Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
The difference at the pump is like 2 dollars a tank. If that is stopping you after paying 30~40k for your Camaro, idk what to tell you.
The difference is a lot more than $2 and I wasn't inquiring about how to pay for my car. I'm asking about differences in horsepower. Why is it every time a subject like this comes up a smart assed answer is required from some people?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
Difference is 6 bucks for a tank [i.e. 19Gal] where I live. So that's a difference of $222 a year assuming an average of 17 miles to the gallon and 12000 miles a year
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would never run low octane in my SS. I don't know what peak HP/TQ losses are, but I'm sure you're losing power all throughout the RPM range. The SS cars that were running on the low octane table (before someone figured out the fuse pull) were doing 0-60 in like 6 secs, which is the same as the V6. I just consider the extra 3 to 4 bucks a tank the cost of owning one of these beastly machines

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
The difference is a lot more than $2 and I wasn't inquiring about how to pay for my car. I'm asking about differences in horsepower. Why is it every time a subject like this comes up a smart assed answer is required from some people?
Maybe some people like to joke
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
woodj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
Maybe some people like to joke
Than there are a lot of comedians on this site.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #20

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just for the heck of it, our fabulous owners manual states...

V8: use premium 91 or higher; best performance 93;

87 or higher can be used..."but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard. If the octane rating is less than 87, a heavy knocking noise might be heard when driving. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine...."

IMO 87 regular is not worth risking a knock that may or may not be "heavy"...to me, even a "slight" knock would be damaging...
...and it sounds like it would be a lot more than just a ten hp loss...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
drobbins2

Drives: '12 ss
Quote:
Anyone ever figured out how much horsepower is lost by running regular fuel in an L99 or an LS3? I also own a 5.0 Mustang and the loss is only 10 horsepower (412hp vs. 402hp). With the price differential between regular and premium it might be worth changing over to save a few $$$ as gas gets more expensive. The 5, 20 fuse pull is easy enough to do later when switching back.
That "seat of your pants" feel is noticeable. At WOT you will have high airmass and the timings are significantly different if you look at the charts closely. I honestly wouldn't doubt 30-40hp as someone already mentioned, maybe even more! And if you're getting knock from 87, you're going to want to put 93 in immediately before you cause damage.
drobbins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
L99SS

Drives: '10 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSdude View Post
Difference is 6 bucks for a tank [i.e. 19Gal] where I live. So that's a difference of $222 a year assuming an average of 17 miles to the gallon and 12000 miles a year
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just for the heck of it, our fabulous owners manual states...

V8: use premium 91 or higher; best performance 93;

87 or higher can be used..."but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard. If the octane rating is less than 87, a heavy knocking noise might be heard when driving. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine...."

IMO 87 regular is not worth risking a knock that may or may not be "heavy"...to me, even a "slight" knock would be damaging...
...and it sounds like it would be a lot more than just a ten hp loss...
It might be a stretch to damage the engine using 87 for a spell instead of 91+, but if saving ~ $18.50/mo buys you peace of mind with a $4000 engine, then go for it.

As for the comedians on this site, well it's a public forum. There will always be a few wise cracks when the topics of fuel, money, and SS Camaro are in the same subject. You have to decide for yourself if the performance hit is worth it to use lower grade. Sometimes it's not just the performance aspect but also reliability, say if you needed it to get up go in a hurry.

But as you said, if you don't want to risk it, simply use it in your Mustang and save the Camaro with premium grade for weekends. You have options.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
woodj

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99SS View Post
As for the comedians on this site, well it's a public forum. There will always be a few wise cracks when the topics of fuel, money, and SS Camaro are in the same subject.
That's just an excuse to be obnoxious. Just because you aren't actually sitting across from someone face to face is no reason to be less than considerate. I know that the lack of civility on this forum prevents me from posting as often as I probably would under normal circumstances. I have a real problem letting the occassional snide remark go.

As far as the horsepower question goes, I doubt anyone has come up with a real number. If there is a chance of damaging my engine or seeing a significant loss of horsepower by using 87 octane than I won't do it. Seems like maybe Ford has a better solution with the ability of their engines to use either regular or premium without a significant loss of power. After all why spend the extra money for just 10 horses? I don't see the point in it.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
wouldn't that be funny, someone using 87 and it damages the engine and you get the "Sorry, not under warranty, we checked the gas and you are NOT using the recommended Octane for this car".

Maybe we will see that post sometime here. The we will have a lot of "I told you so's".. whoo hoo!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
sakino

Drives: 2012 camaro ls inferno orange
Now you got me a bit worried. I have a V6 lsx motor, and I've been putting 87 in since my first fill up. Should I be switching to 91 or 93? If so do I have to do some fuse pull thing people are talking about, or just fill up with the higher octane from here in out?
sakino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakino View Post
Now you got me a bit worried. I have a V6 lsx motor, and I've been putting 87 in since my first fill up. Should I be switching to 91 or 93? If so do I have to do some fuse pull thing people are talking about, or just fill up with the higher octane from here in out?
I wouldn't worry...that's all V8 stuff...87 is recommended for the V6...you might here an audible knock if less than 87 is used...(the manual never mentions having to use premium in a V6)...probably a waste of money.

Also, I've yet to hear anyone saying on the forums they've ever experienced any knocking noise one way or the other...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
I read this thread and all I got from it is that for $4,000 I can replace my 2012 LS3? I kind of doubt that, sounds to cheap to believe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #28
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
That's just an excuse to be obnoxious. Just because you aren't actually sitting across from someone face to face is no reason to be less than considerate. I know that the lack of civility on this forum prevents me from posting as often as I probably would under normal circumstances. I have a real problem letting the occassional snide remark go.
All you will achieve by going after them is an increase in the sum total of BAD KARMA and an increase in blood pressure. Far easier to ignore
Now if someone did something to your camaro that's a whole different story