Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
YES, VERY GOOD!!! I should have that down as well, don't want the potential to fry something.

Wouldn't the weight of the child/child seat in the seat trigger the sensor so the air bag would deploy? That would be bad.

It's set at a predetermined weight. Too light and it won't go off. You can test it in your Camaro. Look at the light on the mirror. It will tell you if it is active or not.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
YES, VERY GOOD!!! I should have that down as well, don't want the potential to fry something.

Wouldn't the weight of the child/child seat in the seat trigger the sensor so the air bag would deploy? That would be bad.
I am pretty sure the weight required for activation is supposed to be above what the weight of a child in a chiles restraint seat could weigh.

Quote:
Federal regulations do not specify a specific weight at which passenger-side airbags must be turned on or off. Instead, automakers must meet a performance standard that in a frontal collision the airbag protects a crash dummy that represents a “5th percentile female” and weighs about 108 pounds. Passenger-side airbags should be turned on when seat sensors detect an occupant of this weight or greater, but that doesn’t mean they will always be off if someone lighter is seated.

All airbag systems are not the same, so when the passenger-side airbag is turned on can vary by manufacturer and the readings from seat sensors that measure not only the weight but the stature and seating position of the occupant and other factors. For example, on some GM vehicles, an electronic field measures the amount of water in the occupant to help determine the occupant’s size and weight. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says an adult who is not centered and seated upright or is leaning heavily on an armrest can take pressure off the seat cushion and mislead the seat sensors.
Even if the “passenger airbag off” warning light is not illuminated, the airbag should not deploy if the system senses a child or infant, who could be injured by the force of the deployment. If the “passenger airbag off” warning light doesn’t come on when you think it should (or does when it shouldn’t), NHTSA advises that you consult your owner’s manual and have the car inspected by a dealer if you are still concerned.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Could have just had a second "Track Key" disabling the airbags, hate to do it...
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/523.htm

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Could have just had a second "Track Key" disabling the airbags, hate to do it...
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/523.htm
There is no way any manufacturer would ever provide a way for the disabling of the airbags and certain safety measures in a vehicle, because if they did someone would wind up killing themselves or others with the best of intentions and you know that the lawyers and the NTSB would file several lawsuits against the manufacturer.

Also the Ford Track Key, while providing many changes that one would want for the track the one thing that it doesn't do is disable the air bags.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
They could just wait until it kills someone on the track and then get sued I suppose.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...4-cc436b8f1706

Coworkers wife now has to take seizure medication and lost he license after the side airbag in their Nissan bruised her brain. I can live without them thanks.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #20
Steve_RS_Camaro
Ain't Scared Racing

Drives: 2015 Summit White Camaro Z28
It can even happen to an RS on the track.
Attached Images

Steve_RS_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #21
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
2 yr old thread dude
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #22
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
So in my F-150, you could use the ig key to turn the passenger airbag on and off. This was for car seats and cardiac pts. and pregnant ladies. I think you are instructed not to drive after o.h.s. That was a 2003.
Troy
Old 05-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #23
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman007 View Post
So in my F-150, you could use the ig key to turn the passenger airbag on and off. This was for car seats and cardiac pts. and pregnant ladies. I think you are instructed not to drive after o.h.s. That was a 2003.
Troy
That system was replaced with the automatic passenger sensing system in later years, I don't think anything has manual airbag switches anymore.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #24
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I don't believe they can disable all the airbags, but there are vehicles that have switches to disable some of them. My other vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 Pickup. It has an airbag disable button right on the dash. I read the owner's manual, and it disables the side curtain airbags only. It is supposedly to be used when driving the truck off road, so that a steep approach angle on a hill where one side of the truck is up much higher than the other doesn't trigger a sensor, thinking the truck is rolling and activate them by accident.

My off roading is usually not anything that severe or extreme that it should be a concern though. I've seen online where guys use these trucks to go dune jumping, rock crawling and all sorts of extreme off road uses where I guess that little button is a real necessity.

My off roading activities are a bit more tame by comparison. Through a meadow at a farm and up a dirt road to cut firewood and load up the truck, or up old logging roads when I go hunting. That's about it, the truck doubles as my daily driver when home and traveling to work or out to the hardware store for supplies, so I really don't do anything too crazy with it.

Using that as an example, I don't see why the Camaro couldn't have a similar button intended for track use that just disabled the side curtain ones so they don't deploy if the vehicle gets sideways a bit. I dunno, I'm sure there is some reason why they don't.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote