Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
NJMP has both 93 and 100 octane unleaded available at their T'bolt fuel station. I assume they'll still have both available.

You should be able to build heat into your tires over the course of a session, where you can't in street driving. I don't quite know how to correlate dragstrip running with road course running except to think that even a good burnout won't completely warm the tire - including the structural carcass - up to the same equilibrium temperature profile it reaches after two or three brisk laps with some hard braking thrown in. Any temporary "skin effect" temperature increase at the very surface of the tread will disappear rapidly in the cold unless you keep adding heat from generating slip angles in the corners and slip% under braking and acceleration. You do have to be smooth.

Based on last November, the lack of sun warming of the pavement probably costs most folks running solo a couple of seconds at T'bolt - there was some sun for the first two sessions but little or none in the afternoon (and my slower lap times in the PM relative to session 2 show it). But it's supposed to be partly sunny which is at least as good as 16 November ever got with temperatures that only made it to the upper 40°'s. I'm planning on taking 3 or 4 easy laps at the beginning of the first session and at least a couple at the beginning of the rest.

Norm
Thanks! It's not the availability of gasoline that worries me, its the explosive nature of the twin turbos at high rpm combined with the poor cold blooded nature of the stock Goodyears. If I had a 91 tune my HP would be reduced. Right now even with my wastegate mininum 6 pounds it's a little explosive especially in cold air.

My car is still a work in progress. If I had it to do over again, I would get smaller turbos. They would spool sooner and would more slowly build power. I built my car knowing very little about turbo charging. It is the future, but for me it is not quite here yet.

While I enjoy drag racing, I wanted my 1LE to be good at both. I added a bit of weight, but it's all down low and I did not upset the balance of the car. I am still running the square tire setup. It is great fun to drive in warm weather.