Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #211
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
got a V6 camaro when I couldn't afford the V8, now I have a V8, if you can swing it there isn't a better way to go.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #212
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
its not possible that GM in their wisdom built camaros with everything from 1-4 turbos to monster v-8s,along with the various trim levels(leather,guages,RS,SS,and Z-28,etc) so that we could all order up just what we wanted to drive and pay for,is it?lets face it,for track rats and musclecar fanatics,the z-28 is the way to go.now if youre wanting a car to drive to work everyday in comfort,an RS is hard to beat.need to fry the tires and get there a few seconds sooner?the SS is just for you.every one of us has a different idea of what best...no need to fight about it,is there?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #213
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Ignoring my track time where I do use it all . . . fairly frequently, if only for very brief periods of time. Most commonly this is a matter of squeezing toward WOT driving through and out of the last turn on an Interstate highway entrance ramp, or getting on it for a couple of gears when entering a secondary highway from a side road.

What I've also found out over the years (I'm 68) is that I tend to drive to about the same performance regardless of what I'm driving. There's a stretch of road that I commonly take, and with rare exception I'm hitting the same speed within one or at most two mph as I pass a certain signpost. Doesn't matter if I'm in the Mustang, or the wife's Subie, or the 15 year old Maxima. Or even the 160 HP Mazda 626 that we owned until recently. Needless to say, I'm using a lighter foot when I'm in either of the first two cars on that list than I am in the other two, but basically I'm driving to what feels right as I look out the windshield rather than to some fixed fraction of whatever the potential of the car I happen to be driving might be. If that makes any sense.

"good enough" . . . about as I expected. Most people don't use their car's brakes hard enough often enough to appreciate the differences (which can be significant). Or pay much attention to the way a car responds to steering. Trust me, there is value in these subjectives, even though you'd be hard-pressed to put a $ value on them. Think in terms of confidence if you're out on a road course, and of a reduced tendency to be tentative or panicky on the street in sudden situations there.

I hope when you get to be my age that you don't look back on the automotive part of your life and regret that you hadn't bought a little more Camaro fun along the way instead of another 300 - 500 shares of GM stock (it closed at $29.93 this afternoon).

Norm
SPOT ON!

I hope I see a V6 on my way home! Is that OVERKILL by definition?
Old 08-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #214
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Who is ready for some football?
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #215
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
I've been watching Hawaii Five-O in Netflix. Just finished Season 2 and Danno has a V6 Camaro RS.
but he NEVER drives it! Steve always does... whats up with that???
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #216
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
but he NEVER drives it! Steve always does... whats up with that???
When his V6 was destroyed, Danno got a black V8 SS. Steve still drives it because it is an automatic.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #217
firestone70

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
But here's the kicker, if you are not drag racing or going to the track, then the additional performance upgrades and bigger engine are all OVERKILL because I'm getting the same compliments, turning of heads, and chicks that YOU GET but I paid $10k - $15k LESS, with lower gas costs and insurance costs [/QUOTE]

Sounds like you got your car strictly because of what other people think and say about it. I bought mine for myself and what I enjoy. If you want a V6 that is fine but buying a car just for looks and to fish for others to compliment it is like putting $3000 wheels and tires on a $2000 car. And most normal people do not need to use a car to find a lady. The gas cost is not that different and the insurance is related only to driving history and other factors. My insurance will be less on the SS than someone with a bad record and younger is on the V6.

It is all a choice. Buy what you like but do not talk out of your a$$ about others who disagree with you. It is your opinion and nothing else.
firestone70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #218
nobodyspecial

Drives: 30th and 45th Ann
I have a 2015 rental v6 convertible since Sunday. I have always preferred the v8 models because I felt like anything else was just settling. My owned Camaro is a 45th Ann v8 convertible. Driving the rental makes me feel like a piece of me died. Sorry v6 guys and gals, I gave this a chance and I truly do not enjoy this motor at all.
nobodyspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #219
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I want to enjoy some comfort, so a Z/28 was unlikely. And I couldn't afford a ZL1 and didn't know about a 1LE when I bought. I wanted it to be fast, I have enough cars that get "good gas mileage". I have zero use for a coupe that couldn't haul a$$. So I bought an SS and put a few goodies in it(still not enough). Anyone that says a V6 is just as good or gets the same compliments clearly isn't a car enthusiast or uses vehicles for approval from others for self worth. Call me an a$$hole, I don't care, just saying what everyone has to tiptoe around so as not to offend anyone.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #220
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
I have a 2015 rental v6 convertible since Sunday. I have always preferred the v8 models because I felt like anything else was just settling. My owned Camaro is a 45th Ann v8 convertible. Driving the rental makes me feel like a piece of me died. Sorry v6 guys and gals, I gave this a chance and I truly do not enjoy this motor at all.
I had an Ecoboost f150. It was faster the any of the ford V6 options at the time. I just couldn't get past the blender noise under the hood. I had to buy a Raptor to feel normal again.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #221
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone70 View Post
Sounds like you got your car strictly because of what other people think and say about it.
You can say that, when I buy a car these days here is the criteria:

- Total purchase costs no more than $22,000 because that's the car budget (I can GO MUCH higher in the budget, but I don't because again, this is a depreciating asset so I set my budget accordingly)

- Must be something that is considered "sporty" or a sports car

- Must be something that is considered relatively "cool" in general

- Must be something that is considered something women in general find sexy

That's the criteria. The Camaro I purchased along with the accessories (24 inch wheels and MRTv2) fit the criteria.

Quote:
I bought mine for myself and what I enjoy. If you want a V6 that is fine but buying a car just for looks and to fish for others to compliment it is like putting $3000 wheels and tires on a $2000 car.
Back when my car budget was $7,000 I would buy cars and add accessories to them so that it still came across with a "cool" look in general.

Quote:
And most normal people do not need to use a car to find a lady.
Well hey, to ME, if my car budget is over $20,000 then I'm going for the cool factor and something that women in general say turn them on. But that's ME lol.

Quote:
"good enough" . . . about as I expected. Most people don't use their car's brakes hard enough often enough to appreciate the differences (which can be significant). Or pay much attention to the way a car responds to steering. Trust me, there is value in these subjectives, even though you'd be hard-pressed to put a $ value on them.
Oh I'm sure there's value there, it's just that I'm not going all out about some damn brakes lol. My criteria is all about is the car considered relatively "cool" to the general population, do women in general find it sexy, does it have a sporty image, and does it FIT within my car budget of no more than $22,000 for the car and all accessories? If so, I'm considering it as an option.

I was going to get either the Camaro or the Challenger, both fit all criteria. I went with the Camaro.

Quote:
I hope when you get to be my age that you don't look back on the automotive part of your life and regret that you hadn't bought a little more Camaro fun along the way instead of another 300 - 500 shares of GM stock (it closed at $29.93 this afternoon).
If my LIFESTYLE changes and I become more of a "speed guy" or a "track guy", I will surely get the V8 package next time around. If my lifestyle doesn't change, I'm not getting a V8 package because again I'm not using the additional "stuff" so why am I going to pay $12k extra for "stuff" I'm not using?
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #222
failshift
Banned

Why didn't I get a V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post

- Total purchase costs no more than $22,000 because that's the car budget (I can GO MUCH higher in the budget, but I don't because again, this is a depreciating asset so I set my budget accordingly)

That's the criteria. The Camaro I purchased along with the accessories (24 inch wheels and MRTv2) fit the criteria.

Back when my car budget was $7,000 I would buy cars and add accessories to them so that it still came across with a "cool" look in general.

Well hey, to ME, if my car budget is over $20,000 then I'm going for the cool factor and something that women in general say turn them on. But that's ME lol.

Oh I'm sure there's value there, it's just that I'm not going all out about some damn brakes lol. My criteria is all about is the car considered relatively "cool" to the general population, do women in general find it sexy, does it have a sporty image, and does it FIT within my car budget of no more than $22,000 for the car and all accessories? If so, I'm considering it as an option.

I was going to get either the Camaro or the Challenger, both fit all criteria. I went with the Camaro.

If my LIFESTYLE changes and I become more of a "speed guy" or a "track guy", I will surely get the V8 package next time around. If my lifestyle doesn't change, I'm not getting a V8 package because again I'm not using the additional "stuff" so why am I going to pay $12k extra for "stuff" I'm not using?

Lmao. Pretty sure no woman ever has said. "Oh my gosh the sound of those 6 cylinders pumping really gets me going"
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #223
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post

You need to work on your self worth. Buying a car to please other people is the definition of low self esteem.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #224
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
I don't know what "text book" you're referring to but since you're so quick to adjust your "numbers" just further shows you have nothing to back up what you believe to be true in your head.
Nothing I've posted in relation to data and analysis just came from my head. A quick Google search and research will pull up the same thing for you buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I digress Tenacity

Besides, you'll be on here in a few months trying to get a turbo on that thing to make it move like a V8 anyways and it will cost you nearly as much as if you just bought the V8. Just like you put a MRT on it to try and make it sound like a V8
Whoa now, I did not put the MRTv2 on it to make it sound like a V8. A V8 is an ENGINE, MRTv2 is a higher performing exhaust. The MRTv2 was to add a "muscle note" to the car, that's a "muscle note" in general...and that's what it did.

It wasn't to try to match a V8 sound which is MUCH louder with a rumbling aspect.

I believe all stock Camaro V6s should have the MRTv2 on them. I bet you if they did, that would further eat into Camaro V8 sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I love the look of the Camaro, but when anyone buys a machine based only on looks, I gotta wonder how many times you check yourself out in the mirror each day and how many selfies you got piling up.
Well, I provided the criteria for buying a car for ME. Maybe that's not the same for you, maybe you care about all that "other stuff" like brakes, V8 engines, and tearing up the track. If that's what's important to you...do it.

At the end of the day, we are all Camaro brothers
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote