Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
2.77 but not only does the gen6 have smaller tires, effectively making shorter gears but first gear is 4.56, not 4.02 like the 6l80.

Still, I think something around 3.00 would be PERFECT.
Do you happen to know the trans ratios of the 6th gen vs the vette?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:22 AM   #16
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
You have a few L99 H/C, Bolt ons, and slick on the fast list currently In 10s... So I don't see why not.
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 AM   #17
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Easily and the norm with full weight and no trickery/ unknowns? Probably not. Will happen plenty... But most likely the hotter set ups.

Been a while since I looked at the fast list ( sold my car ) . But last time I knew some full weight or near full weight m6 cars got tens with h/c and maybe even cam only. Remember the l99 being close as well...

Should be much more common in the 6th. But usually tens aren't easy... Considering varying track prep and conditions. Basically the car probably won't be such an easy ten at cam only that it will be commonplace.

If I'm wrong... Awesome lol
Only 1 M6 in the 10s and 5 L99s in the 10s on motor, a stall and gears are classified as bolt on on 90% for the forums since its not touching the block. If things go well I think i can get a 6th gen close to the 10s with bolt-ons the fastest bolt-on 5th gens are @ 11.3-11.4s with removing the seats.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:48 AM   #18
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Wheels, tires, gears, converter, LT headers, Tune, CAI, ported IM & TB gets a full weight L99 car to high 11's so yeah I think with the same mods the A8 6th gen will run 10's. Easily do it with those mods and E85. I don't think its going to take a cam for a 6th gen A8 to get in the 10's. I think it can be done in 0 DA with full bolt ons. If the weight holds true of course.
damn right lol
I'll hopefully be one to push it lol
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Wheels, tires, gears, converter, LT headers, Tune, CAI, ported IM & TB gets a full weight L99 car to high 11's so yeah I think with the same mods the A8 6th gen will run 10's. Easily do it with those mods and E85. I don't think its going to take a cam for a 6th gen A8 to get in the 10's. I think it can be done in 0 DA with full bolt ons. If the weight holds true of course.
Maybe it will run 10s but I don't think it would be a full second faster than a similar L99
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #20
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Post of the day!
I do what I can :P
Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #21
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Do you happen to know the trans ratios of the 6th gen vs the vette?
2.41 for the standard and Z06, 2.73 for the Z51

ATS-V got 2.85.

1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6----7----8----R
4.56 2.97 2.08 1.69 1.27 1.00 0.85 0.65 3.82

1-----2-----3------4-------5-------6--------R
4.027 2.364 1.532 1.152 0.852 0.667 3.064
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #22
NASTY99Z28

Quote:
2.41 for the standard and Z06, 2.73 for the Z51

ATS-V got 2.85.

1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6----7----8----R
4.56 2.97 2.08 1.69 1.27 1.00 0.85 0.65 3.82

1-----2-----3------4-------5-------6--------R
4.027 2.364 1.532 1.152 0.852 0.667 3.064
So the trans ratios are the same for all 3 cars? Figured they would have stepped up first and second gear in the camaro because of the extra weight.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #23
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Or a Camaro since 1998.
Accidentally deleted the "minus cam swap" part of my post.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #24
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Only 1 M6 in the 10s and 5 L99s in the 10s on motor, a stall and gears are classified as bolt on on 90% for the forums since its not touching the block. If things go well I think i can get a 6th gen close to the 10s with bolt-ons the fastest bolt-on 5th gens are @ 11.3-11.4s with removing the seats.
I don't care what they are classified as. I consider a bolt on a somewhat quick and easy mod that's fairly cheap.

A stall where the tranny has to be removed and a gear swap that is obviously very pricey and time consuming. Far from just bolting it on.

I just think it sounds funny when a guy talks about a car being only simple bolt on but had to spend thousands on labor and was unable to do it himself realistically.

agree to disagree. I consider bolt ons exhaust, cai, bigs n littles, tune, pulleys, throttle body etc.... Stuff that can truly be bolted on and go in essence. Intake manifold I'm on the fence. Not removing a transmission and or a very expensive and technical gear swap most could never do themselves...

* just for reference I do most all my own mods besides gear swaps and tuning. Have done 3-4 h/c builds on lsx vehicles including my own... I have full access to a shop full of tools and a hoist.... And I won't consider a stall or gears a bolt on. I know what's involved lol. I'd do a cam swap before I would attempt gears ( if you want it done right and to last that is)
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:12 AM   #25
NASTY99Z28

Quote:
I don't care what they are classified as. I consider a bolt on a somewhat quick and easy mod that's fairly cheap.

A stall where the tranny has to be removed and a gear swap that is obviously very pricey and time consuming. Far from just bolting it on.

I just think it sounds funny when a guy talks about a car being only simple bolt on but had to spend thousands on labor and was unable to do it himself realistically.

agree to disagree. I consider bolt ons exhaust, cai, bigs n littles, tune, pulleys, throttle body etc.... Stuff that can truly be bolted on and go in essence. Intake manifold I'm on the fence. Not removing a transmission and or a very expensive and technical gear swap most could never do themselves...

* just for reference I do most all my own mods besides gear swaps and tuning. Have done 3-4 h/c builds on lsx vehicles including my own... I have full access to a shop full of tools and a hoist.... And I won't consider a stall or gears a bolt on. I know what's involved lol. I'd do a cam swap before I would attempt gears ( if you want it done right and to last that is)
Well normally its "bolt ons" plus stall and gears. Bolton's are normally kept to just the engine but some would group it together because it isn't a internal engine mod. Stall swaps are easier than cam swaps but gears do suck!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #26
62nalide

Quote:

Hey racing isn't a cheap hobby, so 10% say a stall and gears are not considered bolt one based on price and labor so it shouldn't be classified? To me $300 for converter install and $450 for gear install is pretty damn cheap but that's just me. I see your point of view but it's not touching the motor and funny how pretty much all forums have them under the bolt on list. I'm guessing a clutch on a M6 car will be the same?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #27
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Hey racing isn't a cheap hobby, so 10% say a stall and gears are not considered bolt one based on price and labor so it shouldn't be classified? To me $300 for converter install and $450 for gear install is pretty damn cheap but that's just me. I see your point of view but it's not touching the motor and funny how pretty much all forums have them under the bolt on list. I'm guessing a clutch on a M6 car will be the same?
Your opinion is fine and more popular than mine i won't argue.
I don't always choose to follow norms or popular opinion.

I was looking at well over 1000 dollars total price with parts to just switch gears on my 2010. Which still left it with a weak rear end and axles. Gears in my opinion were a big undertaking to do it right/ hold up to drag use. The term bolt on is misleading and why I take issue.

It's just annoying when guys talk about their cars as just a bolt on car and boast it's incredible performance for only being " bolt on"... It downplays the time/ money/ effort that was put into the car... In turn inflating its image. This is even further blown out of proportion to the uninformed person. I'm wondering how easy it will be to remove the tranny in the 2016? Bet it won't be 300 dollar child's play that the average person will pay at a performance shop...

Example...10 second bolt on mustang 5.0. Lot of the owners take it as meaning they can throw on a tire and do exhaust and tune and the car will run tens. I did some research... Just the tip of the ice burg for this to happen was 500 lbs weight reduction. Among a crap load of other small details people will overlook and simply call the car a "bolt on" performer. The work required deserves much more than this simple term in my opinion.

Basically what I'm getting at is the term " bolt on" is misleading and infers simplicity and little effort to some people.

Btw...300 labor for stall is bargain basement. The stalls themselves on top of that are about 1000 bucks. If the guy is good and did it right I wouldn't even do it myself if I could get it that cheap. I was a mechanic for ten years. The only tranny removal I did for 300 bucks was 700r4 on a Chevy truck lol. I charged around 500 on average (depends on car) and was cheaper than most people in my neck of the woods. I never tack on shop supplies or tax either... Like most places. I was Just a shade tree mechanic...

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 05-22-2015 at 07:50 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
62nalide

Quote:
Your opinion is fine and more popular than mine i won't argue.
I don't always choose to follow norms or popular opinion.

I was looking at well over 1000 dollars total price with parts to just switch gears on my 2010. Which still left it with a weak rear end and axles. Gears in my opinion were a big undertaking to do it right/ hold up to drag use. The term bolt on is misleading and why I take issue.

It's just annoying when guys talk about their cars as just a bolt on car and boast it's incredible performance for only being " bolt on"... It downplays the time/ money/ effort that was put into the car... In turn inflating its image. This is even further blown out of proportion to the uninformed person. I'm wondering how easy it will be to remove the tranny in the 2016? Bet it won't be 300 dollar child's play that the average person will pay at a performance shop...

Example...10 second bolt on mustang 5.0. Lot of the owners take it as meaning they can throw on a tire and do exhaust and tune and the car will run tens. I did some research... Just the tip of the ice burg for this to happen was 500 lbs weight reduction. Among a crap load of other small details people will overlook and simply call the car a "bolt on" performer. The work required deserves much more than this simple term in my opinion.

Basically what I'm getting at is the term " bolt on" is misleading and infers simplicity and little effort to some people.

Btw...300 labor for stall is bargain basement. The stalls themselves on top of that are about 1000 bucks. If the guy is good and did it right I wouldn't even do it myself if I could get it that cheap. I was a mechanic for ten years. The only tranny removal I did for 300 bucks was 700r4 on a Chevy truck lol. I charged around 500 on average (depends on car) and was cheaper than most people in my neck of the woods. I never tack on shop supplies or tax either... Like most places. I was Just a shade tree mechanic...
$1,000 for swapping gears? Damn I had GPI witch is a Chevrolet dealer also do it and it sure wasn't that high. How or why do you say its a weak rear-end? I bought the car new in 2013 and now has 25K drag racing miles cutting 1.49 60fts and never had an issue. Out here (TX) $300 for a converter swap is a normal price done by Billy Ray Motorsports (witch has the record for the fastest 5th gen in the texas mile) Also it shouldn't matter the time/money/effort others put into their own cars. I hate hearing people who get whooped at the track buy a car making less power throw that card well you have more money, more parts, more gear in your car etc...... it's not their problem or money going into it so why worry about that?

Not getting into a pissing match just stating my opinion