Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-08-2020, 12:49 AM   #239
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Lots of the so-called "imports" are made in America, you know...

https://www.american.edu/kogod/resea...auto-index.cfm
Still an Import. Once a Marine, always a Marine. For every foreign car built in the usa there was an american job lost to it. When they shuttered our GM plant there were over 5000 jobs that disappeared here. It caused an awful number of unemployed people. Try to buy a Camaro built in Japan.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:24 AM   #240
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
On the other side of the coin, competition has pushed American cars forward. Imagine none of the European or Japanese sports cars can make it here. Do you think Camaro would be as capable as they are today? As the customer, we benefit from that.

And I don't think GM moving some of its plants to Mexico exactly has much to do with "imports".

Personally, with my car purchase, I really don't care about the brand, counrtry, etc. Whatever matches my need is what I buy.

Speaking of built in Japan, I bought a pair of OEM windshield wipers from the dealer. Made in Japan. Huh, go figure.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:39 AM   #241
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
I've been away from the forums for a long time, but here's a list in no order of all the problems i've been having.. so far, its living up to the claim..

Starter burned out ( one month after warranty )
Radiator cracked ( 3 months after warranty )
Rear differential destroyed ( after telling the ****in dealship time and time again that the grinding sound is not "normal for cold starts" as they kept saying and brushed it off time after time smh... at least i had on record proof that its been a noted concern i've brought in that they refused to check prior to waiting on it failing and needing a full replacement... warranty covered this )

there's 2 or 3 other issues i've had but i cant remember. in the last year tho is when everything began to fall apart... I'm the only owner of my car since i got it march 3rd of 2016... this car isn't looking like it was designed to last, unfortunately..

You got a lemon. All car makers have those.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:42 AM   #242
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
There are no imports at my house and my children don't drive imports either. That's not to say that our domestic vehicles don't contain some import parts but that goes back to politicians.
All my vehicles are and have been of the big 3. Never been let down.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:43 AM   #243
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Lots of the so-called "imports" are made in America, you know...

https://www.american.edu/kogod/resea...auto-index.cfm
Yeh... and all the big profits go back to there home country.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #244
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I always tell people to follow the money.

I had a discussion with a guy years ago and his son's hopes for an engineering job after college led to discussing his Honda, an import.

"Oh no, it's not an import", he said, "I bought it from American Honda"
Old 08-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #245
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I had a discussion with a guy years ago and his son's hopes for an engineering job after college led to discussing his Honda, an import.

Some people are just ignorant and brainwashed. They refuse to believe facts over truth.All cars are created equal.....you, you know the thang!

Last edited by Deputy Dog; 08-08-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: o
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #246
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Fair, but that implies that you are also fine with American car manufacturers building cars outside of America as long as the big profit goes to America. Doesn't play too well with the American jobs argument when you look at the manufacturing side.

The problem I see is that you are assuming cooperations actually care that much about patriotism. They don't, they care about profits. Sometimes it just happens that an ideology aligns with profits, that's all there is to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

IMO Honda America is really more American than Japanese nowadays. In the past, they are different across markets(a European/Japanese Accord used to be sold as an Acura TSX in North America). The new Civic and Accord are designed by Honda America. Very little, if any Japanese involvement.

So while the parent company is foreign(if that's the only thing that matters to you), the engineering and manufacturing is done in America. Everyone has a different way to gauge things, I suppose.

Sent from toaster or something

Past:
Old 08-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #247
acniv

Drives: Chev Camaro
'Statistics' are what people make them.
acniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #248
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Well I guess it all depends what your definition of "is" is....
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #249
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Fair, but that implies that you are also fine with American car manufacturers building cars outside of America as long as the big profit goes to America. Doesn't play too well with the American jobs argument when you look at the manufacturing side.

The problem I see is that you are assuming cooperations actually care that much about patriotism. They don't, they care about profits. Sometimes it just happens that an ideology aligns with profits, that's all there is to it.
IMO Honda America is really more American than Japanese nowadays. In the past, they are different across markets(a European/Japanese Accord used to be sold as an Acura TSX in North America). The new Civic and Accord are designed by Honda America. Very little, if any Japanese involvement.

So while the parent company is foreign(if that's the only thing that matters to you), the engineering and manufacturing is done in America. Everyone has a different way to gauge things, I suppose.

Sent from toaster or something
Actually it plays very well because of the cars American companies sell over seas are limited to the amount that can be sold to each country. So its not a free and open market or level playing field. The foreign cars sold in the US have no limits.

Yes some of the engineering is done in America with the approval of Japan. You can also believe that much of the component in the car are stamped with made in Japan.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #250
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Actually it plays very well because of the cars American companies sell over seas are limited to the amount that can be sold to each country. So its not a free and open market or level playing field. The foreign cars sold in the US have no limits.

Yes some of the engineering is done in America with the approval of Japan. You can also believe that much of the component in the car are stamped with made in Japan.
The last statement is actually addressed with the link I posted earlier. In some Honda cars, a lot of parts are made in US and Canada, more than some of the Big 3 cars, if that's your concern.

Personally I am all for American cars if they are good products. In my opinion, the Camaro is one.

Being in Canada, if I really wanted something more Canadian, I would have picked up a Catfish or 5th Gen Camaro(which are assembled in Canada). The 6th Gen is much better though, so here I am.

Past:
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #251
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Just my input. Go to your local BMW dealer and see if those cars have orange peel in the paint-- they do. Go and look at Hondas. If you go through a whole lot of them they have maybe the worst orange peel ever.

I got my wife an 09 Accord V6 EX-L. Car currently has 145K on it. Had the camshaft replaced and I have never owned a car where it has so many class action lawsuits on it. It goes thru brakes like we go through under wear . I also had the problem of fouling spark plugs. First time it did it I took it to a local Honda dealer and the Service Manager and he said he has a Honda V6 in the shop at least one a week for the same problem. Then there was the oil consumption problem. Honda had to increase the engine warranty to 8 years 120K miles. So 3 class action lawsuits one for the plugs, one for the brakes and one for the oil consumption. A class action lawsuit is a serious deal as it represents a large number of verified complaints that haven't been addressed by the manufacturer in a satisfactory way.

An enormous amount of vehicles have had oil consumption problems, Audi, VW, BMW, Honda and I even think Toyota had some engine problems.

My Camaro has had two problems. One is a panel gap behind driver side door. The other was the groaning rear end when turning left and it is cold. Both have been resolved and I find the car pretty darned reliable. Go and look at a few Mustangs and look at their fit and finish. I haven't had any problems with the A8 and actually w/o those problems it would be a great transmission. I live in a hilly area and I love how it grade brakes going down hills. It is actually a smart transmission.

Finally I'm a person who doesn't say a car is good until it shows me over time. So far so good for the Camaro but for the price/performance it is one of the great values out there. I looked at a ton of cars and the Camaro is the best that I found for price/performance. Go drive a WRX and tell me how that drives? Base GT Mustang handles like garbage. Throttle mapping is horrible. Leased an Audi Q3 for my wife and as it regards drive ability it is actually the worst car I have ever owned . You go around a turn and of course brake going in and then go to get on the pedal and you push, and push, and push and finally it takes off. Glad I leased it and glad it is hers and not mine.

BTW if you don't like the seats or the trunk or the visibility that isn't a "reliability grade" of the car. It is just a choice that you made.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #252
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
^ Yeah, my Dad's 2010 Prius I believe it was burned 1qt of oil every 1,000 miles or so... Always saw the proper synthetic and OCI. He eventually got rid of it because of that.

My 2008 xB start burning oil after about 100K, which isn't bad at all. But I was probably 1/2 qt every 5,000 miles.

Girlfriends Mazda 3 has air bag wiring short, in which they want over $1,200 to fix out of warranty. A/C failed a few months back, another $850 repair. Currently at 80,000 miles.

All cars have issues, it's the luck of the draw as far as I am concerned. I hit a home run on my xB though, it was the first model year (2008) and had zero issues outside of normal wear/tear items for it's 10 year life (150K miles) until it got totaled.

Hoping the Camaro can do the same for me!
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote