Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #225
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
Why does it lose at the track? With a set of tires and an tune it shouldnt be losing to an SS with the same mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Coolers and brakes.
Quote:
1/4 mile wont affect the cooling or brakes .... street tires are not good on either car regardless. Set of 285 Niitos on the back solve all issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I think Martin is referring to a track like a road course.
Scottyz is correct. 1/4 mile is at the dragstrip. High performance brakes and coolers are not necessary.

When people say TRACK, most of us here think Laguna Seca, Big Willow, etc. that’s why I bold highlighted track in my response. Do not attempt without proper brakes and cooling.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #226
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
I hought so....anyway I have 2 buddies.one with a 2022 lt1 with 10 speed and one with 2021 ss1le 10 speed. They have been trashing talking each other for a while now. We are heading to the track in late May....drag strip. Im curious to see the outcome.
It should pretty much be a drivers race, but if both drivers are equivalent skill, the LT1 should win. The 1LE is set up for track and is typically considered a tick slower than a 1SS in a 1/4 mile run. The stickier tires are designed more for track handling than dragstrip work. The 1LE is also heavier than the LT1.

Either way, you’re talking a tenth or so difference.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #227
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post, straight line acceleration (drag strip) there's not much difference, none in my opinion. It comes down to the driver. If that's your thing, I think the LT1 is a great car to start with.

On a track, ie oval, road race, etc. Races where you actually have to drive for more than 12 seconds at a time, and make turns, accelerate, decelerate, repeat, the LT1 will not be able to keep up with the SS. If that's your thing then the SS is a better choice.

Obviously just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
^^^ This all day and twice on Sundays.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #228
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous post, straight line acceleration (drag strip) there's not much difference, none in my opinion. It comes down to the driver. If that's your thing, I think the LT1 is a great car to start with.
Why start with? The SS gives zero advantage if I take it to the 1/4 mile track. The stock SS wheels and tires would come off just as fast as the LT1 wheels and tires. Magnetic ride doesn’t make launching easier.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #229
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:

On a track, ie oval, road race, etc. Races where you actually have to drive for more than 12 seconds at a time, and make turns, accelerate, decelerate, repeat, the LT1 will not be able to keep up with the SS. If that's your thing then the SS is a better choice.

Obviously just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
I get your point. But the lt1 was never designed for a road course so I didnt think much of it. And in reality most conversations about the lt1 are drag race related because of that.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #230
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
It should pretty much be a drivers race, but if both drivers are equivalent skill, the LT1 should win. The 1LE is set up for track and is typically considered a tick slower than a 1SS in a 1/4 mile run. The stickier tires are designed more for track handling than dragstrip work. The 1LE is also heavier than the LT1.

Either way, you’re talking a tenth or so difference.
The 1le has been a tenth or two slower then an SS since the 5th gen days.That tenth or two is 1 or 2 car lengths.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #231
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Scottyz is correct. 1/4 mile is at the dragstrip. High performance brakes and coolers are not necessary.

When people say TRACK, most of us here think Laguna Seca, Big Willow, etc. that’s why I bold highlighted track in my response. Do not attempt without proper brakes and cooling.
I see your point but I disagree with no tracking for the LT even on those tracks. The difference is how serious are you about tracking. With the same tires and driver both the SS and LT1 will run the same for a lap or two until the SS cooling will mantain a faster pace safely for longer. The LT1 owner can enjoy a beginner or mid level track day. But if you want to get more serious about lap times then get the SS or even better the SS 1LE.

As for Autocross, I am not sure the SS has much of an advantage on the same tires.

Any Gen 6 Camaro is your friend on a race track. Just bring the right tires. IMHO

Last edited by Fraxum; 05-02-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #232
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
Why start with? The SS gives zero advantage if I take it to the 1/4 mile track. The stock SS wheels and tires would come off just as fast as the LT1 wheels and tires. Magnetic ride doesn’t make launching easier.
Why start with? In my case it’s the 99.6% of the time it won’t be at the dragstrip. That’s why I have a 2SS. I want the heated / ventilated seats, HUD, mag-ride, interior lighting package, and all the other stuff that comes with the 2SS trim. And it’s why I have a convertible. It spends more time cruising around town with the top down than it does at any dragstrip.

But, when it’s time to go to the dragstrip, it can still kick much ass (I refuse to street race). If somebody else kicks my ass at the strip, good for ‘em. I’m there for driving fun and to continually improve my times. Hell, yesterday I lined up next to a GT500 that ran 11.25 to my 12.31. Before that I lined up next to a CTS-V that clocked 9.34 �� to my 12.38. Doesn’t make me go running to the parts store for a blower. I also ran an LT1 A10 coupe and kicked his ass. Then I showed him how to use launch control and he edged me out at the finish with a 12.26 to my 12.42.

For the few times I can find a road course that allows convertibles without rollcages, I’m in there, with minimal concern about overheating (verts don’t get axle coolers ). Every now and then M1 Concourse or Gingerman run events that I can participate in.

Last edited by Martinjlm; 05-02-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #233
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
I simply meant that if you're buying it to take it to the drag strip you will probably want to do more things, maybe different tires, try to reduce the weight some, whatever performance enhancers you want.

I didn't mean start with as in you would be better with a different trim level.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #234
Modernmusclecar

Quote:

I get you. Maybe the lt1 will take the 1le SS when my buddies and i hit the drag strip. Im going right now to send out a few texts to start the fur flying.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #235
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Ahhh some good old shite talking. Gotta love it. Let us know how you do. Good luck.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #236
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
I watched a 1LE win the overall stock manual class at Camaro fest. All the while he was bouncing back and forth between the drag strip and auto cross course. Pretty amazing feat.
I believe everything being equal the LT1 will be quicker in the 1/4 to the heavier 1LE. That said I was at NCM and had an LT1 behind me. I was able to pull away without much effort as the tires and brakes weren’t up to the task on the LT1. When you can get the LT1 for the correct price it’s a good value. So are the SS and 1LE variants. You do get quite a bit for the money. My only thing is I really don’t care for the front end on the LT1 but I definitely respect the performance at the strip.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #237
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Why start with? In my case it’s the 99.6% of the time it won’t be at the dragstrip. That’s way I have a 2SS. I want the heated / ventilated seats, HUD, mag-ride, interior lighting package, and all the other stuff that comes with the 2SS trim. And it’s why I have a convertible. It spends more time cruising around town with the top down than it does at any dragstrip.
So you’re saying the interior of your 2SS is vastly different than this? I have the same upgraded Recaros, 8 inch touchscreen, etc.

seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #238
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Ahhh some good old shite talking. Gotta love it. Let us know how you do. Good luck.
Haha.. i will get some vids and keep the thread updated.