Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #393
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

The supercharger whine splits opinions just as easily as auto/manual.

For what it's worth.....I very rarely heard it while there, in person. My ears are not a digital camera's.

When the car is accelerated away from you, all you hear it Thunder (and bangs, if an automatic). When the car is accelerating towards you, all you hear is intense air movement...like the woosh of a jet fighter. Even inside, the exhaust it overpoweringly loud. Every once in a while you hear that supercharger whine...but most of the time you don't.

For some reason - videotapes accentuate the whine, but it's actually not that loud.

(Personally, I prefer my engines to bellow, not whine.)
I really am curious of experiencing this in person! All the videos and everything you can hear the whine super loud which like you said could be argued just like manual vs auto, a love/hate side to it. Within the C7 z06 cabin you really cannot hear the whine at all. With windows up at least. Windows down, oh yes you can hear it lol. Different platforms, I am sure different, more/less sound deadening compared etc. Thank you for all the info and write ups!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #394
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I really am curious of experiencing this in person! All the videos and everything you can hear the whine super loud which like you said could be argued just like manual vs auto, a love/hate side to it. Within the C7 z06 cabin you really cannot hear the whine at all. With windows up at least. Windows down, oh yes you can hear it lol. Different platforms, I am sure different, more/less sound deadening compared etc. Thank you for all the info and write ups!
This is pretty accurate to what I heard in person.

Pay especially close attention to the acceleration down the hill at 0:42. That's not videotape foolery....it really sounds like that coming at you.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #395
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
This is pretty accurate to what I heard in person.

Pay especially close attention to the acceleration down the hill at 0:42. That's not videotape foolery....it really sounds like that coming at you.

This brings up the question I asked on another thread. Does the ZL1 have a different blower? The reason I say that is people are saying the SC is different /louder. Does the ZL1 come with a CAI? That could make it louder in the original LSA they purposely made the blower quieter because it was going in a Caddy, did they change this time? They said the ZL1 has different intake and exhaust, what are they specifically talking about?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #396
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I think subtle supercharger whine is nice on F/I cars...

Really over the top whine, like Eaton TVS series stuff (I believe)...that can be a bit obnoxious.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #397
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to a dealer!!!!!
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #398
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
This brings up the question I asked on another thread. Does the ZL1 have a different blower? The reason I say that is people are saying the SC is different /louder. Does the ZL1 come with a CAI? That could make it louder in the original LSA they purposely made the blower quieter because it was going in a Caddy, did they change this time? They said the ZL1 has different intake and exhaust, what are they specifically talking about?
No, it's still the 1.7L blower...the engine is still an LT4.

The intake and exhaust modifications they're discussing are most likely referencing the fact that the engine was brought from Corvette platform to Camaro with some custom changes for fitment, etc (The Corvette is a much tighter package to deal with).

It still uses a panel filter/box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I think subtle supercharger whine is nice on F/I cars...

Really over the top whine, like Eaton TVS series stuff (I believe)...that can be a bit obnoxious.
I agree 100%.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #399
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
To me it actually does. The more aspects the better. Like I said, I am here to learn more and what people actually think. As long as... It's done on a much higher intelligent level than "ohhh I'll race you for pink slips bro". Which you sounded like you wouldn't so even though you are calling me a twit which is pretty funny actually so please do. Chad0311 did a damn good job by commenting (not being sarcastic) and proved the exact reason why I am on the forums. He did not try to insult, belittle and was an educated, intelligent post. Which I guess it very rare to come by on the internet.
Thanks for the compliment and responding gracefully the way you did. I think we are all pretty fired up and excited about the ZL1 coming back. Just didn't want to see Dodge get run through the mud when they are putting out (IMO) great performance cars just because they aren't track focused.
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #400
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I think in a real drag race stock for stock the ZL1 will win most of the time simply do to the traction issues the hell cat challenger has from the lack of the proper size tires. It truly is an awesome car either way. Pretty impressive to see it hang with a Z06. Although, there are also youtube videos showing it the other way too. The challenger sounds like it has the scare the crap out of you factor which is what I always liked. I will say that my ZL1 is so controlled and well mannered that it's almost numb at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
It will definitely be close. It may be down about 60-70hp, but it will also weigh anywhere from 300 to 600lbs. less than the HC twins. Depending on which HC is compared and which end of the spectrum the "200lbs. less" comment is from. Off the line, the ZL1 will probably win due to better stock tires. From a roll, I'd say the HC has the advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
The Z06 even with Z07 package ($88k) doesn't quite match up to the ACR ($121k)in price or performance. The Z06 is priced on par with the SRT base model. The ACR offers insane track performance but simply isn't as appealing overall. After next year the Viper is nixed anyhow due to abysmal sales. Chevrolet sold 8,000 Z06's last year while Dodge sold only 600 Vipers at massive discounts.

We know the Z06 was not designed as a top speed car. Car&Driver tested both Z06 and Challenger to 150. The Challenger manual is slower than either Z06 but the Challenger auto is faster than either Z06. Of course put one tiny bend in the road and it's game over for the Hellcat.

Hellcat 6M: 19.1s
Hellcat 8A: 17.0s
Z06 7M: 18.1s
Z06 8A: 17.8s

Sadly Charger Hellcat sales have been really slow. Last I heard the Challenger Hellcat was outselling the Charger 7:1.
All in all, GM or Dodge. ZL1 is gorgeous and the Hellcat is gorgeous. I can't complain on either side. I will own both most likely. However to chime in on the sales, I believe your wrong.

Reason why the Challenger sales are higher is because Dodge produced a hell of a lot more Challengers, 7:1 basically. Charger Hellcats are rarely seen on roads and an ADM on most of them Challengers included on lots is some to blame to. Charger Hellcats have sold extremely well. Challengers have increased in sales from when first introduced to now. Whatever you heard is a tiny bit false.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 03-17-2016 at 03:33 PM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #401
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I am ordering an SS, but I WANT THOSE SEATS!! They are so much better looking than the standard SS seats.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #402
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
I will completely agree with your statement of we drive what we drive for what we want and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I didn't buy you your car and you didn't buy mine. Gen5 to Gen6 / Hellcat is a canyon of a difference. It is not a good reference point. If you had owned a gen6 you would be more qualified to reserve any judgement against gen6 camaro's as well as the upcoming ZL1.

Funny you mention about pink slips and drag racing. That's your "manly" way of satisfying yourself? Sorry bro, I don't swing that way. Happily married to a woman. You could however learn to respect and accept other people's opinions whether you share them or not. There were a million other ways of expressing yourself in order to establish your points of disagreeing which you had chosen not to follow a certain way of accomplishing that. I can think of a couple reasons as to why but what's the point? You won't get "what the hell I am talking about" anyways.
So what your saying is the fact I have never owned a Gen 6 I must reserve my comments until I do so? I gave you enough attention as it is because now your comments have gone beyond immature to just plain ignorant.

You joined the forum in late of 2015. I've been here since '09. Fbodfather, past/present owners of the 5th Gen, "The Disciples" feedback made what we have today. While you waited and made excuses (most likely couldn't afford one) we were here, many of us. I can make judgement if I so choose. There was a reason why I bought every trim level of the 5th Gen outside of the Z/28. I'm not going to do the same thing with the 6th Gen. I specifically waited for the ZL1, and now it's here. I'm excited, period. I will own one, period.

To conclude who mentioned anything about sexuality? Smh. Apparently I missed that memo. You lost my respect on any opinions and anything further.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 03-17-2016 at 03:50 PM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #403
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
One of the reasons why the Hellcat sold as well as it has, and it has extremely well, is because it was, is and will continue to be larger, more comfortable, more daily driver livable.

It IS focused on drag racing, Dodge was always very open on that. It's *competent* on a track, but that isn't it's focus. It handles well, better than it should for what it is and what it's based on, it stops well and really only needs more rubber to dramatically improve it's handling.

Will the Zl1 outhandle it? Without a doubt. Will it out brake it? yeah probably so. Will it be faster on a drag strip? Possibly, it depends on what the final power output will be for the ZL1.

However the Hellcat will be the better car for someone who wants to have a large, powerful super GT that they can also haul around a few friends or family, take it to work, take it on long road trips, etc. The Hellcat has a usable trunk, usable back seat, it's less cramped, more comfortable and in the real world will be just as capable of putting a smile on anyone's face. You don't need to take it to a track and throw it into corners to boast about it. It's happy being on the streets being a big, simple, happy muscle car.

Dodge didn't miss any memo, or is losing the game. They're playing an entirely different game on an entirely different field.

I apologize for the twit comment.
Very well stated. Apples and oranges and we would all be so lucky as to own both

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #404
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I haven't even heard anything in regards to this car being official...at least not for 2017. Did I miss something?
I think it's more wishful thinking from the Ford fans. They know they are getting left behind by GM and Dodge and they are praying that the 500 comes out so they have something to brag about. Right now, their precious 350 is going to get slayed by the SS and the R, most likely by the Zl1. So, they have nothing left to talk about other than latching on the thePills nut sack.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #405
Illmaticz

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Damnn..now this is one hell of a track car.
Illmaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #406
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Estimate HC 6.4 power/weight 275 rear tire
Guesstimate ZL1 6.1 power/weight 305 rear tire