Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
The vehicle has battery run down protection so you can't leave anything originally installed on for longer than ten minutes. Have the dealer charge it and then perform a load test to determine its status.
Thats a good point and I should have remembered that from trying to do some outside late night interior detailing, and the light continuing to turn off.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
I think all of us have the amperage vampire attack overnight at one time or another. Happened to me once after being parked for two weeks too last summer. No explanation. No recurrence. No reason or rhyme. Batter is good and has never happened again. So i dunno.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #17
14_1LE

Drives: 2014 1lE Camaro
I left mine parked for 8 days and the same happened to me. I jumped the car and have been keeping it on a battery tender ever since. I have noticed since the tender that my DIC reads 12.5-12.6 after the car is up to temp. Before I had the car on a tender it stayed around 14.3-14.7 after reaching opt temps. I have never had a car battery depleted this fast, I agree with some of the above members that something is drawing more than it should.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390415
14_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #18
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Car has been parked for two weeks due to weather. Yesterday temps were up to 37 and it felt nice out, decided to exercise the car. Not enough juice to open the door locks with they key fob. Used the key to get in, no lights in the interior. Nothing. Dead as a door nail.

Will get the local dealership to pick her up and replace the battery. Was this a weak battery or do these things have enough draw when dormant to kill a fresh battery in two weeks? Granted, it has been cold and I'm sure that had some effect.
Mine did the same thing, drove it to the dealer and they said battery is good. There is a drain somewhere in the electrical system and its pissing me off.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #19
CaliDave

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to CaliDave
Happen to me after nine days. Dealership gave me a new battery
CaliDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #20
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Two weeks IMO, is not storing your car. There are plenty of guys on here that only drive their cars once a month. I would bet that every time they drive it, they don't rush out and put it back on a battery tender.
Wanna bet....lol!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #21
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I used to go through this with my other Camaro during winter. Check to see if you have aftermarket accessories which might be pulling an excessive draw. With or without accessories, just sitting for a couple of weeks (especially with the oem electronics on board) in cold weather is enough to drain your battery. I solved my problem at that time with a Battery Tender.

Just for your info, there are tenders which are solar powered, so in situations where one doesn't have a power source, a solar powered battery tender may be a viable solution. The potential problem with solars, however, is mounting, natural forces (wind) and vandalism.

If a tender isn't a good solution for you, then you may need to start the car once a week and let it run for a half hour. You could also look into temporary garaging for the winter if it helps. Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #22
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I used to go through this with my other Camaro during winter. Check to see if you have aftermarket accessories which might be pulling an excessive draw. With or without accessories, just sitting for a couple of weeks (especially with the oem electronics on board) in cold weather is enough to drain your battery. I solved my problem at that time with a Battery Tender.

Just for your info, there are tenders which are solar powered, so in situations where one doesn't have a power source, a solar powered battery tender may be a viable solution. The potential problem with solars, however, is mounting, natural forces (wind) and vandalism.

If a tender isn't a good solution for you, then you may need to start the car once a week and let it run for a half hour. You could also look into temporary garaging for the winter if it helps. Good luck.
I don't do the aftermarket accessories thing. This should be a one-time problem for me as I'm expecting my new MRR-228 rims (Z/28 knock offs in 1LE sizes and offsets) next month (they were supposed to be here by now, but I've been told they are delayed) which will get mounted with AS/3s, allowing me to drive the 1LE in the type of recent weather that forced me to park her for an extended period of time. She's normally my daily driver.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #23
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I solved my problem at that time with a Battery Tender.

The most common solution of car guys for years. Even if a car battery does not go dead between driving use, the tender promotes good battery health which, like other preventative maintenance that gives cars long life, is a good thing.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I don't do the aftermarket accessories thing. This should be a one-time problem for me as I'm expecting my new MRR-228 rims (Z/28 knock offs in 1LE sizes and offsets) next month (they were supposed to be here by now, but I've been told they are delayed) which will get mounted with AS/3s, allowing me to drive the 1LE in the type of recent weather that forced me to park her for an extended period of time. She's normally my daily driver.
Did you get it to the dealer yet ...what did they say & do ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #25
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Thats why I purchased the CTEK 4.3

Tending plus conditioning.

After my dead battery incident like posted here, I drove it around charged it up on the road, and never had the problem again for months.

First time I hooked up the Ctek, it took a full day plus to hit the second to last charge step as indicated by the LEDs.

I know my car is stored now for winter but I start it up now and then. Forgot to hook the CTEK back up in December for a couple of weeks. When I finally did it only took a very short time to hit the second to last LED that time.

The impression given me is the battery is working much better since the CTEK has been installed.

Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

But I dont sell them so it doesnt bother me to post this. Just a happy camper now, short of miserable cold crappy winter now.

Edit to add... no I have zero anything aftermarket on my car. Zero.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #26
Billy10mm

I park outside in a private lot with no power nearby, so no tenders for me. And no, the dealership won't see me yet, I'll post the details of that debacle when I get home.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #27
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Did you get it to the dealer yet ...what did they say & do ?
This is the short version of my call to the dealership:

Quote:
Hi, I need to schedule a service for my 2014 Camaro to take care of some recalls, get a PDR quote for a door ding, and warranty service on a completely dead battery.

Well sir, we are fully booked right now, the next available appointment is next Wednesday (this call happened on Tuesday of this week).

I'm in NYC on Wednesday and have meetings all day. Is Thursday good?

Yes sir, Thursday is great. What time will you be bringing the car by?

Since the battery is completely dead, I guess I should ask you what time you'll be picking the car up.

Oh. I'm sorry sir, but we're not associated with any towing service. You'll have to get the car towed here.

And GM will cover my cost for the tow?

No sir.

I live about a mile down the road. How about you come here and have a technician jump start my car or bring a battery with him?

I'm sorry sir, we can't do that.

Fine, I'll jump it the night before and pray that the charge holds overnight so I can drive it to you. I will be getting a loaner, correct?

No sir, we don't typically give out loaners for recalls.

How about I get a loaner on account of the warranty work then?

No sir, the battery by itself is too short of a service to warrant a loaner. You can take advantage of our shuttle service though.

Where would that take me?

To the train station down the road.

I work up in Stamford, will it take me there?

No sir.

Will you at least have someone drive me the 1 mile back home?

Yes sir, we can do that.

Thank you so very much for your astounding service. You have a nice day now.

You too sir, bye.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #28
LCG1LE
Solo

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Does everyone hook their tenders up to the battery directly, or do you use the jump points under the hood? I had a dead battery after being parked for 9 days, and 24 hours on 2A charger at the jump points didn't do anything; no dome light, nothing. I pulled the battery and took it to the dealer, they charged it and it tested good, haven't had any issues since.

Evidence of the Addiction:
1976 Sport Coupe Orange/Tan 5.0L V8
1976 Type LT White/Blue 5.0L V8
1983 Z/28 Brown/Brown LU5 Crossfire 5.0L V8
1988 Iroc-Z Black/Red L98 TPI 5.7L V8
2013 2SS Black/Orange L99 6.2L V8
2015 2SS White/Black LS3 6.2L V8 1LE
LCG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote