Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlForsyth View Post
personally i wouldn't put the oem GY's back on mine if they were free. Picks up every rock and breaks loose as soon as the boost comes in. Switched to MPSS's w/ the 315 on the rear and it dead hooked before my lastest mods. Now it will to break loose at full boost but not anything like the GYs did when stock. The Michelins don't pick up and sling as much crap.

However...my approach was pay the money for the Michelins thinking they'd last 3x's as long as a DR. When i was under it wiring in the Forza controller i noticed the rears are twice as worn as the front...so they're no miracle tire for wear. The only time they get abuse is when they break loose at speed. I have yet to dump the clutch on the Michelins.

So if they stick to the road they're going to wear no matter how much you pay. But the MPSS is 10x's the tire that the GY is. If nothing else the GY's are suicidal on the road when its cold. Michelins have been just fine thus far this winter.
======================

+1 For Sure
Old 12-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #16
BigAlForsyth

Drives: 2012 ZL1 AGM, LLY Duramax,93formula
Follow up: put my MPSS's on at 11k. Car has 16k on it now and rears are half gone, fronts look like new. Again, no burnouts or track days.

Forgot to mention that i was invited to the Michelin Proving Grounds when the new MPSS came out. Put in a C6 w/ GY and a C6 with MPSS and didn't know which tire i had. Let's just say i hammered the AX course w/ the MPSS. Instructor said "now drive it just like you did last time". So i did and i spun the car in the 4th turn...and then found out the second C6 was on the GYs.
1993 Pontiac Firebird "Thunderchicken"
BigAlForsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #17
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
I wish the MPSS tires came in the stock size...
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #18
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The Goodyear is THE better road coarse tire on a dry track day but the MSS is the better daily driver and wet track day/auto cross tire but they both are max summer tires and they will not last as long as a comparable touring tire.

I run the MSS on my daily driver rims but I also have a set of Goodyear's on my track rims because once they heat up they are predictable and stick like glue all day long while the MSS once they get a little too much heat they tend to get greasy and you hear them protesting.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #19
BigAlForsyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
I wish the MPSS tires came in the stock size...
10mm can hardly be noticed by the human eye...so the 315/35-20 MPSS looks absolutely stock and not rub, so its a win win!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #20
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
10mm can hardly be noticed by the human eye...so the 315/35-20 MPSS looks absolutely stock and not rub, so its a win win!
I can definitely tell the difference. It's a shame cause I like the idea I just don't like the way it looks. Maybe someday they'll come out with 305's.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #21
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
This.

Quote:
I can definitely tell the difference. It's a shame cause I like the idea I just don't like the way it looks. Maybe someday they'll come out with 305's.
Ok you may be the first person I know complaining of wider tires.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:04 AM   #22
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
This.

Ok you may be the first person I know complaining of wider tires.
Wider is fine, bit the amount showing between the rim and the ground will not match the front and looks terrible. Sorry, just calling it like I see it. Give me a stock size rear tire and I'd be all over these.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #23
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Wider is fine, bit the amount showing between the rim and the ground will not match the front and looks terrible. Sorry, just calling it like I see it. Give me a stock size rear tire and I'd be all over these.
The sidewall? Or the extra width of the tire that might "squish" out more and give a fuller looking wheel and tire?

90% of modern muscle and non-wide Corvettes (stingray, base model C6, C5 Z06) use 305/35/20 when they're stock, but then end up moving to the 315 once they go through the first set. Almost nobody manufacturers the 305/35/20, but tons make the 315/35/20 or 315/30/20 (R888) that fits and looks better. The car SHOULD have 315s from the factory. If you look at our stock rim specs, they're identical to "perfect match" for a 315/35/20.

If I look at my rear tire, currently the stock 305 F1s, the tire is split out, meaning I don't think the tire is actually wide enough for the rim. Kind of like those guys with trucks that do this:
Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #24
BigAlForsyth

Wider is fine, bit the amount showing between the rim and the ground will not match the front and looks terrible. Sorry, just calling it like I see it. Give me a stock size rear tire and I'd be all over these.[/QUOTE]

OK so here's what you're calling terrible. These are 315 michelins on the rear. Do you understand that the factory 305/35-20 GY is 28.4" tall and the Michelin 315/35-20 is 28.7" tall. There's absolutely no way its visibly different. Remember you have to divide that 3/10th of ONE inch in half to judge sidewall. That means the 1.5/10 of one inch difference.

Buy the Michelins!

now on my firebird...yeah there's a clear difference. Front is 26" and rear is 28". I see your theory there. However even at 2" in difference (divide by 2 so 1" more sidewall) its not terrible.

Last edited by BigAlForsyth; 12-22-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #25
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Haven't run anything but the GY on my 1LE. I'm getting around 9-10k out of a set of tires and I DD my car. I like them, when it's hot they stick incredibly well but they will pick up EVERYTHING off the road and throw it back. Even when doing some spirited back road driving in 34 degree weather they managed fairly well and only broke free once when I got a little overzealous with the loud pedal. I have driven them through one full winter, and this will be winter 2 and so long as you drive like a normal person I haven't had any suicidal moments with them. That being said, once the spare set I have waiting in my garage is gone I will probably go with the BFGs simple because they are cheaper, last longer, and perform adequately enough for my DD driving, unless I manage to pick up another set of GY takeoffs.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #26
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Haven't run anything but the GY on my 1LE. I'm getting around 9-10k out of a set of tires and I DD my car. I like them, when it's hot they stick incredibly well but they will pick up EVERYTHING off the road and throw it back. Even when doing some spirited back road driving in 34 degree weather they managed fairly well and only broke free once when I got a little overzealous with the loud pedal. I have driven them through one full winter, and this will be winter 2 and so long as you drive like a normal person I haven't had any suicidal moments with them. That being said, once the spare set I have waiting in my garage is gone I will probably go with the BFGs simple because they are cheaper, last longer, and perform adequately enough for my DD driving, unless I manage to pick up another set of GY takeoffs.

Are you crazy?

I drove my ZL1 a few weeks ago in 40 degree weather with the Good years and I spun 3rd gear from the hit at 3500 RPM until I let off. It would easily chirp every shift and was freaking scary to drive in first gear, it would fishtail at the thought of 2500 RPM in 1st gear. Mine have 3700 miles on them. They're absolutely awful, if I planned on keeping this car they'd definitely be coming off asap. I can't speak to track performance or once they've gotten a burnout but I can speak to everything else. 1st and 2nd gear spin in 80 degree weather and I'm stock.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #27
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Are you crazy?

I drove my ZL1 a few weeks ago in 40 degree weather with the Good years and I spun 3rd gear from the hit at 3500 RPM until I let off. It would easily chirp every shift and was freaking scary to drive in first gear, it would fishtail at the thought of 2500 RPM in 1st gear. Mine have 3700 miles on them. They're absolutely awful, if I planned on keeping this car they'd definitely be coming off asap. I can't speak to track performance or once they've gotten a burnout but I can speak to everything else. 1st and 2nd gear spin in 80 degree weather and I'm stock.
Oh don't get me wrong. I can spin them in first and second when it's warm if I try, and when it's cold it's world's easier. I dropped into 3 at 70 and jumped on it and they broke free. All I'm saying is I can drive mine in low 30's safely. Add rain and low 30s yeah it gets interesting, but dry is doable. I'm also in Texas, so while the air may be 34 the roadway is still in the 40s.

Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #28
70T/A400

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Besides the stock sized all season BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S 285/35/20 front and 305/35/20 rear you can also try the Max Performance Summer Continental Extreme Contact DW but in a square set-up of 275/40/20 front and 315/35/20 rear.
70T/A400 is offline   Reply With Quote