BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
Conan is smarter and funnier than Leno.
Leno was a true Car Guy (thats enought to like him in my book), who knows what Conehead was... I never watched the tonight show after Leno left, but I always watched Leno's show at 10.

By the way Leno was forced into the 10 PM slot. NBC had promised Conan the tonight show after he had been on latenight for a certian number of years and if he didn't get the Tonight show he would be free to go somewhere else. So NBC said for Leno to retire or go to 10PM.. He took the 10PM slot. So all In all It was NBC's decision to move them around and it backfired on all counts and now they are paying the price..

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 01-25-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
It's all about the money!Always has been and always will be.Leno/Conan did not make any decisions.Coporations,contracts,revenue that is what it is all about.Bottom line who can make the most return on their investment.
Just TV you know.Even the rich have to have an income stream to support their extravagant life styles.They cannot walk away when ever they feel like it no more than you or I can!Bills to be paid you know.They dont give away the exotic cars for sure.
buzzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I don't think it was Leno's fault. I think Leno is overplaying the 'good-soldier' routine though- he could have walked as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens in September. If you remember some of the things Letterman had to say way back when, it kind of feels like he's been proven right.

Leno's skits just feel so tired and formula these days and his primetime show was borderline awful.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
SikMaro

Drives: 2004 CTS, Arrived! 2ss/rs ABM!
connan was horrible. his ratings were so bad compared to jay when he had the show. conan has a humor that only some love and a lot of others dont get. yes he is funny but its like watching a bad comedy, yes there is some funny parts but overall it wasnt that good. i'm glad jay is going back to late night.

1100 - 09-24-09 1st Step
3800 - Born 10-27-09
6000 - 11-11-09
SikMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #19
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I like both for various reasons. Leno does a better stand up / monologue, and better interview. Conan was funnier from an interactive / hang out perspective. I agree Leno should have kept the Tonight show, or actually retired. Conan was destined to fail with Leno on at prime time (not that Leno was better). People could watch a late show, and get to bed before the news....bonus all around. I respect Conan quite a bit more. I think Leno is caught in the middle, but should have had a bit more spine.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
The Tonight Show went from 1st to 3rd. bottom line. I'd like to know why that old fogey Letterman doesn't retire. He's like 3 years older than Jay or something. Probably worried if he quits he won't be able to pick up any young chicks.
Well i saw this a few weeks ago on some internet forums as soon as the rumors began. Conan's fans saying f--- jay, jay isn't funny, jay should retire. Conan has a couple fans so that means Jay should retire. Well i liked conan. i think he should have taken over at some point, but a whole lot of people watching jay couldn't figure out why he was being yanked off after being #1 for over a dozen years. And they didn't watch conan.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #21
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Conan's ratings were worst than Leno's but that was NBCs fault. If Carson would had moved one hour before Leno in his first year he would have bombed worse than Conan.

My .02 cents. I like both for what they bring to the table, but was never a big fan of late night talk shows.
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #22
Q's 91z28
TX INFERNO SS

Drives: 1991 Z28
Conan is by far the funniest of the three late night hosts. I've got nothing against Leno, but I do think he should have just called it quits and left NBC for good. I have a feeling that Letterman might be retireing soon and Conan may be in a position to take over...you never know ....Like me avatar says....I'm with COCO
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
MrIcky

Letterman's contract is up in 2012 and he'll be 65 and rumor mill says he'll retire.

Jay got yanked because of what happened between Jay and Letterman. Giving Jay and Conan an organized transition was an attempt to avoid that fiasco. And Jays primetime show was actually getting beat by cable shows. The local news agencies were threatening to preempt Jay's show because they lost viewership so fast following Jay.

I don't mean that anti-Jay, it's just the truth.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post
Conan's ratings were worst than Leno's but that was NBCs fault. If Carson would had moved one hour before Leno in his first year he would have bombed worse than Conan.

My .02 cents. I like both for what they bring to the table, but was never a big fan of late night talk shows.
could not agree more!
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #25
sugar'n'spice

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMaro View Post
connan was horrible. his ratings were so bad compared to jay when he had the show. conan has a humor that only some love and a lot of others dont get. yes he is funny but its like watching a bad comedy, yes there is some funny parts but overall it wasnt that good. I'm glad jay is going back to late night.
I totally agree with you! I was an avid Jay Leno watcher, but decided to give Conan a chance. After 3 shows I stopped watching. He is not funny
at all, his skits were too stupid for me, and I never got his monologues, they were not good at all.

We continued watching Jay Leno at 10 pm. It does bother me whether
he was at 10 pm or at 11:35 pm.

I read somewhere that Conan's people made a huge mistake when they
made their contract. Johnny Carson and Jay Leno made it specific that in their contracts that the 'Tonight show' will begin a t 11:35 pm.
Conan did not specify that at all, and that's why they tried to change it to 12:05 pm. All that failed!

Like they still say "It's business!"
sugar'n'spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #26
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Actually i think the reason Conan got out of the contract, and got paid Sugar, was that it said in his contract that The Tonight Show couldn't start after 12. That's why he had to agree to move.
you sound like my dad. he loves jay and doesn't like conan. he says conan is "juvenile". But he does like Jimmy Kimmel.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
sugar'n'spice

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
Actually i think the reason Conan got out of the contract, and got paid Sugar, was that it said in his contract that The Tonight Show couldn't start after 12. That's why he had to agree to move.
you sound like my dad. he loves jay and doesn't like conan. he says conan is "juvenile". But he does like Jimmy Kimmel.
I don't Jimmy Kimmel either, I thought he was a$$ on Jay's show!
Hey, I gave Conan a chance. But, I don't believe he delivered!

In any case I don't cry over any of them, look at all the money they make!

They are not crying at all either!
sugar'n'spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #28
MrIcky

I hadn't watched late-night for years until just this last week. So I don't know if he delivered or not lol. Last week was hysterical and I feel like I missed something. If I watched any latenight it was usually Craig Ferguson because my wife records him when he's got good guests. Frankly he's the best interviewer of any of them from what I've seen but his monologues are bizarre.

I don't feel sorry for any of them though. It will be interesting to see if Conan ends up at the same time slot as Jay and then we'll just see how things land.

It does seem like NBC makes some really wierd decisions though. They almost took Chuck off the air even though it was growing in audience because they wanted to put in more reality tv- which may not have as big of an audience but it's really cheap. They cut out all their 10 o'clock dramas and put in Jay because Jay was really cheap relatively speaking. Seems like they just want to be the Ford Pinto of networks.