Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #29
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
A owner can get a Camaro repaired for a reasonable price if anything breaks and dealers are everywhere. Try saying the same about a BMW.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #30
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Hmm. I’ve owned 2 M5s and 2 ZL1 1LEs at the same time. The M5 is no joke on the roll runs. Have you ran one or been in one. They put out 600 rwhp stock. What do I know.
I've ran one, granted my ZL1 does not have the drag of the 1LE. It was very close, but as the other poster said you start pulling slightly. Euros like to under rate their engines, but they also tend to under rate their weight
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #31
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
A owner can get a Camaro repaired for a reasonable price if anything breaks and dealers are everywhere. Try saying the same about a BMW.
As long as it’s not an oil change at Chevy. Those don’t work out too good.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #32
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
No reason not to change your own oil on a Camaro unless you're in a wheelchair, very easy
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #33
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
The power doesn't always come on as predictably and as linearly as I would like--probably a combination of being supercharged, the A10, and all the nannies. My pro-touring 70 Firebird should have the opposite problem...700hp N/A, t-56, manual 6P brakes, 3300#.
Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #34
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
The extra 100hp would be nice but isn't needed. As others have said this is a sports car meant for the track. It just happens to do well in a straight line too. Hellcats can't pass it until ~140. Only good for open highway races or half mile events. They will never pass it on the track. The ZL1 feels insanely sporty even in it's most comfortable settings. It is a true sportscar and is only bested (barely) by the GT500 and Z06 for cars under 6 figures.

Just a quick interjection, as far as I've seen you cant get a gt500 for under six figures at this point. Went by the ford dealership the other day to get parts for a work truck. 35k markup for a total price of $115k. They're still asking 10k Adm on the 350 as well. Just my personal experience with local dealer in so cal. Dollar per hp the zl1 is still looking pretty good
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #35
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Just a quick interjection, as far as I've seen you cant get a gt500 for under six figures at this point. Went by the ford dealership the other day to get parts for a work truck. 35k markup for a total price of $115k. They're still asking 10k Adm on the 350 as well. Just my personal experience with local dealer in so cal. Dollar per hp the zl1 is still looking pretty good
No you're right. Realistically you can get a new ZL1 for 5k under with some crazy deals on a low mile one. The GT500 will almost always have a mark up. The value difference leans far in the ZL1's favor, but I wanted to use msrp to be a bit more neutral.

I honestly can't think of a better value sportscar.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:35 PM   #36
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
No you're right. Realistically you can get a new ZL1 for 5k under with some crazy deals on a low mile one. The GT500 will almost always have a mark up. The value difference leans far in the ZL1's favor, but I wanted to use msrp to be a bit more neutral.

I honestly can't think of a better value sportscar.
I decided to move on and not pay over msrp from those crook. I tried over 5 times from different dealers and it was the same bs. I work, long, hard, hours to be handing out free money to greedy people. They can stick the GT 500 up theirs. No thanks.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #37
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
A downside to me was how deceiving speed can be in this car. It's been a good long while since I've had a Camaro, and it wasn't anything like this. This car is almost double the power, STOCK!!!

This might bite me in the backside later (I hope not), but this car hooks completely unlike I expected for 650 horsepower. Even in Comp Mode, in cold weather, the thing will spin the tires a bit, and then just go. There's hardly any sway and wasted time - it just goes. That could lead to false confidence, if one forgets the power that lies beneath. On warm tires, it's even better.

I agree with more power. It would've been nice to either get more power with ZL1 or have a higher-end model with more power. But look at what's going on now... No one's buying. Sales are in the toilet. All the money that they would've spent developing a car with 750-horse would've been taken from development, probably, of all 1LEs, and probably standard ZL1. Power-tests withstanding, ZL1's chassis is pretty much second to none in the segment. If they took the money for a 750-horse model from any of the cars I just listed, we'd have a Challenger or at least a Mustang. The ZL1 1LE's chassis is what keeps it pretty much neck-and-neck with the GT500, with MORE power.

While warranty is out the window, you can get a bigger blower for more power with some warranty. It isn't as cut-and-dry as GM's, but nothing's free...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #38
Hell Raiser
To fast is not enough

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro & 2020 CT5-V Turbo
Now to get back what I have been saying these cars are slow. I seen one ZL1 make a 10 second pass and could not back it up. (STOCK) I have seen dodge do it all day long. These cars needs a 100 more HP to keep up. Tires suck so you got to buy when bought. No back seat, no vision for the back, But I still like the ZL1 all and all, They look good ride good and tear up tires good for no traction. C8 vette is getting all the looks now that's why Camaro sales are down. We need someone in GM to take a new approach on the Camaro and get some advertising for it. You don't never see any mention of the Camaros on anything.
Hell Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #39
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
But again you don't buy a ZL1 as a one dimensional straight line/drag car (or most people don't).

It's like the sportbike vs Harley argument. If you're a Harley person I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you my Ducati is better
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #40
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Thanks, I see you are just up the road from me. You just saved me a trip to a Ford dealership. Most of the GT500s in the local area are listed at just over $100K with a few at around $80K. Nope, I'm not paying 100 grand for a Mustang.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #41
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Ford and their ADM is what made me take a closer look at the ZL1. I thought if I were patient could snag a GT500 for MSRP. After 3 months decided to move on and boy am I glad I did!
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #42
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Thanks, I see you are just up the road from me. You just saved me a trip to a Ford dealership. Most of the GT500s in the local area are listed at just over $100K with a few at around $80K. Nope, I'm not paying 100 grand for a Mustang.
Yep saw the same thing at el cajon ford, they were asking an insane amount for there's as well. However the one in temecula was already sold at that $115k..... crazy
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote