Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
The first thing I would check is to see if they might have loosened one of the o2 connections. Maybe moved a wire, or unplugged one for the trans fluid change. These things can happen.

I'll go back and have them check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I honestly can't see how what you describe they did as causing that code. unless, they had to do soming with the O2 sensors to perform the transmission fluid change. It could be one of the rear O2 sensors. It will probably come back. That code usually doesn't self correct. Did they put the car back on the lift when you took it back to check the connections at the O2 sensors? Any good dealer would have at least had a look around when something like that happens.

I honestly don't know if they put the car back on the lift because I went back inside with the service advisor after they took my car back in the shop. But only took them like 5 minutes to take my car back in the shop and come back out to say it's not their fault, so I doubt they put it back on the lift, but I am going back on Monday to have them check it again.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #17
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
I don't buy coincidence, imo.

Same here man. Not in this situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
It is a problem when you take it too emissions or try to use the remote start.

Exactly, and I sure use remote start all the time to warm up my car before leaving anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
First thing I would do would be to check the oil level. If that checks out I'd look under the car to see if they may have lifted the car on an exhaust component. While this may be a coincidence, I'm with the OP that getting the code right after they work on the car does seem to be a mechanic foul up.

I once got new tires and immediately after starting to move noticed a noise in the front. Seems that the right front wheel had only 1 lug nut on hand tight.

Checked the oil level the same day and it was fine. Going back to have them recheck the car. I understand coincidences, but not in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Yes and no. The 0420 code is based upon data sent from the upstream sensor compared to the downstream sensor. The ECU will compare these, if they are too similar, it will throw the code. An o2 sensor can be damaged, or improperly connected where it could send false data.

Someone mentioned an exhaust leak, which is a possibility, either at the manifold or the connection to the mid pipe.

Also keep in mind that the OP has a DI engine. He didn't mention the mileage, but higher mileage valve coking and PCV issues could at play here as well. Why right after the mentioned services is a mystery, but anything's possible.

However, if it actually is the converter itself, I believe it should still be covered under the emission warranty. If it were me though, the first thing I would do is get under it and check all the connections, listen for exhaust leaks, and check vacuum hoses and connections. If all of that checked out, I might go to a different dealer that has no dog in the fight and have them check it out. If it turns out that something the first dealer did caused it, I would be armed with this info and go back to the first dealer.

I'm out of warranty at 104,xxx miles currently. Mostly highway miles from traveling back and forth to Arizona and California a lot. But I'm going back to the dealer on Monday to check it out.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I had a car I liked very much, a '97 Riviera. One day while I was stopped just before a rotary (traffic circle), waiting for a break in traffic to enter, a van plowed into me from behind.

Every light on the dash was on following the hit, every single one. Security, high beams, Check Engine, washer fluid low, charging system, e-brake, high temp, garage door opener, you name it, if it had a bulb it was illuminated.

I had quite an argument with my insurance company about that: they declined to pay for that fix. They told me it was not possible that this was caused by the impact. A coincidence, they said. I started feeling that I was talking to an idiot. I asked her to do me a favor: Describe to me why that cannot happen. She said, 'the car was not hit near those electronics'.

"Really?" I said. "Interesting. Throw your computer out the window and then tell me if it works. It should right? The circuit boards weren't hit."

Long story short, the impact in the back had made a wire bundle come loose under the hood, and it was just long enough to have some wires hang down to an exhaust manifold.

I'm not saying the OP's shop did anything wrong. I'm saying that 1) coincidences are pretty rare even though they do happen, and 2) cars can do some odd things, and it is not in the shop's best interest to conduct an exhaustive investigation to find out if they were actually at fault or not.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #19
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
The cat efficiency dtc couldn't be caused by any of the services you listed. It can't be a disconnected o2 either, those would be a circuit dtc. If you did an injector service or another chemical that the engine has to pass through the cylinder while running it's possible that set the dtc.

I did the fuel injector service back in October or November and the car was running perfectly since I got that service done. I say it ran even noticeably better after doing that service. Everything felt so much smoother with the car and no CEL. Going back to the dealer on Monday to have them check out my car again.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I had a car I liked very much, a '97 Riviera. One day while I was stopped just before a rotary (traffic circle), waiting for a break in traffic to enter, a van plowed into me from behind.

Every light on the dash was on following the hit, every single one. Security, high beams, Check Engine, washer fluid low, charging system, e-brake, high temp, garage door opener, you name it, if it had a bulb it was illuminated.

I had quite an argument with my insurance company about that: they declined to pay for that fix. They told me it was not possible that this was caused by the impact. A coincidence, they said. I started feeling that I was talking to an idiot. I asked her to do me a favor: Describe to me why that cannot happen. She said, 'the car was not hit near those electronics'.

"Really?" I said. "Interesting. Throw your computer out the window and then tell me if it works. It should right? The circuit boards weren't hit."

Long story short, the impact in the back had made a wire bundle come loose under the hood, and it was just long enough to have some wires hang down to an exhaust manifold.

I'm not saying the OP's shop did anything wrong. I'm saying that 1) coincidences are pretty rare even though they do happen, and 2) cars can do some odd things, and it is not in the shop's best interest to conduct an exhaustive investigation to find out if they were actually at fault or not.

wow, crappy situation you had there and feel your pain. Perfect analogy too. Going back to the dealer on Monday and will see what happens.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #21
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Service department is trying to blow you off. Obviously, they did something to cause that. Do you have a record of the mileage of the service and the mileage of the code? Make a note of it and keep bugging them until every other possibility is exhausted.

And as was suggested above, try another dealer or an independent for a second opinion.

JMHO
Old 02-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #22
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
In 5 minutes, they didnt put it on the lift.

Theyre not trying to blow off OP. o2 sensor codes are not a big deal. If OP wants to clear it himself without a tech2, just unplug the battery w/ the headlights on for a little bit. If the code keeps coming back, then bring it in.

If you go into the stealership and tell them, "look, i've reset the code and it comes back a million times since this maintenance" then they'll give you the time of day.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Service department is trying to blow you off. Obviously, they did something to cause that. Do you have a record of the mileage of the service and the mileage of the code? Make a note of it and keep bugging them until every other possibility is exhausted.

And as was suggested above, try another dealer or an independent for a second opinion.

JMHO

Yes I have the mileage of the service and mileage when CEL turned on. I will be going in on Monday and will talk to my service advisor about it. I always go with this 1 service advisor every time I go in for oil changes / maintenance work. If he doesn't try to work things out with me then I'm going to ask to speak to the manager. I will also try getting a second opinion as well if he doesn't try working things out first.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #24
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
In 5 minutes, they didnt put it on the lift.

Theyre not trying to blow off OP. o2 sensor codes are not a big deal. If OP wants to clear it himself without a tech2, just unplug the battery w/ the headlights on for a little bit. If the code keeps coming back, then bring it in.

If you go into the stealership and tell them, "look, i've reset the code and it comes back a million times since this maintenance" then they'll give you the time of day.

It's the fact that I paid almost $500 for these services to get done and another issue happened during the process which they don't want to own up to. Sure you could say I could complete my own maintenance stuff, but I'm just not savvy when it comes to car work. I don't mind paying as long as the work gets done right and that's just the way my situation is. If you can do your own work to your car then props to you. It's a big deal if they caused the issue as well as if I need to pass emissions. I also didn't pay for the 2LT model for the remote start not to work. Will just see how it goes and will keep this thread updated.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #25
ocautomotive

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2018 SS 1LE
If they say no, I always say I will call Corporate. One time, I told them not to wash my car, they washed it and of course there was scratches all over it. He tried to tell me they were there before and they have proffesional detailers working in the back and they would never do that. I walked back there and it turns out it that some young kid drives your car through a dirty automatic car wash to get it washed. After I told the manager and made him realize that he lied, and also told him that i will call corporate, he told me they can detail my car. I said no, I dont want you guys doing it and i ended up taking my car to a good detailer and they paid the bill.
ocautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #26
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
Yes I have the mileage of the service and mileage when CEL turned on. I will be going in on Monday and will talk to my service advisor about it. I always go with this 1 service advisor every time I go in for oil changes / maintenance work. If he doesn't try to work things out with me then I'm going to ask to speak to the manager. I will also try getting a second opinion as well if he doesn't try working things out first.

That's good you have a regular guy. Last thing they want is to piss off a good customer. What they fear most is that you take it to the next level, and it makes waves in their superiors offices.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #27
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocautomotive View Post
If they say no, I always say I will call Corporate. One time, I told them not to wash my car, they washed it and of course there was scratches all over it. He tried to tell me they were there before and they have proffesional detailers working in the back and they would never do that. I walked back there and it turns out it that some young kid drives your car through a dirty automatic car wash to get it washed. After I told the manager and made him realize that he lied, and also told him that i will call corporate, he told me they can detail my car. I said no, I dont want you guys doing it and i ended up taking my car to a good detailer and they paid the bill.

I feel your pain. I always say no to the included car washes too because I've seen how the cars are washed and I don't approve as well. They do go through those automated machines that scratch and swirl your car. But good idea on calling corporate if they don't want to work things out with me. Glad they worked things out with you. Will see how it goes on my end.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #28
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
OP, I doubt it's a coincidence too. Could have been anything, even just bumping an O2 sensor with a wrench could do it, I've read where those things can be sensitive. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
Yesterday, I went to take my car in for a coolant change (5 year service), transmission fluid change (100K mile service), and oil change (every 3,000 miles service). Just 3 miles or so after leaving the dealership, the CEL comes on. I immediately go back to the dealership and tell them to check it out. The car came back with code P0420 for Catalyst Converter which is unrelated to the services they did and just called it a "coincidence" and they say it's not their fault. More like a shady coincidence if you ask me. I baby this car with pages of maintenance. Never ever seen the CEL come on during the life of the car from brand new till now. Car was running perfectly before taking it in. They cleared the code and told me to see if it comes back on and it came back on today. The car is bone stock performance wise. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it's just crazy that this happens immediately after getting these services done. Almost like I paid almost $500 to break my car. Any opinions or thoughts if the services performed can in any way interfere / relate with the P0420 code I'm getting? Thanks