvettes, G37x sedan, 383ci F-body
Quote:
You're contributing greatly beyond your initial post.. Sound as bad as some people on the Mustang forum. I guess turds are everywhere.
Are you kidding me?
I built multiple 5.0 Mustangs in the early 1990s and drove them daily until the C5. Even while I was dumping tens of thousands of dollars into those fox bodies back then, I still hated the solid axle. A solid rear axle is just pathetic. Anyone who argues otherwise is a clueless fan boi and will be called out by every educated car guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Says the guy who PUBLICLY claims ownership of a Subaru...
I've NEVER owned a Subaru and never have claimed to.
You must be member of the solid rear axle demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Cant wait for the 6th gen! The 2014 Mustangs are the best ones to me solid rears or not.
Only a complete idiot buys a solid rear axle car in the 21st Century.......
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #37
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
You're one special individual, Rob. I don't care what you have built nor am I arguing that a solid axle is better. Would I have preferred IRS. Yes. Did it stop me from choosing the Mustang over the Camaro? No.

The car has felt uneasy one time going over a good set of bumps in the time I have owned it..

Anyway, I'm looking forward to shortcomings of the Camaro being fixed for 6th gen and I'll be in one. I simply didn't enjoy sitting inside of the 5th gen.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Don't count on GM succeeding on any kind of efficient packaging. GM has been notorious for large cars with cramped interiors. GM is very hung up on high belt lines too which really makes a car feel smaller on the inside.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #39
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Don't count on GM succeeding on any kind of efficient packaging. GM has been notorious for large cars with cramped interiors. GM is very hung up on high belt lines too which really makes a car feel smaller on the inside.
I have to agree with you there, but in the case of the Camaro...I don't care. lol Yes my opinion I know.

Does the 5th gen choose form over function? Probably so. That didn't stop it from outselling the Mustang, and it doesn't stop strangers from staring at my now 5 year old car and still giving me thumbs up.

It has got to look good. End of story. If that means the beltline has to be an inch or two higher than a normal car, and it doesn't have the outward visibility of a minivan...bring it on!!

But hopefully, this time...we can get form AND function! (but again...only if it looks magnificent!)
Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #40
RobC
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvettes, G37x sedan, 383ci F-body
Quote:
You're one special individual, Rob. I don't care what you have built nor am I arguing that a solid axle is better. Would I have preferred IRS. Yes.
So, you intentionally bought a car in the 21st century with a inferior suspension from a donkey cart? shaking my head.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to shortcomings of the Camaro being fixed for 6th gen and I'll be in one. I simply didn't enjoy sitting inside of the 5th gen.
Agreed.
As a owner of multiple F-bodies and Corvettes, I've always hated the curb weight, interior, and lack of visibility of the 5th Gen Camaro. If the 6th Gen addressed all of the above, I'm in.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #41
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
Are you kidding me?
I built multiple 5.0 Mustangs in the early 1990s and drove them daily until the C5. Even while I was dumping tens of thousands of dollars into those fox bodies back then, I still hated the solid axle. A solid rear axle is just pathetic. Anyone who argues otherwise is a clueless fan boi and will be called out by every educated car guy.

I've NEVER owned a Subaru and never have claimed to.
You must be member of the solid rear axle demographic.

Only a complete idiot buys a solid rear axle car in the 21st Century.......
Wow.. What a douche.

Please stop pretending you are an educated car guy, or speak on their behalf. You dont. Spending thousands of dollars "building" fox bodies doesnt mean you what your doing either.

If you actually were a car guy, you would asses the entire package with their pro's and con's.. A solid rear axle has many pro's.. Obviously you wouldnt know.
Of course IRS has it's merits also
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok, back to fun.

Let's start a poll. Over under.................3,750 pounds. I say that because that is the number I would pick on the button.

So, 1SS manual, base trim OVER or UNDER

Not what you hope, but what you predict.