Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2016, 01:52 AM   #295
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
Yup
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #296
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS L99 Blk with IOM pkg.
Not trying to be funny or anything... but Magnaflows response to my question was probably dead on! Who has the time, money, and resources to deal with precious metal laws and all the BS that must come with manufacturing Catalytic Converters?!? While I can certainly appreciate "keeping cost down" and using a third party for Cats... why aren't the manufacturers telling us more about the Highflow Cats? It's just hard to believe that everybody is making their own Cats, considering how expensive it must be? The government has this Cat $#!+ wrapped up tight, which is why you cant even ship or sell certain products in California; in fact, its practically the whole reason for even having emissions laws. I gotta imagine that the government is all over Cat manufactorers, giving them hell during the entire process!?! A while back, someone stated in this forum that one of the "Big Names" had their High Flow Cats made in Canada, yet claim their product to be 100% USA Crafted? Whatever happened to an answer to that question? CRICKETS.... Don't get me wrong; I understand the American Made Argument; however, lets keep it real! You either made it or you didn't... and if you didn't, where did you get it from? IMO, I believe "SOME" manufacturers are focusing solely on the American Made Argument, while at the same time neglecting the fact that they are using Cats that they actually know nothing about... Considering this, what difference does it make? Perhaps the product is 50/50... the BEST & WORST of both worlds!?! I don't see any shame in telling the truth about these products... Hell, at least TSP told us that they use Magnaflow Cats, (at least that's what I read in this forum; without rebuttal), which I think was great because Magnaflow makes good products anyway and at least we know where the Cats come from! (Not trying to knock Canada or any other country... I know our cars were made in Canada with LOTS of parts from Mexico, among other places)... I'm just saying...

Last edited by InfernoB; 03-08-2016 at 03:10 PM.
InfernoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #297
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Just got off the phone with Texas Speed... They indeed do use Magnaflow High Flow Cats, which are marketed as American Made! So I guess that means TSP Headers are helping the U.S. Economy afterall... Still waiting for the other Header Sponsors to let us know where their cats come from? I figure no response means they're probably made in China?
Attached Images

Last edited by InfernoB; 03-08-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #298
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Great question. I do not know the answer off hand but I will make some calls and try to find out.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #299
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Great question. I do not know the answer off hand but I will make some calls and try to find out.
Thanks...
Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #300
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoB View Post
Not trying to be funny or anything... but Magnaflows response to my question was probably dead on! Who has the time, money, and resources to deal with precious metal laws and all the BS that must come with manufacturing Catalytic Converters?!? While I can certainly appreciate "keeping cost down" and using a third party for Cats... why aren't the manufacturers telling us more about the Highflow Cats? It's just hard to believe that everybody is making their own Cats, considering how expensive it must be? The government has this Cat $#!+ wrapped up tight, which is why you cant even ship or sell certain products in California; in fact, its practically the whole reason for even having emissions laws. I gotta imagine that the government is all over Cat manufactorers, giving them hell during the entire process!?! A while back, someone stated in this forum that one of the "Big Names" had their High Flow Cats made in Canada, yet claim their product to be 100% USA Crafted? Whatever happened to an answer to that question? CRICKETS.... Don't get me wrong; I understand the American Made Argument; however, lets keep it real! You either made it or you didn't... and if you didn't, where did you get it from? IMO, I believe "SOME" manufacturers are focusing solely on the American Made Argument, while at the same time neglecting the fact that they are using Cats that they actually know nothing about... Considering this, what difference does it make? Perhaps the product is 50/50... the BEST & WORST of both worlds!?! I don't see any shame in telling the truth about these products... Hell, at least TSP told us that they use Magnaflow Cats, (at least that's what I read in this forum; without rebuttal), which I think was great because Magnaflow makes good products anyway and at least we know where the Cats come from! (Not trying to knock Canada or any other country... I know our cars were made in Canada with LOTS of parts from Mexico, among other places)... I'm just saying...
So far I have found out that Stainless Works cats are made by Random Technology out of Loganville, Ga. and Kooks cats are made by GESi in Whitby, Ontario, Canada.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 03-16-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #301
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Quote:
So far I have found out that Stainless Works cats are made by Random Technology out of Loganville, Ga. and Kooks cats are made by GESi in Whitby, Ontario, Canada.
And Texas Speed Cats are made by Magnaflow.... still need ARH and PFADT, along with any of the others you can find? Looks like KOOKS is charging all that extra money for the non-American made Cats afterall...
Old 03-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #302
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
And Texas Speed Cats are made by Magnaflow.... still need ARH and PFADT, along with any of the others you can find? Looks like KOOKS is charging all that extra money for the non-American made Cats afterall...
Still working on the others. The Kooks cats are made in Canada.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #303
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Still working on the others. The Kooks cats are made in Canada.
So in other words: made in America but not made in the USA.
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #304
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
So in other words: made in America but not made in the USA.
Point taken. Their headers are made here but I guess they never really claimed the cats were.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #305
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Quote:
Point taken. Their headers are made here but I guess they never really claimed the cats were.
Yea.… but they're misleading us by omission… claiming to be american made. But at least Texas Speed told the truth, as well as Stainless Works and even Stainless Power for that matter. With Stainless Power you get Headers Made in China, but at least the Cats are American Made… I was told that both SW and SP use the same Cats by a Stainless Works Rep. So from the looks of it so far, Kooks product with Cats is a Hybrid, just like Texas Speed and Stainless Power… but at least they didn't try to hide it from us. Much respect to Stainless Work, Stainless Power, and TSP for being completely honest! In fact, even OBX doesn't claim to be "American Made"… at least they were honest too. If you say its "American Made" then it should be 100% American Made; no need to lie about it and let everybody think that when they buy your product it's ALL about the US economy…
Old 03-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #306
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Yea.… but they're misleading us by omission… claiming to be american made. But at least Texas Speed told the truth, as well as Stainless Works and even Stainless Power for that matter. With Stainless Power you get Headers Made in China, but at least the Cats are American Made… I was told that both SW and SP use the same Cats by a Stainless Works Rep. So from the looks of it so far, Kooks product with Cats is a Hybrid, just like Texas Speed and Stainless Power… but at least they didn't try to hide it from us. Much respect to Stainless Work, Stainless Power, and TSP for being completely honest! In fact, even OBX doesn't claim to be "American Made"… at least they were honest too. If you say its "American Made" then it should be 100% American Made; no need to lie about it and let everybody think that when they buy your product it's ALL about the US economy…
Wow, I don't think any company is hiding who makes their cats. Seriously I don't think if you asked any of them they would intentionally be misleading. And honestly if your loosing your chilli over Canadian made cats you may as well sell your Canadian assembled camaro which BTW has Chinese made parts on it (just look under your shark fin, guaranteed it says made in China)

On another note: I suspect the money to manufacture cats in Canada is not the same as making them in China or Taiwan so saying that one is paying all this money for non US made stuff is really a moot point. I really think your trying to paint Kooks in a bad light when they clearly told apex where those cats were made without issue. I just don't get your apparent attack on said company....
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #307
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
Wow, I don't think any company is hiding who makes their cats. Seriously I don't think if you asked any of them they would intentionally be misleading. And honestly if your loosing your chilli over Canadian made cats you may as well sell your Canadian assembled camaro which BTW has Chinese made parts on it (just look under your shark fin, guaranteed it says made in China)

On another note: I suspect the money to manufacture cats in Canada is not the same as making them in China or Taiwan so saying that one is paying all this money for non US made stuff is really a moot point. I really think your trying to paint Kooks in a bad light when they clearly told apex where those cats were made without issue. I just don't get your apparent attack on said company....

Nope... not at all. You need to see my post #296... Seems like you caught the tail end? I already disclosed the fact that I was aware that the car was assembled in Canada, along with the fact that it has parts from Mexico & China, among other places for that matter. Actually, it doesn't bother me at all because I really like the car and could care less about what, where, who, and even why they made it the way they did. If I didn't like it, I simply would have bought something else.

Simply put, my point is this: "the Made in the USA argument is convenient at most"... I'm not trying to paint KOOKS in any light at all. I'm just stating the facts. And the fact of the matter is that the Headers are American Made, but the cats are not. As far as I am concerned, KOOKS product is no better than Texas Speed's Product... even though KOOKS is "supposed to be one of the best American Made Products". I personally think they are both great products! However, if I personally had to choose between the 2, I might likely take Texas Speed Headers & Cats... Not because of where they are made, but instead because they didn't flat out lie to me about their product; I appreciate the truth. (Perhaps if I was a big Vender who sold their product for them, KOOKS would have told me the truth too)?

If you see my other post, #297, you will see that I called Texas Speed and asked about their Cats; at that time I confirmed that they use Magnaflows... What I didn't disclose was the fact that I also called KOOKS and asked about their Product; they told me that they manufactured their Headers and Cats themselves, and that they were "made in the good ole' USA, unlike the cheap stuff". As far as I'm concerned, that's not only misleading; it's a flat out lie. And had my objective been to paint KOOKS negatively, I would have disclosed this from the beginning; instead, I simply asked a question without specifying that it was KOOKS...

In addition, I only questioned the origin of the Cats and Headers because I saw vendors BASHING the "Cheap Headers"... "the Cheap China 304 Headers"... etc. I think it's totally uncalled for. If a product is better, then it should be relative to performance... but don't try to validate your most expensive products by BASHING the origin of other products, simply because they cost less. For what it's worth, I don't have LT Headers or High Flow Cats... but I think its kinda silly that vendors and manufacturer reps want to label the less expensive product with words like "BUDGET HEADERS" etc... that have a negative connotation. As far as I'm concerned, Texas Speed is just as good as KOOKS? (It's my opinion)... However, if Texas Speed is gonna be labeled as "Budget Headers", in an attempt to IMPLY subconsciously that it's inferior, simply because of where they are made, even though the Cats are Magnaflow (USA), then perhaps KOOKS and some of the other "USA Leading Header Manufacturers" products need to be classified as "OVERPRICED HYBRID HEADERS NOT EXCLUSIVELY MADE IN THE USA"? It only makes since, that it should work both ways?

I'm just say... Keep it real!?! Because the truth of the matter is that there are happy customers with all of the header manufacutures, as well as some complaints. And in my opinion... I'm gonna be more concerned with the quality of my Cats than I am with the Tubing, since even the "so-called Budget Cheap Stuff" seems to be performing well. (According to the general consensus of forum post, concerning OBX, Speed Engineering, Texas Speed, ARH and KOOKS etc)...

I'm just trying to prevent this...
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #308
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
Preach it brother man
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works