Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-29-2023, 08:44 PM   #15
2010BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
I run a Rx, closed loop, catch can. Did the shop block off the fresh air feed from the intake tube?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
You can use a check valved breather for the oil filler.
My Mighty Mouse catch can acts as a breather with a check valve. I can reroute the hoses at any time to reinstate the PCV system and still have the MM catch can to act as a one way breather to relieve crank case pressure. Just haven’t decided if I want to.

Mods: GPI SS1 VVT cam; GPI ported heads; GPI ported TB; GPI Rod Mod intake manifold; Vararam CAI; TSP 2" LT headers; TSP 3" exhaust; Mighty Mouse Wild catch can; 3.91 GM gears; Truetrac; LPW diff. cover; Whiteline diff. bushings; NT555RII drag radials (315/35R20)
2010BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 09:09 PM   #16
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I personally would definitely would recommend a pcv system over a vented style any day over a vented style system for a couple reasons. First of all it, there is now way you could ever pass an emissions test...
No emissions tests in my state.

Quote:
Second, your not pulling those gases from you engine so your eventually going to have sludge build up in your engine because of all the vapors just sitting in your engine not really going anywhere and a vented set up doesn't pull the gases out like a pcv system which can be reburned caused by blow by.
This is my foremost concern. I don't want to ruin the engine. I just wonder if the these concerns are real or over exaggerated.

Quote:
So which one should you use? I personally like the Mishimoto one https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...2010-2015.html mainly because of the cool mounting location and the compact design of it.
Appreciate the recommendation, my friend.

Quote:
One thing that a lot of people don't know about is the tuning though. If they tuned your car with the vented style catch can it could possibly change your idle a little bit. You might not even notice it and if you don't I wouldn't worry about it but if you experience any idle problems then You will probably have to adjust you base running airflow in your tune which is very simple.
I'm having my tune touched up next month. That's why I'm polling the knowledgeable people here. I want to route the PCV/catch can in its permanent configuration before the tune.

Quote:
Other then that I think I would swap to a true pcv system and you won't even notice and performance issues what so ever.
Thanks for weighing in. Appreciate the feedback.

Mods: GPI SS1 VVT cam; GPI ported heads; GPI ported TB; GPI Rod Mod intake manifold; Vararam CAI; TSP 2" LT headers; TSP 3" exhaust; Mighty Mouse Wild catch can; 3.91 GM gears; Truetrac; LPW diff. cover; Whiteline diff. bushings; NT555RII drag radials (315/35R20)
Old 06-29-2023, 09:19 PM   #17
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Get in touch with mighty mouse, I don't believe that is how his catch cans are designed to work.
I did reach out to MM. They confirmed that the can is not hooked up to work as intended in an active PCV system. However, the can is hooked up correctly to act as a one way vent to relieve excess crank case pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
From your description, there is no controlled flow of crankcase gasses to the can. His vent to atmosphere in an overpressure situation but you still need to pull vacuum to help evacuate and catch contaminants in the can.
Correct. As it is set up now, there is no active evacuation of crank case gasses. The gases vent only if there is crank case pressure. I'm trying to determine if the vented setup is as bad as some say and if the pros outweigh the cons.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:24 PM   #18
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Maybe I'm missing something in the details. Does not say, an Elite catch can, simply mount in-line where the stock PCV tube ran? I do have a fresh air source coming from the GM CAI but the can is simply in line. No other connections. Is this a "correct" arrangement?
If you wish to keep an active PCV system, the catch can is installed inline on the dirty side of the PCV system. If you have an L99, this means the catch can is installed between driver side valve cover and the vacuum port of the intake manifold.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:31 PM   #19
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
I do understand what the OP is saying about driving an older Camaro and growing a little bored with the performance aspect. Still mostly enough for me but it seems most things that want to run me at a light, beat me. An 8 year old, 400HP L99 Camaro is becoming a bottom feeder on the modern performance scale.
This is something I just could not tolerate. At minimum, my car better be door to door with whoever lines up next to me.
I'll say this, since the cam install, there has not been a single stock Mustang, Camaro (5th or 6th gen), or Scat Pack I haven't beat. I have also been door to door with a 10 speed Mustang with headers and a modified Taurus SHO with all wheel drive.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:35 PM   #20
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
I run a Mighty Mouse catch can and the filter breather on top only vents under boost. When the catch can is under vacuum and vacating the crankcase, the flapper valve in the breather closes. It's meant to help the crankcase get rid of any blowby pressure during boost. If your MM can has both hoses going to valve covers, it might be hooked up wrong.
It is not hooked up as intended for an active PCV system, but it is hooked up as intended to vent crank case pressure without keeping the PCV system. I just need someone to tell me if the dangers of this setup are overblown or if I should reinstate my PCV system.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:07 PM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackCamaroSS View Post
This is something I just could not tolerate. At minimum, my car better be door to door with whoever lines up next to me.
I'll say this, since the cam install, there has not been a single stock Mustang, Camaro (5th or 6th gen), or Scat Pack I haven't beat. I have also been door to door with a 10 speed Mustang with headers and a modified Taurus SHO with all wheel drive.
I hear ya. Pretty frustrating at times but I live in Calunicornia. While not impossible, major mods tend to be a problem at smog time. I'd love a stage 2 cam and had a 'conversation' with a smog shop recently. Still, I'd gain what, 50-75 HP? With a tune. That -might- give me an edge over an Infiniti Q50 but a lot Mustangs and Hellcats are so far out of a mostly stock L99's league. I'm 67 and retired so big money mods or racing motors are kinda out.

I know I'm whining but it is what it is.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:34 AM   #22
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:

But maybe I'll beat them in the Reliability Dept!
Definitely in the looks and coolness departments!
Old 06-30-2023, 06:18 AM   #23
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
It is not hooked up as intended for an active PCV system, but it is hooked up as intended to vent crank case pressure without keeping the PCV system. I just need someone to tell me if the dangers of this setup are overblown or if I should reinstate my PCV system.
I think it really depends on how often you drive your car and if the oil gets up to full operating temperature to burn off the contaminants.

I can tell you my MM catch can collects more water (and who knows what) vapor than oil and I'm thinking it's a good thing to get those out of the crankcase.

That said, my setup is a bit different but fundamentally the same as what you are asking about.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:02 AM   #24
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Not sure if this is any help or not, or how it should be, but I am running an RX catch can on my setup. When we installed the LOD intake manifold my tuner deleted the PCV system to "clean up" the look more. On my catch can they have the inlet port hooked to the valley tray nipple, the out port hooked to the back of the manifold, the driver side valve cover nipple capped off, and the passenger side valve cover nipple connected to my intake air tube pre TB and after the MAF. Seems to work alright as I have just a small amount of oil in the can every second oil change. Also I have a vented filter with a check valve in it on my passenger side valve cover. Not sure if that's good or not, but all seems good so far.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:27 AM   #25
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
That's the equivalent of a normal operating pcv system. You just have the vacuum source at the back of the intake instead of on the side of the intake and your valley cover has the pcv valve under it. So your pulling your gasses our from the valley area instead of from the valve cover. That's just another way to do it if you have that valley cover and there's nothing wrong with that.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #26
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
That's the equivalent of a normal operating pcv system. You just have the vacuum source at the back of the intake instead of on the side of the intake and your valley cover has the pcv valve under it. So your pulling your gasses our from the valley area instead of from the valve cover. That's just another way to do it if you have that valley cover and there's nothing wrong with that.
Hey Joe, if you were referring to me, yea I have the LS3 valley cover from when we did the LS3 conversion. Not sure what's under the port on it, never paid any attention to the underside.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:00 PM   #27
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Hey Joe, if you were referring to me, yea I have the LS3 valley cover from when we did the LS3 conversion. Not sure what's under the port on it, never paid any attention to the underside.
Yes sir I was referring to your set up
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #28
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Yes sir I was referring to your set up
Cool, kinda thought so. I believe this is the one I have on my engine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...9296?rrec=true