Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #29
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Blind spot indicators help big time. Otherwise I try to map myself out through my entire drive tracking if anyone pulled up behind me and remembering positions. Personally I try to speed up on lane changes so IF someone was there, they would now be out of my blind spot effectively.
This ^^

Then check , check and check again !!!

Oh AND WHATEVER YOU DO. DONT TINT THE INDOWS TOO DARK , MAKES IT WAY WAY WORSE ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT !!!
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #30
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
How do the rest of you deal with the blind spot when driving on the freeway? There is a point when a car is behind you on the left or right hand side that you can't see them- in the rear view mirror- or even if you turn your head due to the small rear side windows and large rear pillar. I almost turned into someone the other night when I was in the middle lane and someone was passing on the right and I did not know it. I looked in my rear view, no one there, put my blinker on, then instinctively turn my head like I have my entire life driving but the view is blocked by the pillar, so I thought well no one is there and started to go over and good thing I don't change lanes too fast, I saw him a split second before I hit him and moved back in the middle lane. it was very close.

That one blind sport you can see nothing-even if you turn your head. I never had a car like this before where there is a blind spot- a real blind spot, nothing you can do. All cars have blind sports in the rear view, easily overcome by looking over your shoulder to assure no one is there. Can't do this in the Camaro.
Not going to repeat the proper mirror-setting procedures...that IS the issue. I will add that it does take an hour or so of driving around with them set further out than you are used to before you'll be comfortable (mine are set to where I can barely see the outermost edge of the door handles without moving my head left or right from my normal driving position). I almost NEVER need to turn my head to look sideways or back to change lanes.

In my opinion, this blind spot criticism of our Camaros is legitimate (Mustangs have better vis), but very much overblown (Challenger rear-quarter vis is dramatically worse than the Camaro). Tried 'em both...do the same and see for yourself!!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #31
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The lack of visibility is real and it's an issue to overcome. The less you see outside, the less situational awareness you have, as in, there's a panel truck over there, a semi a few cars back in that lane, a ford moving 20mph faster than all the other traffic two lanes over. This builds a mental "picture" of what is going on around you, so if a rock came loose off a hillside or a dog ran out into traffic, you would know what direction you can move the car instantly without having to first check your mirrors to see if you can move in that direction, then react (which may be too late). 99.9% of the time, this doesn't matter, but in a critical situation where you are faced with the unexpected (like the Spanish Inquisition), this knowledge and information could be critical. If you adjust the mirrors properly, you can see the "blind spots"...But, you are still looking in a "tunnel" effectively, the rear view mirror limits your visibility, the side mirrors cut out a lot, the high sills limit your visibility, etc. Moving over more than one lane at a time can be risky for this reason.

I for one feel the trade-offs are worth it. This is why the car looks the way it does, and I think it looks fantastic. You can adapt, but humans are not perfect machines, they are incapable of doing a task perfectly each time. Fate is the hunter that is waiting for you to slip up just a little bit, and everyone does at some point.

For every person that complains about visibility, there's a nice econo-box car waiting for you at your flavor of dealership that doesn't have this issue. I like the exotic looks of our cars.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:37 PM   #32
Doug kj6aco

Drives: 2017 1LT RS M6
I found this video on you tube and I bought these for about $8.00 stuck them on I had to look twice at each mirror, but I have no blind spot.

https://youtu.be/sGk_7V8lJUg
Doug kj6aco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 AM   #33
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Blind Spots I have no blind spots.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 AM   #34
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Honestly I have been driving Camaros and Firebirds since 1992 ( 9 cars in all ) I guess I am used to the so called blind spots I have zero issues with driving these cars day or night.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:25 AM   #35
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Blind Spots I have no blind spots.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #36
MSboy91

Drives: Hyper Blue Metallic 2016 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
You can also move your head/body forwards to increase the range of visibility from the side mirrors. I've learnt to physically lean forwards while looking in the side mirrors to increase the range of coverage. Even with correctly positioned mirrors, this is a very quick move that's an easy habit to adopt but gives me even more assurance that I've not missed anything...

As others have said, whatever method you adopt, make sure you test it thoroughly so when a car passes you (or you pass them but either way do it slowly) you're able to track them all the way and not lose them for a second...

Hope this helps,
Pete.
That is exactly what I do. I lean forward and look at the side mirror. From my times of riding motorcycle, I keep track of what's around me most times when I'm driving. Constant checks of my rear and side mirrors
MSboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #37
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Mirror adjustment and "Defensive driving" , my Mom taught me, yup. We own sportscars & must take the responsible approach, not to do so is irresponsible.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
As everyone else has said...adjust your mirrors.

If you can see the side of the car, you are doing it wrong.

With mirror set correctly, you should be able to see a car that is on the immediate lane on either side of you come out of view of your rear view mirror and at the same time, coming into view on your side mirror as they pass you.

Fixed.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #39
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
I put the top down
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #40
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Another important tip when changing lanes is to use your turn signal to notify drivers behind you, and hopefully beside you that you're changing lanes. This gives the other driver(s) time to anticipate your move. It's just added insurance. Plus, you'd be the only driver on the road using them.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #41
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim50thSS View Post
I put the top down
Same here. Works well for me!!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #42
sdavis2702

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
This is it. Adjust your mirrors quite a bit out and use the rear view more. Cars should go from your pirepheral to the side mirror to the rear view mirror to the other side to your pirepheral without any gaps. Works fine in mine.

Put your head almost against your driver’s window, adjust the driver mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear fender. Put your head in the center of the car, over the console, and adjust the passenger mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear passenger fender. Sit normally in the driver seat and adjust the rear view mirror to be straight back.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get it down you’ll never want to go back.
I've got all the tech bells and whistles so blind spot is not a problem for me. But thanks for this. I'm definitely going to make this adjustment.