Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #15
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVERL8TE View Post
Would you recommand only going with a stage 1 kit on this car?

j/k
At this point I have no opinion on any upgrade for this car, other than paying the $1.00 per additional passenger and rear seat...So what's your point???

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I read somewhere that it has 1023 Crank HP, and 840 WHEEL HP. That's right, 840 WHP with a warranty, could be wrong, but the person who wrote it attended the reveal. 2.3 second 0-60 is no joke, fastest stock thing on a tire for the most part. 4 drag radials and skinnies from the factory that are stored in the rear, giving you two spare tires when you go to the strip. It's clear what it's built for, straight line speed.
I think the skinnies come in the optional tool box...But that doesn't mean an owner can't purchase a set to throw in the trunk...

Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #17
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAndroid View Post
Its a street and strip car if you want the passenger seat dodge will offer it to you. Lets not begin the "hate" production like this is what we the consumer needs to keep the market alive and wake up the competition. 6 years ago we would of never imagine let alone see a super charged 650hp factory produced camaro and its here because the Hellcat shook the market and dodge is at it again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IMO it's just the opposite, the GT500 and ZL1 came before the Hellcat. Dodge just needs to get with the program and make a car that turns.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Although the numbers are impressive a ZL1 or ZL1-1LE/any Camaro can be modded/built for roughly $15,000.00 (and my number maybe high) to out perform the Demon straight line and I want even go into tracking it...This car is being produced as a one time statement collector...So if the numbers come out correctly a lot of people that buy into Dodge's concept will find that they got "reamed, dry" at the end of the day...I'm less than $12,000.00 away from my Demon killer, and there are already many members that the Demon does not want to see...To hell with it being a production unit...

Old 04-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #19
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Interesting to see them build such a narrow focus vehicle, especially after ending the Viper. Not my cup of tea, but it's certainly a cool car. Half of them will wind up in collector garages.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #20
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I'd take a 750hp Corvette over a 840hp Dodge ANY DAY and twice on Sunday. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get the 650hp ZL-1 to Demon levels.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #21
gmorris

Drives: 2015 ZL1, Red Hot A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVERL8TE View Post
Would you recommand only going with a stage 1 kit on this car?

j/k
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #22
JakeW1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
IMO it's just the opposite, the GT500 and ZL1 came before the Hellcat. Dodge just needs to get with the program and make a car that turns.
Dodge actually has the best turning car out there, it's called a Viper. I stopped count at like 13 track records broken from a factory production car, completely stock, that outdid every super car in a few years of production. If you don't believe that, well a quick search will change your mind.

I hate how all the challengers look so I would never own one, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Dodge has made 2 different vehicles that absolutely dominate two facets of racing: 1 in a straight line and another with turns. The technology offered in this car is amazing. It's one of the heaviest cars that will go down a strip, yet the powertrain and drivetrain move the vehicle seamlessly.

Nut huggers are gonna say this and that for whichever brand they think rules the world, but in the end, stock to stock, the Demon beats you in a straight line and the Viper beats you on the track. There's no way around it without extensive modifications to horsepower and suspension without spending around 600k-1M+ USD.

Dodge does not receive the credit it deserves because their top-line cars require you to either not be lazy and actually have made something of yourself so you can afford it or put yourself in a terrible debt-income situation that you will not live comfortable in without sacrificing... pretty much everything but food/water/shelter.

Hating on something you can't afford doesn't validate your hate speech. Lol.

Either way, glad to see American muscle dominating the playing field, whether at the taillights of another or not. #'merica

Engine: BTR Stage 4 Cam; BTR Dual Spring Kit; C7R Chain; LS2 Tensioner; High Volume Oil Pump
Drivetrain: ACT T2S-G05 x2 Disc XT Street Kit
Exhaust: Kook's 1 7/8" Headers w/ Off-road pipes;Kook's 3" cat-back; QTP 3" cut-outs
Suspension: BMR 1.4" Front & 1.5" Rear Springs; Blackdog Solid Mounts w/ Poly Bushings
JakeW1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #23
LordAndroid

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW1990 View Post
Dodge actually has the best turning car out there, it's called a Viper. I stopped count at like 13 track records broken from a factory production car, completely stock, that outdid every super car in a few years of production. If you don't believe that, well a quick search will change your mind.

I hate how all the challengers look so I would never own one, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Dodge has made 2 different vehicles that absolutely dominate two facets of racing: 1 in a straight line and another with turns. The technology offered in this car is amazing. It's one of the heaviest cars that will go down a strip, yet the powertrain and drivetrain move the vehicle seamlessly.

Nut huggers are gonna say this and that for whichever brand they think rules the world, but in the end, stock to stock, the Demon beats you in a straight line and the Viper beats you on the track. There's no way around it without extensive modifications to horsepower and suspension without spending around 600k-1M+ USD.

Dodge does not receive the credit it deserves because their top-line cars require you to either not be lazy and actually have made something of yourself so you can afford it or put yourself in a terrible debt-income situation that you will not live comfortable in without sacrificing... pretty much everything but food/water/shelter.

Either way, glad to see American muscle dominating the playing field, whether at the taillights of another or not. #'merica
Very well said i agree with you and im a chevy guy first and a dodge guy second. I traded my modded SRT8 charger for my 13ZL1 back in 13. Dodge shook up the market again just when we thought we wouldn't see anything beyond a Hellcat. Dodge surprised everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
LordAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #24
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:

Yes and no.

Yes, Dodge does build one of the fastest track cars period...

Yes, Dodge does build one of (And now the) fastest straight line cars period...

But what do both have in common?

They both SUCK at anything else other than just that (ACR for turn, Hellcat/Demons for straights).

The "triple threat" is an amazing feat, and no one has grasped it yet besides Chevy. THAT'S what costs money in research and development. THAT is what's hard to encompass in a car. A car that handles like a Porsche GT3, goes like a streak of you-know-what, and is comfortable, but engaging to drive in all situations.

So yes, it's all great in all that the ACR (By the way, saying VIPER doesn't mean shit without saying ACR after it, because the non-ACR vipers are nothing special ESPECIALLY the first and 2nd gen which were trash cars that did nothing but scare people), anyways it's all great that the ACR is fast(er) than hyper cars, but on the road or at the strip, or for comfort, it sucks. Motor Trend hated the car, as did a lot of other magazines, when not on the track. How many owners are going to be exclusively tracking the car? And how many are going to drive a sub-par car in comfort and steetable-ness (By the way the ACR looks ridiculous)? Once again, Dodge created a fast car that doesn't really matter, just like the Demon explained in my first post, where it's so rare and unusable in any other situation that it becomes irrelevant in the real world. But it sure does give the fan boy, keyboard warrior plenty to TALK about all over the place.

And yes, it's all great that the Hellcat can rip in a straight line, stock and modded. But it sucks in the turns, it's practically a boat for the road, I drove 2 hellcats now, no doubt good A8 trans and plenty of power, but damn in the turns, the weight sloshes over to the side like an old cast iron bathtub full of water. So yeah.

Like I said, yes and no to your argument. Fan boying for ANY brand over another is never good, and that's not what I'm trying to do here, I'm just giving you logical facts as to why your argument is some true but with many caveats.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #25
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
What's intolerable on the road for some is fine with others. It could be argued the Z/28 is a single focus machine, not much good at anything else.

The problem with trying to make a car good on the road course, good at the drags, and good on the street - is it will always be a compromised machine. It can be done, but it will be good at all of them, not necessarily great. The closer you try to get to greatness in all categories, the costs skyrocket, and you most likely wind up with a car that you keep in the garage 90% of the time anyway because most people don't daily drive cars like that.

I dunno, I'd rather have 3 or 4 minimally compromised vehicles that are very good at a specific task, and tolerable for the rest, than a so-called jack of all trades. Historically, and the path I'm on now, I always wind up with a decent car, and modify it to be more line with what I want to do with it, which inevitably makes the car worse for everything else.

The 1LE...it's a decent-good car, but not "great" at any one thing. I won't drag it (don't care about drag anyway) because I don't want to break it. It's fine on the street in stock form, but needs upgrades to "get there" on the road course. Track friendly brakes? Noise and dust on the street. Improved track oriented suspension? Less comfort on the street (and worse at drag). If I wanted to be a drag racer, well I'd have to modify it for that, and then it would be crap on a road course and so-so on the street. i guess what I really need is a F1 car for the track. Haha.

I like to see focused machines from mfg's, whether or not I'm into what they do.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #26
JakeW1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Yes and no.

Yes, Dodge does build one of the fastest track cars period...

Yes, Dodge does build one of (And now the) fastest straight line cars period...

But what do both have in common?

They both SUCK at anything else other than just that (ACR for turn, Hellcat/Demons for straights).

The "triple threat" is an amazing feat, and no one has grasped it yet besides Chevy. THAT'S what costs money in research and development. THAT is what's hard to encompass in a car. A car that handles like a Porsche GT3, goes like a streak of you-know-what, and is comfortable, but engaging to drive in all situations.

So yes, it's all great in all that the ACR (By the way, saying VIPER doesn't mean shit without saying ACR after it, because the non-ACR vipers are nothing special ESPECIALLY the first and 2nd gen which were trash cars that did nothing but scare people), anyways it's all great that the ACR is fast(er) than hyper cars, but on the road or at the strip, or for comfort, it sucks. Motor Trend hated the car, as did a lot of other magazines, when not on the track. How many owners are going to be exclusively tracking the car? And how many are going to drive a sub-par car in comfort and steetable-ness (By the way the ACR looks ridiculous)? Once again, Dodge created a fast car that doesn't really matter, just like the Demon explained in my first post, where it's so rare and unusable in any other situation that it becomes irrelevant in the real world. But it sure does give the fan boy, keyboard warrior plenty to TALK about all over the place.

And yes, it's all great that the Hellcat can rip in a straight line, stock and modded. But it sucks in the turns, it's practically a boat for the road, I drove 2 hellcats now, no doubt good A8 trans and plenty of power, but damn in the turns, the weight sloshes over to the side like an old cast iron bathtub full of water. So yeah.

Like I said, yes and no to your argument. Fan boying for ANY brand over another is never good, and that's not what I'm trying to do here, I'm just giving you logical facts as to why your argument is some true but with many caveats.
I daily a 2016 Charger R/T which is missing all the bells and whistles when it comes to the suspension, but I didn't buy that car to go flying around turns. It is not a 1+ G car nor is it intended to be. I bought it to be reliable and to get up and go if I needed to merge or pass and it does it flawlessly. I agree, they aren't cornering machines, but they AREN'T track vehicles, they are for typical travel.

I kinda differ on the Viper not being more than a track car though. It may not be as comfortable to some in the cabin, but that's what you get for a car with super stiff suspensions with crazy skid pad results. If it was soft, it'd break free early like non track vehicles. But, 0-60 in 3.2-3 seconds and 1/4 mile of 11.4-5 is by no means useless at a dragstrip. That's stock, no slicks/radials, and naturally aspirated. Oh yeah, and only 650 base HP. Give me! Lol

I'm hoping to have my Charger sold soon as I'm looking at getting a 2012 ZL1 with 2k miles. Gotta love some blown LS stuff!

Engine: BTR Stage 4 Cam; BTR Dual Spring Kit; C7R Chain; LS2 Tensioner; High Volume Oil Pump
Drivetrain: ACT T2S-G05 x2 Disc XT Street Kit
Exhaust: Kook's 1 7/8" Headers w/ Off-road pipes;Kook's 3" cat-back; QTP 3" cut-outs
Suspension: BMR 1.4" Front & 1.5" Rear Springs; Blackdog Solid Mounts w/ Poly Bushings
JakeW1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #27
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Dodge did not want to build a car that turns. People are buying these cars. There are two Hellcats in La Junta Co. Population 6,000 and yes there are two Hellcats. Old guys that have never been on a road course. Everyone in town loves them. I get asked pretty often why I did not buy a Hellcat. Simple.... I want to turn corners.

Dodge is still doing it right. Pretty much every soccer mom, parking attendant and human on earth knows what a Hellcat is. Dodges marking team is flat killing it. I hate Dodge but I would own that Demon in a second. I would love to have it sitting next to my Z28 for drag racing.

I think the Camaro should have been built for drag and the corvette built for road.
Hopefully this will shack it up and GM will build a drag version.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #28
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:

x2

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote