Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Just got a call from the dealer, they are replacing the ring and pinion, they found some pitting on them, so much for your advice LOL.
Really, pitting. Glad the dealer found the problem and is fixing things. How or what caused this pitting, hmmm... Like I said, stop babying this thing and let her do what she's meant to do. After you get done babying the diff, 200 miles max) let the darn thing rip. RED LINE HER THRU THE GEARS, at least the first four. Don't think much of my advice, then why are you driving a high performance car? I work with a girl who has a powerhouse mustang, when I asked her how fast she's had her's she said "oh, I never drive fast, I'd say maybe close to 90 mph". WTF? I do more than that on the highway on ramp. Well to each their own. Maybe to prevent a reoccurrence you should wrap a diaper around the rear end. Just kidding, it just really pisses me off when people buy a high performance and its like "Driving Miss Daisy", I find it insulting when some slow-poke is holding up the fast lane and then you see this muscle car, in the damn fast lane, not even doing the speed limit. If I'm in my pick-up, the way I really enjoy seeing a muscle car is when it rips by me a blinding speed. My response, Yeah Baby! The ZL1 in my lingo; Ride'm Cowboy!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Really, pitting. Glad the dealer found the problem and is fixing things. How or what caused this pitting, hmmm... Like I said, stop babying this thing and let her do what she's meant to do. After you get done babying the diff, 200 miles max) let the darn thing rip. RED LINE HER THRU THE GEARS, at least the first four. Don't think much of my advice, then why are you driving a high performance car? I work with a girl who has a powerhouse mustang, when I asked her how fast she's had her's she said "oh, I never drive fast, I'd say maybe close to 90 mph". WTF? I do more than that on the highway on ramp. Well to each their own. Maybe to prevent a reoccurrence you should wrap a diaper around the rear end. Just kidding, it just really pisses me off when people buy a high performance and its like "Driving Miss Daisy", I find it insulting when some slow-poke is holding up the fast lane and then you see this muscle car, in the damn fast lane, not even doing the speed limit. If I'm in my pick-up, the way I really enjoy seeing a muscle car is when it rips by me a blinding speed. My response, Yeah Baby! The ZL1 in my lingo; Ride'm Cowboy!

If you hear a strange sound coming out of your engine do you go out and floor it hoping that will make it go away? I definitely do not baby this car but I also know that sometimes you get defective parts and when you have a defective part it can become a domino effect for other issues. So, yes instead of going out and thinking that if I just floor it it will fix any problems I actually bring it to the experts to make sure there isn't actually something wrong, that is why I have a warranty.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
The roads are not your personal racetrack. You need to drive responsibly.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Normagene

If there's a problem, take it to the experts by all means. That's not what I was saying; babying these high performance cars causes problems. That's the point I was attempting to make. If I have/had a sound like what you're describing, I would do the same thing, immediately go and have it checked out. These cars must be driven hard, ask the engineers who designed them, you actually will lose horsepower by babying these monsters. I saw the dyno on a three year old mustang that lost just over 30% of its power output because of three years of not putting it through its paces. The last quote, yes I drive very responsibly, I work nites and I'm usually the only one on the highway. I have my spots that I know I can punch it and really let her rip. Had the SS up to 153, so I'm dying to see what the ZL1 will do. I don't ever weave in and out of traffic, nor do I ever speed on the street. Open highway, well that's a different story, providing there's no other traffic. Lastly, yes I would of red lined her prior to taking it in to have the rear end checked out, sometimes that's all she really wanted/needed to get the whines and squeaks out of her system. But always check with the pro's.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
If there's a problem, take it to the experts by all means. That's not what I was saying; babying these high performance cars causes problems. That's the point I was attempting to make. If I have/had a sound like what you're describing, I would do the same thing, immediately go and have it checked out. These cars must be driven hard, ask the engineers who designed them, you actually will lose horsepower by babying these monsters. I saw the dyno on a three year old mustang that lost just over 30% of its power output because of three years of not putting it through its paces. The last quote, yes I drive very responsibly, I work nites and I'm usually the only one on the highway. I have my spots that I know I can punch it and really let her rip. Had the SS up to 153, so I'm dying to see what the ZL1 will do. I don't ever weave in and out of traffic, nor do I ever speed on the street. Open highway, well that's a different story, providing there's no other traffic. Lastly, yes I would of red lined her prior to taking it in to have the rear end checked out, sometimes that's all she really wanted/needed to get the whines and squeaks out of her system. But always check with the pro's.

Maybe you should try politics!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Normagene

LOL, now that's a good answer, really made me laugh. Just took "The Devil's Nightmare" out for a spin. 46 out and I'd been driving for a good 30 plus minutes and I'm a little disappointed that even at 46 the tires just don't stick. I came around the intersection, not fast, maybe 35/40 mph and all four tires are sliding. Huge concrete wall on my right side was coming closer and closer. I was in PTM 2, but in a slide there was no nanny interference. Felt really good just didn't care for that concrete wall coming so close. The nanny kicks in a lot when I'm accelerating, but nothing in a slide when not on the throttle. The rear end, not a sound other than the tires chirping.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
LOL, now that's a good answer, really made me laugh. Just took "The Devil's Nightmare" out for a spin. 46 out and I'd been driving for a good 30 plus minutes and I'm a little disappointed that even at 46 the tires just don't stick. I came around the intersection, not fast, maybe 35/40 mph and all four tires are sliding. Huge concrete wall on my right side was coming closer and closer. I was in PTM 2, but in a slide there was no nanny interference. Felt really good just didn't care for that concrete wall coming so close. The nanny kicks in a lot when I'm accelerating, but nothing in a slide when not on the throttle. The rear end, not a sound other than the tires chirping.

Please do not further report your unsafe driving habits to the rest of us. Yes, we enjoy the ZL1, but we understand that we must drive responsibly on public roads. And please let me know if you ever come to Arizona so I can stay off the streets.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Pitting was caused by sitting out in moisture during the QC hold.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Please do not further report your unsafe driving habits to the rest of us. Yes, we enjoy the ZL1, but we understand that we must drive responsibly on public roads. And please let me know if you ever come to Arizona so I can stay off the streets.
Wait a minute, I was driving fine, the tires just don't grip well in cooler temps. When I leave work in the early am hours just slightly touching the throttle spins the tires. Temps below 50 and the tires need to be really warmed up, like 30/40 minutes at highway speed, you know, 70/80 mph. Not my fault, I hadn't planned on perfecting my "drifting" skills. Ease up, and I'm coming right next door to Texas, we'll be like neighbors! Ye haw!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
Normagene

Wait a minute, I was driving fine. The tires don't grip in cooler temps. I work the nite shift, get out in the early am hours, below 50 and the tires spin with the slightest touch of throttle. It takes a good 30/40 minutes at highway speed, you know, 70/80 mph to warm them up. I had no intension of perfecting my "drifting" skills, the tires just don't stick in cooler temps. Ease up, and I will be moving to Texas, so we'll be just like neighbors, ye haw!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Wait a minute, I was driving fine, the tires just don't grip well in cooler temps. When I leave work in the early am hours just slightly touching the throttle spins the tires. Temps below 50 and the tires need to be really warmed up, like 30/40 minutes at highway speed, you know, 70/80 mph. Not my fault, I hadn't planned on perfecting my "drifting" skills. Ease up, and I'm coming right next door to Texas, we'll be like neighbors! Ye haw!
Doing bettter than 90mph on the on-ramp, and having the SS up to 150mph+ even if it's on an empty highway at night??

You stay down south and I'll stay here in Mi.

And yes I'm 'one of those' that would probably piiss you off cause I have a car with a spedometer that goes to 200mpph but I never intend to do more than the 90mph I had it up to very breifly when I passed someone on the freeway.

Dive safe now, ya hear???
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Hmmm late at night and you are the only one on the highway.... Guess you never heard of anyone hitting a deer or other animal late at night. If you are driving 100mph or more late at night you are seriously overdriving your headlights. Like I said before the road is not your personal racetrack.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
Live Fast. Die Young. Leave a good looking corpse.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I am also noticing similar sounds on mostly when leaving my driveway. Very slow turns. Its a howling type noise coming from the rear of the car. My guess is the differential.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote