Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
NJ20102SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
You should stop by n find out when it going to be done and if not this weekend u should call Jerry from Ideal Garage n have him do the work. He is a vendor on this site and does excellent work
Thanks for the response. I'm stopping by there tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation for another place to take it.....I assume theyre in NJ too.
NJ20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #16
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
All depends on the place. My body shop has had my car for two weeks because of a ton of upgrades and a week of paint. But he calls me every two days with updates and that's why I always go back to him. Even if nothing happened or it's just paint drying he still calls me. Also lets me send any parts I need to his store big or small so that I don't have to stuff everything into the car

Just find a good shop and then stick with them
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #17
JLBIII

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
County Corvette in West Chester, PA did my cam and mods install. Got an update with photos during every stage of the install. Very happy with their work and turn around time. Car was kept in their garage from day one. They're not too far from S. Jersey either.

JB
JLBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #18
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If they've had your car for that long just stop by or give em a ring. Won't hurt anything and who knows maybe it's already done. If they haven't started then find out why not and either give them the chance to make it right or take your business elsewhere! That simple

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #19
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I have had cars in the shop for months on big builds. Custom pistons best case are two weeks and can be as long as 8 weeks. You can't order them until you tear down the engine. With larger builds scope creep sets in. As long as we have gone this far let's do this.

The build you describe is something that seems reasonably predictable. When you see the shop owner or manager ask for a completion date. That is very reasonable and serves the interest of the customer and shop.

So how long do you think this build will take?

Day 1

Day 4

Day 12

The motor was a basket case.

So how long will it take to finish???
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #20
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
for my cam swap the shop had my car for about 4 days, but I had all the parts for them to install.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #21
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I tend to order the parts myself, work with my shop to schedule a date and bring it in when all is ready my guy has the work done pretty quick, he a car guy like me and is very particular how things are done, he understands my request for working on the car and respects them at all times. My biggest issue is get the car to him and getting it home, I will not drive the car in poor weather (rain, snow) and that tends to hold up work when I have work scheduled.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #22
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Did you ask how long it would take or set an agreed upon completion date with the shop before signing work and dropping off? I my self always work with any shop to find out when they estimate it will be done. And work with them to an agreed date even if I have to change the drop off date sooner or later depending on their work load.

Any work with a shop should be a two way streak. We as customers can not assume all shops will excel and exceed our expectations. That is not fair to them and leads to less than desired experiences. Set delviery dates and regular updates intervals. Let them know you would like status reports if they can or if they don't mind if you drop in from time to time to check on progress and discuss the build when they are free. Like get there a bit before opening to chat for a minute.
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
11 days is way too long for that work. They must be working on other projects. I would be upset.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
NJ20102SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Well...just went to the place to see what was going on with my car. And, just as I thought, its now 12 days since I dropped it off and it hasn't been touched yet. Un f@$!n believable! Going back in a little bit to pick it up.
NJ20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I am in DC for the fourth. Meet me half way and I'll bring it back to my shop. When complete, I can trailer it back half way.

My mobile is 616-834-8100
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #26
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Wow! Thats ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ20102SS View Post
Well...just went to the place to see what was going on with my car. And, just as I thought, its now 12 days since I dropped it off and it hasn't been touched yet. Un f@$!n believable! Going back in a little bit to pick it up.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #27
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Did you already pay them for the parts?

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #28
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ20102SS View Post
Be sure and check your mileage, in case they decided to joy ride it for two weeks. Seriously, some of these horror stories about performance shops. Guess mine is staying stock until I can do it myself.

Feel lucky they didn't pull the trick of starting it, throwing all the parts in the trunk until they can get to it, and holding it hostage in that state. Especially the ones that want you to pay a "parts deposit"...ef that.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote