Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #15
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
There are literally thousands of complaints that most of these early FCA systems are not nearly as good as the claims. Issues with falsing with no traffic in front. A car parked on a side sheet or one stopped at a intersecting road triggering a hard hit on the brakes at highway speed (and almost causing an accident for the car behind you). The tech for many of these systems is no better than blind spot detection and subject to the same kinds of falses.

I do believe some of the systems are much better. I've read quite a bit about the one used in the LX cars, which in particular is terrible. It's a shame these things are used to improve a crash rating which IMO is counter-productive. Avoiding a crash because the average driver is distracted is not improving a car's safety...it's overcoming a risky driver.
Yup, the Traverse did that this weekend. Was in my neighborhood, going between 2 parked cars. Evidently it thought I was going to hit one, so it did its little alarm.

And that illustrates a worse problem. I've gotten way too many alarms where there shouldn't be alarms. Now, I ignore them. Just like the little boy who cried wolf.

If it ever goes off, and it's for real, there's no way I'll be paying attention to it, and I'll still get in a wreck.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Pre Collision Assist (with Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking) and Lane Keeping Aid.
My take for this part of the Euro ratings comes down to this: for anybody who can't cope with what those new nannies are intended to "fix", continuously in real time without assistance, there's a strong possibility that that person isn't qualified to be driving. Driving is still legally a privilege, not an inalienable right.

00 Trans Ram - I wonder how long it's going to take the safety industry to realize that the more warnings their technologies throw at us, the greater the likelihood that the nannies themselves become distractions . . . or whether they'll just keep inventing new [stuff] for reasons more involved with job security.

Norm
Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #17
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
My take for this part of the Euro ratings comes down to this: for anybody who can't cope with what those new nannies are intended to "fix", continuously in real time without assistance, there's a strong possibility that that person isn't qualified to be driving. Driving is still legally a privilege, not an inalienable right.

00 Trans Ram - I wonder how long it's going to take the safety industry to realize that the more warnings their technologies throw at us, the greater the likelihood that the nannies themselves become distractions . . . or whether they'll just keep inventing new [stuff] for reasons more involved with job security.

Norm
Ain't that the truth!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote