Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
I pay by the year and I think it comes out to less that $13/month
I have it on 2 vehicles, only wish they would add a multiple car discount.
Interesting to note. I'll have to check out the plans before I make a decision.

I forgot to mention one thing...the one thing that feels like it has some value is the integrated cell phone, believe it or not. The amp in OnStar's cell unit is much, much more powerful (FCC maximum for digital devices, I believe?) than a typical iPhone or Android type pocket cell phone. I live too far out to get cell service at my house, but I am able to send/receive calls via OnStar with the car parked at the house. It would be a good backup comm device if the power went out or DSL went down (which they do, frequently)
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Onstar is a waste of money. I keep AAA for towing, gas locked keys ect.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
To me it's worth it. In Arkansas cell phone service can be sketchy and it's nice to have onstar there.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #18
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
When you hit the tree and your head hits the steering wheel your family needs help ASAP. Nice to hear "THIS IS ONSTAR WE HAVE HELP ON THE WAY to your Location". < Happened to my sweetie. YEA I have it on all my cars
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
I have a month left to decide. And I think it's a little pricey for what you get. For those of you who currently have the subscription, how do you like the service? It's it worth it?

Thanks!
I didn't read through the other posts as this topic is usually filled with tales of folks calling to cancel and OS makes them some outrageous offer they just can't refuse. If that happens to you - more power to you. They didn't make me that offer so I cancelled. 99.9% of the time, the only thing that's used is the navigation feature and my Garmin is much better than OS.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Interesting to note. I'll have to check out the plans before I make a decision.

I forgot to mention one thing...the one thing that feels like it has some value is the integrated cell phone, believe it or not. The amp in OnStar's cell unit is much, much more powerful (FCC maximum for digital devices, I believe?) than a typical iPhone or Android type pocket cell phone. I live too far out to get cell service at my house, but I am able to send/receive calls via OnStar with the car parked at the house. It would be a good backup comm device if the power went out or DSL went down (which they do, frequently)
There are all sorts of reasons why people may want it. Poor cell phone service, run into things a lot, etc. but it just proved to be a waste of money for me.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #21
RA1987

Drives: SS
On star - big brother option
RA1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #22
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
I was thinking now way when I first got it but I like the added safety and troubleshooting the system offers. I am going for it.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Not needed.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #24
jonseyss

Drives: 2013 ZL1--Mods...who needs 'em
Safe and sound if you've got the nav system.
jonseyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #25
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Amen.

When will they smarten up and offer a-la-carte pricing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I think some of the features are neat (remote unlock, automated diagnostics, automatic crash response, etc)- but they don't have a lot of value to me. If the basic plan was $5/month I'd totally do it. $20 or $29 seems pricey for the benefit. I'm not sure I'm going to renew after my free trial, either.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
It's like totally split here. I'll see if I can get a discount, who's got $200 to throw away? Plus if Palmer says no, who am I to refute?
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #27
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Remember now you can track your car with onstar too. I love that feature. I got the safe and sound plan and pay $10. They will negotiate with you if you tell them your not really interested. The safety features alone are worth it to me in case of an emergency. Besides, I also get a pretty good discount with the insurance company to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #28
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
My dad got T-boned in his 2013 Silverado by a minivan going 50mph+ in a rural area with not much traffic.

The impact knocked him out.

He was woken up by the Onstar operator asking him if he was ok and that they were sending help.

I'd say it's worth it.