Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
yeah the road is brutal to our cars. First week had a chip in the windshield! My windshield looks like it took a number 9 shot shotgun blast.. Pitted! The hood was chipped but I had it repainted due to vandalism.. When I was in college I was driving a 1980 honda accord that started every other tuesday on even numbered months. Just enjoy your sweet machine and watch out for drunks!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #16
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
So earlier as I was pulling out of the campus parking garage to pay my stub, I opened my door, and after it came to a stop at the first hinge stop, it swung the rest of the way open and hit a post beside the ticket machine...

1. The very first ding - my passenger door. Prom night, my friend opened my door and hit a uHaul truck....

5. Bumper Scrape- Firstly, I don't know how it happened. But it did. I am sure many of you have seen my picture in the "What Did you do to your camaro today?" thread. Under my front bumper I scraped down to the plastic. And to exacerbate the problem, a few months later I hit a parking curb in Louisiana and scraped the front of my bumper slightly.

7. Forgot to add, I believe my car came from the dealership with a paint chip on the drivers door. It's not noticeable because I used a paint pen to fill it in, but it on the crease where the door closed. Maybe about 1/4 inch bug, up and down. When the door is closed it's hidden mostly.

8. Other minor things not worth mentioning.
Prom? I'm going to throw it out there: Maybe you aren't old (read: mature) enough, yet, to take care of a brand new car? If you have any evidence to prove me wrong, please say so. The above most likely disproves that though, and in less than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
...the windshield has a crack in it...

Quote:
3. Slightly cracked windshield- Rock + windshield = 7 inch long crack at the bottom.
Please don't drive with cracked windshields; 7 inches is not slight. It's dangerous for you, your passengers, and other drivers on the road. Get it fixed.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #17

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Quote:
So earlier as I was pulling out of the campus parking garage to pay my stub, I opened my door, and after it came to a stop at the first hinge stop, it swung the rest of the way open and hit a post beside the ticket machine. After further inspection of the victimized door, I didn't really notice anything wrong with it. Not a dent or scratch in sight, though it was fairly dark.... Then it made me think- How many people drive around with dings, scratches, or other imperfections? Have y'all learned to live with them? I have plenty of examples I have learned to live with, though few visible to the average car owners eyes.

1. The very first ding - my passenger door. Prom night, my friend opened my door and hit a uHaul truck. Didn't even notice the dent until 2 weeks later when I washed my car. :broken heart:

2. My paint- stray cats and things of sorts have put scratches on my car that are barely visible unless under fluorescent lighting.

3. Slightly cracked windshield- Rock + windshield = 7 inch long crack at the bottom.

4.The paint on the RS emblem on the front of my car is gone, and I am left with a silver RS instead of a red one... Same is happening to the rear one, at the moment.

5. Bumper Scrape- Firstly, I don't know how it happened. But it did. I am sure many of you have seen my picture in the "What Did you do to your camaro today?" thread. Under my front bumper I scraped down to the plastic. And to exacerbate the problem, a few months later I hit a parking curb in Louisiana and scraped the front of my bumper slightly.

6. There is also a slight dent in my drivers door from someone hitting it at the grocery store with their door. It isn't noticeable, because even I have to search for it in just the right lighting.

7. Forgot to add, I believe my car came from the dealership with a paint chip on the drivers door. It's not noticeable because I used a paint pen to fill it in, but it on the crease where the door closed. Maybe about 1/4 inch bug, up and down. When the door is closed it's hidden mostly.

In 4 days, she will be 10 months old, and she currently has 12,000 hard miles on her

I wouldn't know, as I don't worry about stuff like that . Drive it, maintain it, wash it, wax it. call it a day.
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #18

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
My boss backed a car into my 07 and scratched the bumper. Even if I had the bumper repainted, the scratch would still be underneath. Nothing to do for it but to buy the Boss that was sitting in the dealer's showroom.

Are you driving a Mustang Boss 302, and hanging out in the Camaro forums all day ?

So you used to have a Camaro I'm assuming ? Or what's going on here ?
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Prom? I'm going to throw it out there: Maybe you aren't old (read: mature) enough, yet, to take care of a brand new car? If you have any evidence to prove me wrong, please say so. The above most likely disproves that though, and in less than a year.

Please don't drive with cracked windshields; 7 inches is not slight. It's dangerous for you, your passengers, and other drivers on the road. Get it fixed.

That's ignorant to say that I'm not mature enough to own a new vehicle. Only 2 of the instances above were my fault, and one of them shouldn't even CLEARLY count because it didn't leave any damage. I'm not the only one that has imperfections. No, they're not monstrosities, but yes they're there. That's exactly why I made this thread, to see that I'm not the only one. I'm 18 and I'm attending a University. (Texas A&M University to be exact). The prom incident obviously wasn't my fault, and yes I got my car my senior year of highschool. I don't see a problem there. Many other young fellow c5 owners here. And the crack in my windshield was repaired shortly after. He sucked it out and filled it, but it doesn't mean there isn't a crack there anymore! It's obviously still visible. But don't say that I'm too young to care for something that I have no control over (other than the hitting the parking curb, I don't deny that.) like stated before, it's a vehicle. The exterior of the vehicle is in contact with the road way more than I am in contact with the outside of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #20
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Are you driving a Mustang Boss 302, and hanging out in the Camaro forums all day ?

So you used to have a Camaro I'm assuming ? Or what's going on here ?

Yes I think he drives a mustang. Gathered that from "my '07". That really sucks though!! So you bought the new one?

Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #21
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Go to the dealership they will replace your RS badges. One of my 45th badges was installed crooked from the factory and the dealer replaced it under the bumper to bumper.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #22
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
About a month or so after I got it I think a shopping cart ran into the rear panel driver side over the wheel and scratched it around the whole wheel kinda. I'm still pissed off about it but what can ya do, it's not completely noticable. I think it went through the clear coat. Other than that some scratches by the door handle from my wife's nails.

I'll be honest I don't really expect my car to be squeaky clean all the time. It's a muscle car/pony car I like them dirty and not perfect. These aren't luxury sedans. But dents are different. I don't like those.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
Akatsuki

Rock must have hit my windshield because now I have a small spider web in upper right hand corner, not visible from inside the vehicle as its so far up.

Scrapes at the bottom of my bumper from having to pull over on the shoulder of the highway at night and one of the dirt patches had a very steep incline,

recently the long scratch on my outer passenger side mirror from tight garage space.

2011 SS RS with 20,000 miles currently
Akatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
That's ignorant to say that I'm not mature enough to own a new vehicle. Only 2 of the instances above were my fault, and one of them shouldn't even CLEARLY count because it didn't leave any damage. I'm not the only one that has imperfections. No, they're not monstrosities, but yes they're there. That's exactly why I made this thread, to see that I'm not the only one. I'm 18 and I'm attending a University. (Texas A&M University to be exact). The prom incident obviously wasn't my fault, and yes I got my car my senior year of highschool. I don't see a problem there. Many other young fellow c5 owners here. And the crack in my windshield was repaired shortly after. He sucked it out and filled it, but it doesn't mean there isn't a crack there anymore! It's obviously still visible. But don't say that I'm too young to care for something that I have no control over (other than the hitting the parking curb, I don't deny that.) like stated before, it's a vehicle. The exterior of the vehicle is in contact with the road way more than I am in contact with the outside of the vehicle.

I had a lot of stuff happen to me that wasn't my fault when I was your age too. My nephew is 22 and has totaled three cars, none of which were his fault. A good example is the guys who park in the back of the parking lots to avoid scratches. They could park 18 inches from somebody's beater and have a scratch when they come out. Whose fault would that be?

As far as mature enough to own the car, it's your chit. Drive it like you stole it. If you bought it yourself, you have no one to answer to. If mommy and daddy bought it, well you're not being a good steward with their gift.

On the imperfections:

I have lots of chips from I-95 construction, some dings from my stupidity, a lot of scratches in the door jam from my prosthetic leg and the underside of my bumper looks like someone took 40 grit to it. None of those bother me (ok the dings bother me but not enough to fix).

A crack in the windshield would drive me nuts. An oil leak from anywhere sends me off the deep end. A miss in engine and you might as well set the POS on fire. Good think I can fix all that. If that sort of stuff bothers you, invest in tools because paying people to fix it will keep you in the poor house.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #25
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
I'm very careful with my car and where I park it and stuff. However, at 10k miles some dumb ass hit my door so hard it ruined the panel, putting a 8" horizontal crease in it...

I know exactly who did it and when, he is in my unit, and no one cares because of his rank so I'm just out $400 for repairs....
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #26
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Bought mine brand new 5 months ago. 14.6k miles already-

1) 4 days later some idiot opened their door into my passenger door (i believe it was 100% intended) leaving 2 door dings.

2) 2 .5 months ago some lady bumps my rear bumper at at&t parking lot (very minor tiny mark), I told her to not worry about it.

3) 1 month ago rock chip plus heat equals 7 inch crack (got this driving from ohio to texas)

4) 1 month ago noticed a chip on the silver stripe on hood and a few rock chips

5) 1 week ago *very very embarassing* forgot to get gas (I never let it drop below half) but I was in a hell of a hurry and just forgot to get gas before heading to work for a few days. I get back home and yes the low fuel light came on (first for me), I had so much on my mind then ended up running a white 5.0 lol (which somehow I destroyed) and across town to at&t again. Im at a red light and my car shuts off on a busy ass street! There was a service station not even 1/4 mile up the road and I started the task of pushing it (again very embarrassing).
This one guy pulls behind me in a trailblazer and offers to push (we both have plastic bumpers), I submit bc its 98 degrees and i was drenched. I get pushed, hand him a 20 for his help, top off my tank and go on about my business/ day. The next day (saturday) I had her washed and notiched the mark on my rear bumper (DOH!) Lol.

With that said and done mine is at the body shop getting the minor imperfections repaired AS WE SPEAK. I did not lose any sleep on anything because its a freaking car (mass production), and I purchased it to use and enjoy. S**t happens and life goes on, I have to put my 2012 F250 diesel in the shop next for a complete right side repaint and I did not damage any of it (my buddy did the honors).

Life is too short to sweat the small things. I maintain my cars and wash/wax them to keep them up, however I do not cherish any material posessions because they are replaceable. I am young but had some very tragic life changing events earlier in my life which gave me the mentality I have. From my Z06 to the sti, down to the Camaro ss I do not cherish them, but yes I like and enjoy them.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #27
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It's all a matter of perspective, and, the fact that your car has a few imperfections is a sign that it's being driven, and that you're enjoying it too. Don't get down on yourself or let other people tell you that you somehow don't deserve to be driving a new car.

Some things are preventable, and others aren't. Sometimes stupid things happen, so live/learn and move on. You'll want to obsess about it because it's your Camaro, but try not to let it get to you. ..
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #28
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
So earlier as I was pulling out of the campus parking garage to pay my stub, I opened my door, and after it came to a stop at the first hinge stop, it swung the rest of the way open and hit a post beside the ticket machine. After further inspection of the victimized door, I didn't really notice anything wrong with it. Not a dent or scratch in sight, though it was fairly dark.... Then it made me think- How many people drive around with dings, scratches, or other imperfections? Have y'all learned to live with them? I have plenty of examples I have learned to live with, though few visible to the average car owners eyes.

1. The very first ding - my passenger door. Prom night, my friend opened my door and hit a uHaul truck. Didn't even notice the dent until 2 weeks later when I washed my car. :broken heart:

2. My paint- stray cats and things of sorts have put scratches on my car that are barely visible unless under fluorescent lighting.

4.The paint on the RS emblem on the front of my car is gone, and I am left with a silver RS instead of a red one... Same is happening to the rear one, at the moment.

6. There is also a slight dent in my drivers door from someone hitting it at the grocery store with their door. It isn't noticeable, because even I have to search for it in just the right lighting.

In 4 days, she will be 10 months old, and she currently has 12,000 hard miles on her
Quote:

To be clear, it's not ignorant. It's the truth in this case.

As for your university, that's highly irrelevant. Nothing about a new college student screams responsibility or maturity; I've been there, trust me.

You made no mention of repairing your windshield in a thread about "driving with imperfections". Forgive me for misunderstanding your omitted information.

The exterior of the vehicle is your responsibility, and only a couple of these "accidents" were unfortunate and out of your control. I don't fault you for rock chips, windshield chips, and grocery store/people outside your car damaging it, but:

1. Opened your door into a parking machine - your fault.
2. Your friend inside your vehicle, who I will assume was not drunk at Prom for your benefit, is your responsibility. Your fault.
3. Parking curb. Your fault.
4. Not inspecting your new car before leaving the lot. Your fault.

If you have a victim's mentality than it's always everyone else's fault.

To answer your original question - yes people drive around with imperfections that are small enough not to be worth fixing, from their perspective.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote