Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #15
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
So, in hundreds of thousands Camaro V8's how many oil pump failures have there been?
Well his happened 2 days ago, and mine did yesterday....
Old 12-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #16
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Did you not know about the pump failure before purchasing? Before I buy a car, I always look into the known issues and fixes, etc. Or did you just see a shiny car and go home with it?

It's a good time to upgrade. As Bo said, oil pump, cam, timing set, etc. You'll love your car even more.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
If I had to guess, they would NOT want to shut the motor off immediately because you would lose all power accessories. You lose the motor at 60mph, you have no power brakes and no power steering.
What's the difference? A motor blowing up at 60 will have the same , but cause you a lot more issues. Face it, who stares at their oil pressure gauge while rooling down the highway.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
So, in hundreds of thousands Camaro V8's how many oil pump failures have there been?
I don't know the numbers, but I can you tell from being on this forum since 09 that it's too many for such a cridical part. Ive been doing refrigeration for more than 25 years and have worked on thousands of commercial compressors. I can count on one hand how many pump failures I've had in my entire company over the years. If I had oil pump failures like these things are having on that new of equipment, I would have some pissed of customers for sure and rightfully so. Compressors can run 18 to 24 hrs a day everyday for over 20 years and not see one failure. Most compressor failures are caused by an external problem not the compressor itself. Quality can be built if some wants to achieve it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #19
DARKTHIRTY777

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
When I lost oil pressure to my LS3, I called my local Dealership. They told me it was the first they heard of a oil pump going out. Plus it just so happened the warranty went out. I had around 27000 miles on the car.
2011 ls3 ss/rs, Kooks long tube headers, gutted high flow cats, 231/239. 624" lifted squared 115+3 lsa comp cam, ecs supercharger, Alky methanol kit, DSS 1000hp axles, BMR toe rods, BMR trailering arms, Fore innovations dual fuel pump. Flex fuel sensor and 360 custom tunes, hp tuners NGAUGE. 752 hp with 93 octane and 825 hp with E85.
DARKTHIRTY777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #20
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
What's the difference? A motor blowing up at 60 will have the same , but cause you a lot more issues. Face it, who stares at their oil pressure gauge while rooling down the highway.
What I mean is you will have those extra couple seconds if you DO notice.

And I find myself looking at it from time to time while driving.

Its a GM...you have to keep your eyes open for that kind of stuff lol
Old 12-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #21
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
I don't know the numbers, but I can you tell from being on this forum since 09 that it's too many for such a cridical part. Ive been doing refrigeration for more than 25 years and have worked on thousands of commercial compressors. I can count on one hand how many pump failures I've had in my entire company over the years. If I had oil pump failures like these things are having on that new of equipment, I would have some pissed of customers for sure and rightfully so. Compressors can run 18 to 24 hrs a day everyday for over 20 years and not see one failure. Most compressor failures are caused by an external problem not the compressor itself. Quality can be built if some wants to achieve it.
First three words of your post say it all. The way people jump on an issue without facts and pounce with angered emotions is nuts. It's under warranty. Get it fixed and move on. Or obviously the OP likes to mod his car so it's a perfect time to upgrade the engine a little.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #22
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Mine is headed to the dealer. Hopefully it's just the sending unit...
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #23
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Always one idiot with an unintelligent comeback.

Thank you for arriving so quickly
Ok swacer , unintelligent comeback my ass. All these guys bashing a known problem with an oil pump. So just bring it in and get fixed!! Crying on a forum is always the first place to go right?? My comment was that it doesn't matter what you have, shit breaks!! DA ...
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #24
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Well I am going to get rid of my SS. GM has known about these bad oil pumps since 2009 and they still stuck one in my 2013. I am going to look at the Civic Type-R. 300+ HP in that small car should be a blast to drive.
Meh.....I'd consider a wrx or sti before a Honda.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #25
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Start the car up today to leave the police dept and now oil pressure. Freaking great. The TSB about the oil pump issues have been out since 2010. You would of thought for a 2013 they would of had a oil pump without the issue.

So is the replacement pump going to be the same piece of shit design as the one I had? If it is I will probably get rid of my car and say goodbye GM.
How many miles on your car?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #26
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How many miles on your car?
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #27
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night trained View Post
Ok swacer , unintelligent comeback my ass. All these guys bashing a known problem with an oil pump. So just bring it in and get fixed!! Crying on a forum is always the first place to go right?? My comment was that it doesn't matter what you have, shit breaks!! DA ...
Some shit breaks more then other shit. There's alot of info regarding this very problem on this forum. So ya coming here testing the waters is a good idea. I'm sure it will end up at the dealership like it should. But some manufactures are known for reliability for a reason.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #28
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Well, I have to say I monitor it constantly, comes from my pilot training and 'scanning the instruments'. I have the AeroForce dual gauges and its part of my scan that I do while driving. Some habits are hard to break ;0).

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote