Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Until we get more info on the Camaro I would say it's going to be very close in a straight line.

A base Scat Pack auto is 4 ,175 lbs roughly with the optional light weight wheels. That puts it at right about 8.6 hp/lb but it also puts it at 8.7 tq/lb

Hypothetically a 3,750lb auto SS with 455/455 would be 8.24 hp/lb and 8.24 tq/lb.

So the Scat Pack has a marginally worse hp per pound but equally marginally better torque per pound.

In a proper 1/4 mile drag I would say it's going to come down to who hooks best and doesn't spin.

The Challenger is no corner carver so it's not going to be a contest there.

As far as I know Dodge has no plans on adding DI to the Hemi, so the power ratings are unlikely to change.
It doesn't have better torque for its weight the camaro does.

The camaro 1ss will also probably be the best hp per dollar if priced where it should be. And handle circles around a challenger. You going to lose in back seat room... That's it.

The new 5.0 is at 12.4-12.5 hero run. Scat pack is at 12.2 (12.1 negative da). Who is referencing 12.8-13.0 in comparison to the best scat pack time ? I've seen plenty of auto new gts run mid 12s. They are all running more less a reflection of the power/weight. The gt is like 200 lbs heavier in some of the tests they have run.
It gained 15 hp. Why would it be faster than last year? Why is this a comparison to a car that picked up 30 hp. Lost 200lbs. And got an 8 speed auto lol ?
Don't worry the camaro will have plenty for the scat pack just wait...

GM has already stated it will set the benchmark in the segment. It's got better power to weight. Better torque to weight. Better aero. 8 speed auto as well.
They also had a scat pack to benchmark.

The camaro will beat the scat pack. A8 to A8. Mag time to mag time. Private owner times vs private owner. It's not going to beat the scat packs best private owner runs in its mag runs.... But plenty will still reference it.

Newmoon... Really simple question. What is the fastest challenger scat pack time in a mag? Ok now how about private owner ? Use them when comparing between other cars. Don't cross shop them to suit your argument. If the camaro runs a 12.5 in a mag that's solid. Especially if compared to the scat pack the same day running 12.6-7... Apples to apples

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 06-05-2015 at 11:41 AM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #16
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I want the Scat Pack Charger.. Bad.

ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post

But that front end is hideous....
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #18
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post

Like I've said before, if I have to get a 4 door next year when my lease is up...then it will be this Charger. I'm ok with the front end, looks better than the previous gen.

As far as the Challenger/Charger interior being 3rd place, I'm not so sure. To me Dodge has more features than the Mustang and the cockpit is laid out better, but I will agree it is less muscle/pony car than the Mustang.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
The front end looks amazing.. Especially in other pictures and in person. This is the first picture I've seen that I've been so-so regarding the front end. Anyway, beautiful car, comfortable, and damn fast.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #20
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
By the time the SS is on the road it will probably be hard to find a Scat pak owner willing to give a good race who hasn't ditched those sad factory donuts. I'm curious but too lazy to check the forums to see what they are running on a decent tire. I love the Chally but the tire offerings are almost as ridiculous as the color options. TWO shades of white? Seriously? It's a Challenger not a damn Volvo station wagon. Where's plum crazy? Probably still on some "limited edition" where you pony up an extra $5k to get a few trim pieces, seat embroidery and an ugly stripe kit.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #21
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
By the time the SS is on the road it will probably be hard to find a Scat pak owner willing to give a good race who hasn't ditched those sad factory donuts. I'm curious but too lazy to check the forums to see what they are running on a decent tire. I love the Chally but the tire offerings are almost as ridiculous as the color options. TWO shades of white? Seriously? It's a Challenger not a damn Volvo station wagon. Where's plum crazy? Probably still on some "limited edition" where you pony up an extra $5k to get a few trim pieces, seat embroidery and an ugly stripe kit.
11.9-12.0 on DR'S in average air

One white is bright white, the other is a Pearl Tri-Coat which is a $500 option. Plum Crazy is returning for MY 16, replacing Sublime.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #22
68fbjjz109

Drives: 15 GTPP, CUCV Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post

They made some nice improvements for 2015, but I assume they have to have something new coming in 2017? No latter than 2018? It's time to retire that chassis and it's starting to look a bit dated.
It may be well after 2018 before we see a Challenger replacement. There is literally nothing concrete for it. This being said the little information about what it might be could spell trouble for the Mustang and Camaro if FCA can keep similar power trains.

So with there current offerings being in the D and E segments. The consideration is to use a much smaller platform to flex from there.

This being said Mustang will have a Midcycle action, and Camaro will be up for one or will have one by then with how fast GM has shown to do MCA with there truck lineup.
68fbjjz109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #23
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
11.9-12.0 on DR'S in average air

One white is bright white, the other is a Pearl Tri-Coat which is a $500 option. Plum Crazy is returning for MY 16, replacing Sublime.
So are their some running ~11.5 bone stock with a dr then?

Or is 11.9 the fastest ever stock with a dr?

If 11.9 is average/ nothing special conditions I would expect an 11.5 or so hero run...or are you quoting it's best times as average?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #24
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Best times. That is what dodge fans do, compare the best dodge time to average mag times of other cars. You should listen to how fast they think 5.7 cars are. Very amuzing.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Best times. That is what dodge fans do, compare the best dodge time to average mag times of other cars. You should listen to how fast they think 5.7 cars are. Very amuzing.
I know exactly what your saying and what they run lol... Just wanted to see his reply.

12.1 is the best stock hero run in negative da correcting to 12.2.

I think 11.98 is the fastest ever recorded dr time.

Most guys on the site who are realistic know it is a 12.4-12.6 car on average bone stock a8 good conditions and good da. It is very fast. The camaro will best it by a tenth or two and a couple mph.

My guess is the camaro hero time will likely match the hero time if scat pack on Drs. ~11.9.

But for some reason a lot of guys even think the scat pack is 11s stock on stock tires. It won't end for the dodge guys even after a head to head comparison and private owner times come in. They have been in 3rd so long they are going to fight for it as long as they can... Published proof, physics and private owner times won't be enough to convince people in denial.

Right now some of them are using the zl1 to predict its performance using worst case scenario. A 500 lb heavier car with a different drivetrain and chassis. It's comical. I can do the same with a car that actually uses the same engine and an 8 speed transmission...A corvette that is about 3-400 lbs lighter. 11.3 hero run for stingray....that was easy. I'll put it 11.6-11.7 hero run for camaro bone stock. I doubt this highly... Just using the same flawed logic in reverse/ one that favors the 6th gen.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #26
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
So are their some running ~11.5 bone stock with a dr then?

Or is 11.9 the fastest ever stock with a dr?

If 11.9 is average/ nothing special conditions I would expect an 11.5 or so hero run...or are you quoting it's best times as average?
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...14/index8.html

Fastest recorded, period, on a DR is 11.87

The majority of runs seem to be floating between 12.2X and 12.5X on street, stock 245's.

I know you and IOMike are diehard loyalists, but plenty of people ran mid to low 13's in SS's but no one is trumpeting those as "average" times, in the early days no one would shut up about NHRAStocker running the 12.5's.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:58 PM   #27
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...14/index8.html

Fastest recorded, period, on a DR is 11.87

The majority of runs seem to be floating between 12.2X and 12.5X on street, stock 245's.

I know you and IOMike are diehard loyalists, but plenty of people ran mid to low 13's in SS's but no one is trumpeting those as "average" times, in the early days no one would shut up about NHRAStocker running the 12.5's.
Far as I knew it was always a hero run and I refer to it as such. Others may not. Any time a new stock record is set it gets attention. Just like you did. Your claimed hero time is a tenth from what you implied as average air. Same thing bro. Only I've never claimed an ls3 ss is a 12.5 car.

C5 has a neutered auto and manual times can be all over the place..... Especially with 20 inch rims and irs.

It's obvious what an ls3 camaro is capable of looking at its trap speed. The only people who think it's a mid 13 second car are challenger r/t owners who are the Michael Jordan's of cherry picking.

The stock fast list at c5 requires 12s to even be top 20 or so. It is a high 12 second car with proper driving and good conditions. A 12.5-12.6 is a hero run for an ls3 ss. And that much harder to do because it is a manual.

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 06-08-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #28

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fbjjz109 View Post
It may be well after 2018 before we see a Challenger replacement. There is literally nothing concrete for it. This being said the little information about what it might be could spell trouble for the Mustang and Camaro if FCA can keep similar power trains.

So with there current offerings being in the D and E segments. The consideration is to use a much smaller platform to flex from there.

This being said Mustang will have a Midcycle action, and Camaro will be up for one or will have one by then with how fast GM has shown to do MCA with there truck lineup.
Same here. From what I heard, as well, Mustang and Camaro will have some very stout competition. but than again like you said there is nothing concrete. And FCA has some internal issues going on and multiple projects have been delayed. Challenger was to debut in 2017 as a 2018 car but now its delayed and no one knows when it will be shown.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote