Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #15
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Ordering cycles begin almost every Thursday but not every Thursday. Some skips are understandable (during the winter break for example) and some occur at the beginning of a model year, but overall, just about every Thursday thru Tuesday. The cycle opens on Thursday when dealers are told how many of each line they can order and any applicable constraints and end the following Tuesday.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Ordering cycles begin almost every Thursday but not every Thursday. Some skips are understandable (during the winter break for example) and some occur at the beginning of a model year, but overall, just about every Thursday thru Tuesday. The cycle opens on Thursday when dealers are told how many of each line they can order and any applicable constraints and end the following Tuesday.

Laborsmith
So 5/17 right? Which would be the 3rd Tuesday after the '17 order banks opened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
laborsmith

Or 5/24 as I am thinking there will be two weeks in between the first cycle and the second, but you get the idea. If regular production starts June 6 then three weeks of production will be in place when the two week summer break occurs. By history quality review will be ongoing even though production is stopped, so early shipments would start at the end of July or the beginning of August.

Laborsmith
Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Or 5/24 as I am thinking there will be two weeks in between the first cycle and the second, but you get the idea. If regular production starts June 6 then three weeks of production will be in place when the two week summer break occurs. By history quality review will be ongoing even though production is stopped, so early shipments would start at the end of July or the beginning of August.

Laborsmith
Much appreciated sir. Looks like I'll be talking to dealers next week.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
If I were interested in taking delivery March/April of 2017, when would I want to place the order? January?
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #20
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Quote:
A very small per cent of Camaros are SRE (customer) orders. The last 2016 order cycle has been known for at least a few weeks and the first date for the beginning of the 2017s has been known for at least two weeks. Each vehicle line has its own dates, and even I, who pays attention to only two Chevrolet vehicle lines, have trouble remembering.

So the dates are not secret. But I do question the intentions of those dealers taking SRE orders at the close of a model year ordering cycle and not cautioning their would be customers that there was a likelihood the order would die in place.

It does look like the June 6 start date will hold true, and that was posted in this forum several weeks ago.

Laborsmith
Where do you guys find this info? Doesn't seem to be readily available. Had I not joined this forum and relied on the dealer I'd really be in the dark...
greg72982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #21
laborsmith

A variety of sources, which are not always but often are accurate . For example both Donlen and Arifleet show regular production to start on June 6 but both also still show both the 2016 order bank closing and the 2017 order bank opening at the end of March even though those events actually happened at the end of April.

Laborsmith
Old 04-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #22
greg72982

Quote:
A variety of sources, which are not always but often are accurate . For example both Donlen and Arifleet show regular production to start on June 6 but both also still show both the 2016 order bank closing and the 2017 order bank opening at the end of March even though those events actually happened at the end of April.

Laborsmith
I guess that's kind of what I mean, why I can't I just go to Chevy's site and find this stuff? I don't mean to pick on just Chevrolet though, other car companies may be this way too.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #23
laborsmith

In case this is not a rhetorical question, and given I do not know the actual answer, I suspect retail sold orders are not high on the corporate priority lists and GM takes the opinion a potential retail sold customer needs to be working with a franchised dealership anyways so sees no need to post such info.

Corvette (and to a much lessor extent Camaro) induces a lot of custom orders and the various Corvette forums do a pretty good job at making ordering info accessible. I also think this forum does an equally good job. Even though the original March dates were inaccurate they did indicate 2016 Camaro production would be shortened compared to "normal" model years. Although I am coming to the belief that a "normal" production year is an exception more than a rule.

The official Chevrolet site is a marketing tool and mass auto retail is oriented to selling what is at hand and not to selling what may be. Ferrari marketing seems to be oriented to selling what might be but I do not recall it has ever sold as many as 10,000 units in a model year, all versions combined, including their less expensive versions.

Laborsmith
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #24
greg72982

Quote:
In case this is not a rhetorical question, and given I do not know the actual answer, I suspect retail sold orders are not high on the corporate priority lists and GM takes the opinion a potential retail sold customer needs to be working with a franchised dealership anyways so sees no need to post such info.

Corvette (and to a much lessor extent Camaro) induces a lot of custom orders and the various Corvette forums do a pretty good job at making ordering info accessible. I also think this forum does an equally good job. Even though the original March dates were inaccurate they did indicate 2016 Camaro production would be shortened compared to "normal" model years. Although I am coming to the belief that a "normal" production year is an exception more than a rule.

The official Chevrolet site is a marketing tool and mass auto retail is oriented to selling what is at hand and not to selling what may be. Ferrari marketing seems to be oriented to selling what might be but I do not recall it has ever sold as many as 10,000 units in a model year, all versions combined, including their less expensive versions.

Laborsmith
It was sort of rhetorical. That makes sense about the website I guess but what did people do before forums? Maybe it was just the dealer I am dealing with but they didn't know any of this stuff.

Ah well not trying to sound like a complainer just something I was pondering...
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #25
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
It was sort of rhetorical. That makes sense about the website I guess but what did people do before forums? Maybe it was just the dealer I am dealing with but they didn't know any of this stuff.

Dealers (of all brand dealers) can find out 99.999% of anything customers ask them. If they say they can't they are lying, lazy or a combination of the two. We have ordered cars from almost a dozen US as well as internationally based car makers and chevy is by far the worst with communication in our experience with jeep a very close second.

We ordered a '12 brz in mid 2011 and a '15 sti at the beginning of 2014. We had constant uninitiated feedback on every step of the process for both orders. Mind you the fukushima meltdown happened in march of '11 and our car was very delayed but we were never left out of the loop. When people started cancelling orders the dealer actually got us a spot further up the line for sticking it out with them. We didn't know that until we got a phone call a month ahead of the expected production date saying the car was on the line being built. Not once did we have to call, email etc. So when the wife sold the brz we went back and placed another order with them because they earned it. Our mini cooper order in 2009 was met with a huge round of layoff's in the UK delaying that car. The dealership never dropped the ball, staying on top of the situation and we ended up with our order on time.

Some dealerships are just shadier than others. For instance over the past week I've seen people on here shocked to find out they could no long order a 2016. Some had even placed orders for those cars and found out here there was zero way they would get said car built. That is just some of the BS that proves my point.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #26
laborsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post

I both telephoned and dropped in. My memory is my dealer back then got updates by teletype, but that is going back over forty years so may be wrong.

I agree Chevrolet could be more open about order and production stop/start dates.

Laborsmith
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #27
fsusmithc2
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 50th Anniversary
Quote:

Laborsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Much appreciated sir. Looks like I'll be talking to dealers next week.
So that puts today as the last day of order cycle 1 then and we're guessing cycle 3 to run from potentially 5/19 to 5/24? Regardless, we seem pretty sure that the third cycle ends after the 15th, which is when I'll know better how above water I am after dumping almost $1300 to fix the Camaro I have now.

I'm itching to contact Becky and set something up. I just don't know how much of a pain doing a remote sale really is, especially with a trade. I might shoot my local dealership an email just to see if they even know what the word allocation means.
Current: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary (#350)- 12.22 @ 115mph
- MX0 8-speed automatic, CF5 power sunroof

Former: 2012 1LT/RS A6 - 14.11 @ 99.75mph

Order: TMFF65
1100 - 5/19/16 | 2000 - 5/26/16 | 3000 - 6/1/16
3100 - 6/6/16 (TPW 6/20) | 3300 - 6/9/16
3400 - 6/10/16 | 4200 - 6/23/16 | 4300 - 6/28/16
5000 - 6/30/16 | 6000 - 7/1/16

Club F1FTY
fsusmithc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #28
DBNSSNH

Drives: 2017 2SS, HyperBlue, NPP, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsusmithc2 View Post
So that puts today as the last day of order cycle 1 then and we're guessing cycle 3 to run from potentially 5/19 to 5/24? Regardless, we seem pretty sure that the third cycle ends after the 15th, which is when I'll know better how above water I am after dumping almost $1300 to fix the Camaro I have now.

I'm itching to contact Becky and set something up. I just don't know how much of a pain doing a remote sale really is, especially with a trade. I might shoot my local dealership an email just to see if they even know what the word allocation means.
You wont know unless you ask..what would it hurt to know all of your options?. Becky is great and will be upfront and honest.
DBNSSNH is offline   Reply With Quote