Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIO SS View Post
LPW cover works with the JRE billet caps. Had the posi-mod done with caps yesterday. The JRE billet cap as mentioned provides a nice seat for the covers torque bolts for the bearing caps. Very happy with the outcome.
Just be sure to grind off some of the rib, or it will rub the frame. Look at the first two pics above. I'm sending pics and calling LPW on Monday to make them aware of this, so they can mod the covers before they ship them out.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #16
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
Ted was talking to me about these covers yesterday, we'll have to call Mark @ LPW and chat about these

Thanks for the suggestion!
Ted, For us that don't need an expensive 9" conversion, the Lingenfelter 3.70 or 3.91 gear with your posi mod and billet caps and this cover look like just the ticket!!

If I already have an RPM transmission 3.70 gear diff, what would be the cost to send it to you to do the posi mod, billet caps and LPW cover!!!

Thanks!!

T

BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
Synner

Drives: cars
What do the stock caps look like? Will the bolts work reasonably well on them? I assume it was designed to work with the stock setup primarily but it never hurts to ask. Anyone have a pic of the stock internals?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
Rebuilt my diff yesterday with the LPE AAM 3.91's and installed the LPW cover. It is a lot beefier than the stock cover and the load bolts work very nice with the JRE billet caps. The load bolt pads are exactly the same width as the billet caps. I thinks this cover is going to help alot in strengthening the diff. Here are some pics:

I did have to grind down about 2" of the right side of the rib approximately5/16'" deep to clear the frame of the car just above the rear mounting bolt bracket. It fit in alright without grinding it down, but I noticed it was touching the frame, and knew it would make alot of noise transmit through the car. So I pulled it back out and ground some off until I had aprox. 1/8" gap. This pic shows where to grind:
Attachment 241237

This pic shows where I ground the rib. You can see where it would have been touching the frame of the car.
Attachment 241248
Attachment 241230

Attachment 241231

Attachment 241232

Attachment 241233

Attachment 241234

Attachment 241235

Attachment 241236
Thanks for the post and pictures. I'm getting gears,billet caps,posi mod and diff bushings installed in a few weeks and am pretty interested in the LPW diff cover. Good to know that it needs some modification itself. Do you think its worth it? What do the load bolts actually do? I don't know much about gears just trying to avoid a failure that seems pretty comon with Richmond.
I'm not a drag racer but I do drive her hard and agressive.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Just be sure to grind off some of the rib, or it will rub the frame. Look at the first two pics above. I'm sending pics and calling LPW on Monday to make them aware of this, so they can mod the covers before they ship them out.
mtcwby did you hear from lpw for having to grind off some of the case.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Ordered one of these today, nice looking piece.
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #21
mtcwby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE-B-TUNA View Post
Thanks for the post and pictures. I'm getting gears,billet caps,posi mod and diff bushings installed in a few weeks and am pretty interested in the LPW diff cover. Good to know that it needs some modification itself. Do you think its worth it? What do the load bolts actually do? I don't know much about gears just trying to avoid a failure that seems pretty comon with Richmond.
I'm not a drag racer but I do drive her hard and agressive.
Yes, I think it's worth it. Anything that will give you a little insurance is definitely worth it.
The load bolts put some preload against the carrier bearing caps to help keep them from flexing. If you've ever heard the drag racers talk about putting a girdle on their rear diff, this is what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
mtcwby did you hear from lpw for having to grind off some of the case.
Yes, I talked to LPW and they said mine was the only one touching the frame so far. But to be sure, since there's no way to know, they are doing a little extra machining on all the covers to be safe for all the cars.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Yes, I talked to LPW and they said mine was the only one touching the frame so far. But to be sure, since there's no way to know, they are doing a little extra machining on all the covers to be safe for all the cars.[/QUOTE]

Good to know.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
[QUOTE=mtcwby;3229806]Yes, I think it's worth it. Anything that will give you a little insurance is definitely worth it.
The load bolts put some preload against the carrier bearing caps to help keep them from flexing. If you've ever heard the drag racers talk about putting a girdle on their rear diff, this is what they are talking about.

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead with this.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #24
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
Quote:
Will double check fitment - but have to say the JRE boys lifted that bad boy right up into position - no grinding needed. But as said, will check clearance. Thanks for the heads-up.
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Do these come with the bushing already installed?
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
mtcwby

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Do these come with the bushing already installed?
No, but now would be a good time to install the Pfadt bushings!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
Irreverent
Banned

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 Inferno Orangle
Quote:
Got my LPW diff cover today, the notch was already machined. Nice product!
Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #28
mtcwby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreverent View Post
Got my LPW diff cover today, the notch was already machined. Nice product!
When I talked to them earlier this week they said they were going to machine them just to be sure that there would be no problems on anyone's cars. Nice to know that they listen to customer feedback!!
Show us some pics of the area that they machined.

Last edited by mtcwby; 05-19-2011 at 11:45 PM.
mtcwby is offline   Reply With Quote