Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #253
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Spanking is known as negative rewards and has been proven to be effective through studies. I'm not saying to go to town on your kids, but effective corporal punishment is when you tell them what you did wrong and then you administer the punishment. It isn't like when I was a kid, they'd just start beating my ass if I did something out of line.

I've got a super clean criminal record and my parents are to thank for that. It isn't because I'm afraid to get spankings now, its because through the years and through discipline, it got embedded into my subconscious mind that certain things yield bad rewards.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #254
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
Uh, I got spanked and never shot anyone in school. My ex wife who believed only in time out's kid has been to jail three times since turning 18. He's 20 now.
Maybe not to this extreme but I guarantee you this is the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Spanking is known as negative rewards and has been proven to be effective through studies. I'm not saying to go to town on your kids, but effective corporal punishment is when you tell them what you did wrong and then you administer the punishment. It isn't like when I was a kid, they'd just start beating my ass if I did something out of line.

I've got a super clean criminal record and my parents are to thank for that. It isn't because I'm afraid to get spankings now, its because through the years and through discipline, it got embedded into my subconscious mind that certain things yield bad rewards.
^^Exactly...

It totally cracks me up when people refer to spanking as beating or cruel punishment LOL. They are normally the worst parents.

My wife used to babysit two kids whose parents didn't believe in spanking etc... They were great kids who played all day with happy smiles on their faces until the moment the parents drove up in the driveway. It was like flipping a switch as they became holy terrors crying and whining and slapping their parents in the face and demanding everything.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #255
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I beg to differ on that one. I was spanked as a child if I messed up and you know what . I learned not to do bad things and I also learned respect for my elders which youth of today are sorely lacking .
I had three kids, now 23, 22, and 20. none ever spanked, not once. none have ever been in trouble, don't smoke, drink or do drugs, and all working full time jobs. 1 has moved out to start her own life, one is leaving in july.

what exactly is your point?

the problem in this country isn't a lack of beatings. the fact that more than half the children born in this country are born out of wedlock and raised by single parents is a far greater contributor to the current situation than a lack of beatings. do you realize that about 85% of the prison population was raised by single mothers? not sure what percentage was beaten as children, but I'd be willing to bet it's significantly high too. at any rate, my wife and I decided early on we wanted our kids to respect us, not be afraid of us.

Last edited by jd10013; 05-02-2015 at 07:53 AM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #256
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Just to start our sexist portion of the thread, I think girls are a different than boys when it comes to this. I never spank my girls either, not because I'm opposed to the idea, but I don't really need to. They know that all the things they like to do are dependent on their behavior and when they do act up, they respond to other forms of consequences.

I don't know that spanking works, didn't seem to work for me. I didn't get spanked a lot, but I grew up with two parents who were quite normal; however, I was attracted to doing wrong. I probably needed to fear the consequences a little more than I did. I liked hanging out with the kids raised by single moms. I remember some of them saying they wanted to be friends with their kids. That did not work out so well for them.

There are tons of variables and no absolutes. One thing I do know is when people frame an argument in a manner that tries to shame other parties, it's probably in one of the tails of the reality curve.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 05-02-2015 at 09:31 AM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #257
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
My 6 year old son gets a big kick out of picking his nose then have our dog eat his booger. God, I hope he grows up normal.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #258
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
My 6 year old son gets a big kick out of picking his nose then have our dog eat his booger. God, I hope he grows up normal.
I don't know man, I still do that and it cracks me up too. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #259
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlem View Post
Don't go away mad, Austin, just go away.

I'm not mad at all.
And I shall not go away. You can block me, or you can continue to see me. it is up to you. I won't make your choices for you, you can make choices of your own now.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #260
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430582236828.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  90.7 KB
Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #261
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
I had three kids, now 23, 22, and 20. none ever spanked, not once. none have ever been in trouble, don't smoke, drink or do drugs, and all working full time jobs. 1 has moved out to start her own life, one is leaving in july.
It is possible that your methods of raising them is what resulted in how they turned out, but it is also possible that some people maybe can't respond to learning from example, or perhaps some parents do not set the right examples, and in which case it is entirely possible that the spanking is the only method that they are capable of responding to and learning from. Who knows.

Some people who were spanked as kids turned out bad anyways.
Some people who were spanked as kids turned out good.
Some people who were not spanked as kids turned out bad anyways.
Some people who were not spanked as kids turned out good.

That being the case, I don't think the deciding factor all the time was whether or not spankings were applied.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #262
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Fugg spanking. Teach them the broken windows theory while they're young...every crime comes with consequences.

And if you make the consequences count, deterrence is a great factor. We used it with Russia in the Cold War (we had nukes and just THREATENED to use them to keep peace).

ONCE...

TWICE....

Third time probably don't need mentioning.

Be good for goodness' sake!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #263
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
It is possible that your methods of raising them is what resulted in how they turned out, but it is also possible that some people maybe can't respond to learning from example, or perhaps some parents do not set the right examples, and in which case it is entirely possible that the spanking is the only method that they are capable of responding to and learning from. Who knows.

Some people who were spanked as kids turned out bad anyways.
Some people who were spanked as kids turned out good.
Some people who were not spanked as kids turned out bad anyways.
Some people who were not spanked as kids turned out good.

That being the case, I don't think the deciding factor all the time was whether or not spankings were applied.

I'm not so much saying beatings don't work so much as they're unnecessary. My parents beat the hell out of me when I was a kid, and that fear of god they put in me and my sibling definitely kept me out of trouble, at least major trouble. my opinion is more that if you have to resort to physical discipline to control your kids, keep them out of trouble through pain and fear; well, you've probably failed as a parent. it's certainly the easier route, but not one I ever wanted to take.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #264
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
op sorry bout car... this post; complete waste
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #265
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I'd hire some kids to fight them
pay them with candy, no paper trail
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #266
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxcc6spd View Post
Hoping to have some facts today.

From discussions with my bodyshop, he's guessing about $8,000 just to paint the car. This doesn't include body work, glass replacement, wheel damage, lights, trim, etc.

Still hopeful for a total.
You won't be close to a total, you'll still come out less than $15k. There have been crash threads on here where the repair bill was over $20k with structural damage and wasn't totaled.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote