Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 06-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #29
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintmk View Post
IDK, I'm not going to say I'm much of a GM/Ford/Fiat diehard. The Camaro will be my first American in quite awhile. However, I think this is one of those old rivalries die hard scenarios.

IMO, ford isn't going to drop a motor with +700hp in anything other than the GT, doesn't make any sense to me to produce a race car, when you already sell a race car, and the Mustang chassis isn't going to compete with the current Vette lineup, with a GT500 est. pricing sitting right in that sweet spot.

The hellcat is a dog and pony show getting spread out over the Fiat lineup. Don't be surprised to see one in a RAM or a Jeep. It may have 700+hp, but it's not model specific, and while they may be classy looking vehicles, I haven't heard much word on what the upcoming versions of the charger/challenger will be like....regardless of the fact that Marchionne is planning on doing some wild things with company setup/direction.

As was previously mentioned, I think the GT500 and the Z28 should be close running companions. With neither company willing to venture too far into Vette/Porsche territory
Ford can venture anywhere they want, they don't have a car above the mustang to "protect" (with the GT at a rumored $400k, it's not exactly close in price to anything else they currently have). The GT350R, not GT500, is for the Z/28. The GT500 is for the Hellcat / ZL1.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #30
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I honestly do not believe that GM/Chevrolet gives two hoots about what the HP is that a Hellcat or GT500 has. If they did, when Ford brought out the 662 HP GT500, they would have at least bumped the ZL1.

They didn't.

When the Hellcat came out at 707 HP, again, GM could have bumped the HP but with the Gen 6 on the immediate horizon, no way would that happen.

And, with the big dog Vette being at 650, we will never see more than 645 for the next Z-car from GM.

GM has - so far - been more about a car with balance and more than one feature like HP. Technology, road track worthiness (and not just at the 1/4 mile), etc has been their mainstay with the Camaro.

Look back at the original ZL1s - they still did not have more HP than the Vette. If it weren't for the COPO back door, we would not have seen a 427 Camaro at all from GM.

So GM does NOT care if another manufacturer has more HP in their comparable platform.

And that's fine by me. For me, it is not about who has the biggest number under the hood - it's about THE CAR.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #31

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Look back at the original ZL1s - they still did not have more HP than the Vette. If it weren't for the COPO back door, we would not have seen a 427 Camaro at all from GM.

So GM does NOT care if another manufacturer has more HP in their comparable platform.

And that's fine by me. For me, it is not about who has the biggest number under the hood - it's about THE CAR.
But the orginal ZL1s was a one trick pony like the Hellcat, straight line speed.

Here is my prediction, there will be a Gen6 Z/28 and ZL1. The Z/28 will be the track focused Camaro and the ZL1 will be the straight line, High HP car. I'm thinking old rules have gone the way of the Dodo (Protecting the Corvette).
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #32
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
But the orginal ZL1s was a one trick pony like the Hellcat, straight line speed.

Here is my prediction, there will be a Gen6 Z/28 and ZL1. The Z/28 will be the track focused Camaro and the ZL1 will be the straight line, High HP car. I'm thinking old rules have gone the way of the Dodo (Protecting the Corvette).
huh?

are you comparing the 1969 ZL1 to the 2015 Hellcat?

If yes or no...HUH???

The 2012 ZL1 was not a 1 trick pony, so i'm really lost on where you are going with this.

a 2012 ZL1 posted 7:41.27 at Nurburgring - 1 BIG trick.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #33
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Hellcat is not what GM should be worried about. GM should be concerned with the next GT500.
the Hellcat is... The Hellcat. The Ford GT's are Chevy's rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
GM shouldn't try to match existing cars. They should be trying to beat them in every way possible. They tried to match the GT500 and look what happened.
Yes^^ An LT4 equipped Camaro is predictable and will be trumped by Ford immediately

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #34
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Anyone else thinking that the "EcoBeast" may be fords Twin Turbo 6 that theyre using for the new GT? Itd be a great test bed for an engine architecture that (correct me if I am wrong) ford doesnt have. Basically, a way for them to recoup some of the engineering costs of the GT

which could mean that GM could be building a bigger TT6 for the Z/28. They mentioned using a smaller displacement engine for the original '28, why not bring in a 600+ HP TT6 that spools up to 10k (or whatever)
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #35

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
huh?

are you comparing the 1969 ZL1 to the 2015 Hellcat?

If yes or no...HUH???

The 2012 ZL1 was not a 1 trick pony, so i'm really lost on where you are going with this.

a 2012 ZL1 posted 7:41.27 at Nurburgring - 1 BIG trick.

The person that I quoted said "original" ZL1. So i was referring to the Original ZL1.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #36
fradaj

Drives: RS
Motor Trend did a comparison between the ZL1 and the Hellcat. I was surprised how close the ZL1 was to the Hellcat in acceleration and how close the Hellcat was to the ZL1 on the handling course.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #37
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
Motor Trend did a comparison between the ZL1 and the Hellcat. I was surprised how close the ZL1 was to the Hellcat in acceleration and how close the Hellcat was to the ZL1 on the handling course.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
You are misled on the handing part. Check some other vehicle times in their figure 8 and compare to the difference between the Hellcat and ZL1. That 0.7 seconds is a big difference. The Hellcat isn't an oil tanker by any means but isn't really isn't that close to ZL1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #38
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
The person that I quoted said "original" ZL1. So i was referring to the Original ZL1.
oh...still a cool video though.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 AM   #39
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I honestly do not believe that GM/Chevrolet gives two hoots about what the HP is that a Hellcat or GT500 has. If they did, when Ford brought out the 662 HP GT500, they would have at least bumped the ZL1.

They didn't.

When the Hellcat came out at 707 HP, again, GM could have bumped the HP but with the Gen 6 on the immediate horizon, no way would that happen.

And, with the big dog Vette being at 650, we will never see more than 645 for the next Z-car from GM.

GM has - so far - been more about a car with balance and more than one feature like HP. Technology, road track worthiness (and not just at the 1/4 mile), etc has been their mainstay with the Camaro.

One thing to consider/remember it that Ford will without a doubt learned a great deal about how to make S550 handle any road track developing GT350. These lessons will allow for development of a GT500 that is much more capable than its predecessors.

This means that the next GT500 will be built in a manner not utterly divergent from that which lead to the last ZL1. A high powered pony car that will be a great all around package.

So, if the next GT500 can handle and brake as well, and provide DD comforts on par with the Zxx; it begs the question...

Why would GM be content to release a 650hp Zxx to compete with a possibly, and most likely 700+hp GT500?
Old 06-11-2015, 03:26 AM   #40
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I guess it depends on if straight is all you're worried about. The hellcat has already beaten the new Z06 in that department a couple if times. If it can do that then the new ZL1 (if they call it that) better have more power than the Z06. For me, I don't really think it needs to beat the hellcat at the strip. It just needs to be attainable. The hellcat really isn't.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #41
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Hopefully, we are approaching the day when auto companies will say "enough is enough" and stop building these foolishly high HP cars for the general public (street users). I don't know if Ford or Chrysler offer a COPO equivalent (not street legal), but they should.

My fear is, if this HP race continues, our Government will eventually jump in and put a limit on how much power the general public needs to have available for driving around on the streets.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #42
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Why would GM be content to release a 650hp Zxx to compete with a possibly, and most likely 700+hp GT500?
Maybe Because it seems like the fan base is content being second. I have been flamed over and over for asking for more, rebutted with ring times and comparisons. Even sales figures. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I don't really think it needs to beat the hellcat at the strip. It just needs to be attainable. The hellcat really isn't.
If by attainable you mean ability to purchase without Dealer markup?, that day will come. I applaud Dodge for building a car with this kind of demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Hopefully, we are approaching the day when auto companies will say "enough is enough" and stop building these foolishly high HP cars for the general public (street users). I don't know if Ford or Chrysler offer a COPO equivalent (not street legal), but they should.

My fear is, if this HP race continues, our Government will eventually jump in and put a limit on how much power the general public needs to have available for driving around on the streets.
WTF??
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote